Do i need to state i'm applying to their program?

• Admissions
  • Thread starter annihilatorM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program State
In summary, many graduate schools ask for letters of motivation or intent. While it is important to state your reasons for wanting to attend the school and work with the professors there, stating the blatantly obvious can be a waste of space. You should read the application instructions carefully and contact the school if you have any questions.
annihilatorM
Hello, I am in the process of applying to graduate schools and most of them request either a letter of motivation or letter of intent. After looking at many examples i have noticed almost all of them start with a paragraph explaining who they are, the university they are coming from, their major and that they are interested in applying to such and such program. I want to know, is it really necessary to explicitly state these things? a lot of these letters have word limits, some very short (400 words) and i feel like this is a waste of space. I mean, most of these things are obvious or can be seen in other parts of my application.

Also, is there a difference between a statement of purpose,letter of intent and letter of motivation? the examples all seem to be answering the same questions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's good to have a paragraph about what interests you about the department and focus on people you are interested in working with. There may be some unique thing in the department that stands out (like the institute of molecular engineering at UChicago which was created very recently or the center for ultra cold atoms collaboration for Harvard/MIT).

radium said:
It's good to have a paragraph about what interests you about the department and focus on people you are interested in working with. There may be some unique thing in the department that stands out (like the institute of molecular engineering at UChicago which was created very recently or the center for ultra cold atoms collaboration for Harvard/MIT).

I have no problem talking about their university and why they are a good match for me, in fact that is a very important part. I just don't see the point in writing something like: " My name is John Smith and i am currently a senior at x university, majoring in physics. I'm writing to express my interest in the theoretical physics masters program at the university of x..."

I think you have the basic idea.

The people who read these things want to know why you've chosen to apply to their program. They're often looking for evidence that you're aware of what you're doing and that you're not just trying to get in anywhere you can. They want evidence that you'll be successful in the program. And sometimes they want to know some unique facts about you. Stating the blatantly obvious, as you've pointed out, is unnecessary and can be a waster of space.

I'm not sure that there is any major difference between a "statement of purpose" or "letter of intent." What's important is that you read over the application instructions carefully and try to respond to any specific details that are asked for. If you're unsure about something, contact the school for further instruction.

Related to Do i need to state i'm applying to their program?

1. Do I need to state that I am applying to a specific program in my application?

Yes, it is important to clearly state the program you are applying to in your application. This helps the admissions committee to properly review your application and consider you for the appropriate program.

2. Will stating the program I am applying to increase my chances of being accepted?

Yes, stating the specific program you are applying to shows your commitment and interest in that particular field of study. This can make you a more competitive applicant and increase your chances of being accepted.

3. What if I am unsure about the program I want to apply to?

If you are unsure about which program to apply to, it is best to do some research and reach out to the admissions office for guidance. It is important to apply to a program that aligns with your interests and career goals.

4. Can I change the program I am applying to after submitting my application?

In most cases, it is possible to change the program you are applying to after submitting your application. However, it is best to contact the admissions office to inquire about their specific policies and procedures for program changes.

5. Is it necessary to mention the program in my personal statement or essay?

It is not necessary to mention the specific program in your personal statement or essay, but it can be helpful to briefly mention why you are interested in the program and how it aligns with your academic and career goals.