Do I Have a Shot at Getting into Texas A&M's Aerospace Engineering Program?

• Thread starter Angry Citizen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chances
In summary, Based on your updated situation, it seems like you have a good chance of getting into Texas A&M's aerospace engineering program. Your strong performance in math and science courses at the community college level should outweigh your lower standardized test scores and lack of high school. It may be beneficial to reach out to an advisor in the department for more specific advice on your chances of admission.
Angry Citizen
Okay, some time ago I made a post here asking about my chances of getting into Texas A&M's aerospace engineering program. My situation at the time was that I was a homeschooled student with a not-so-good math ACT (25, which is 1 point above the minimum for engineers), but a lot of gen-ed courses and three math classes (I'd taken precalculus and below), all but one of which (a history class) I'd made A's in at my community college. Needless to say, I didn't get in. Here's my updated situation:

B in calculus I
A in calculus II
A in general chem I
B in calc-based physics I

And I'll be taking calc III, gen chem II, and physics II during Spring, and it's doubtful I'll get a C in any of them. Do I have a shot? Will my above-average math and science scores at the community college level get me past my standardized test scores and lack of high school?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

*shrugs* I'm guessing nobody here is all that familiar with A&M's aerospace engineering program. Have you tried their website/admissions people/open house/etc?

Yes, what story said is right - it's really tough to make a judgement on this question, because it's so specific to one program at one school. Story's advice to contact the school is a good idea, too. Try talking to an advisor in the department, they'll probably give better advice than a general admissions counselor.

My take: I doubt your lack of high school will be a big deal, since you've been successful at the community college level.

As a scientist, it's important to look at all aspects of an individual's academic background and not just focus on one or two factors. In this case, it seems like the student has shown significant improvement in their math and science courses at the community college level. This demonstrates a strong dedication and ability to succeed in these subjects. Additionally, the fact that they are taking higher level math and science courses in the spring shows a continued commitment to their academic pursuits.

While standardized test scores are important, they are not the only indicator of academic potential. The student's grades in their math and science courses, as well as their overall GPA, should also be taken into consideration. It's also important to note that standardized tests do not always accurately reflect a student's abilities and can be affected by a variety of factors.

Based on the updated information provided, it seems like the student has a strong chance of getting into the aerospace engineering program at Texas A&M. Their improved grades in math and science courses, along with their continued academic progress, demonstrate a strong potential for success in the program. It's also worth mentioning that the student's homeschooling background should not be seen as a disadvantage, as many homeschooled students have excelled in higher education.

In conclusion, while there are no guarantees, it seems like the student has a good chance of getting into the program based on their academic achievements and dedication. As a scientist, it's important to consider all aspects of a person's academic background and not just rely on standardized test scores.

Related to Do I Have a Shot at Getting into Texas A&M's Aerospace Engineering Program?

1. What are the main factors that affect my transfer chances?

The main factors that affect your transfer chances include your academic performance, the selectivity of the college you are transferring to, the availability of space in your desired major, and your extracurricular activities and personal statement. Other factors may also include letters of recommendation, standardized test scores, and any special circumstances that may have affected your college experience.

2. How do I determine which colleges are best for my transfer?

It is important to research and consider a variety of factors when determining which colleges are best for your transfer. This may include looking at the transfer acceptance rates and requirements of different colleges, the majors and programs offered, the location and campus culture, and any financial aid or scholarships available for transfer students. Visiting the campuses and talking to current students can also provide valuable insight.

3. Can I transfer to a more selective college than my current one?

It is possible to transfer to a more selective college than your current one, but it may be more challenging. Admissions committees at these colleges will likely consider your academic performance and extracurricular activities, as well as any specific transfer requirements or prerequisites. It is important to thoroughly research the transfer process and requirements of the colleges you are interested in to determine your chances of being accepted.

4. How important are my grades in determining my transfer chances?

Your grades are a significant factor in determining your transfer chances, as they are a reflection of your academic performance and potential. Most colleges will look at your overall GPA as well as your grades in specific courses related to your intended major. However, your grades are not the only factor that admissions committees consider, and they may also take into account other aspects of your application.

5. When is the best time to transfer?

The best time to transfer will depend on your individual circumstances and goals. Some students choose to transfer after completing their first year of college, while others may wait until they have completed their associate's degree or have a specific number of credits. It is important to carefully consider your academic and personal goals and determine the best time for you to transfer. Keep in mind that some colleges may have specific transfer application deadlines and requirements.