Divergence of downhill flowing water

In summary, divergence is the scalar sum of the acceleration vectors at a given point in an open channel. This definition is correct, but the divergence of water flowing downhill in an open channel is nonzero.
UMath1
I just learned that an incompressible fluid must have zero divergence within a given control volume. Given that the divergence of a fluid at a point(x,y,z) can be found by taking the scalar sum of the of the x, y, z acceleration vectors at the given point, wouldn't this mean that water flowing downstream, consequently accelerating, would have a nonzero divergence? Does that mean that accelerating water is compressible?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the water is in an open channel then it could be accelerating and the level of the water could change to allow the same volume flow past a given point and allow the water to be going faster.
In a pipe, the water wouldn't accelerate.

No. The stream will simply get thinner.

You can test this yourself with a stream of tap water falling down. The stream gets thinner downwards.
If the stream gets too thin, it will break into individual drops.

Likes sophiecentaur
sophiecentaur said:
If the water is in an open channel then it could be accelerating and the level of the water could change to allow the same volume flow past a given point and allow the water to be going faster.
In a pipe, the water wouldn't accelerate.

I understand that the flux over a closed control volume would be zero due to the change in water level. I can't however seem to reconcile this with the definition of divergence being the scalar sum of the acceleration vectors at a given point. At any given point in an open channel, the water should have a nonzero divergence according to this definition.

img370.png
I am referring to this definition, where A is the velocity vector field of the fluid. In the case of downhill accelerating water, dAx/dx and dAy/dy should be nonzero. Therefore, div A should be nonzero.

Attachments

• img370.png
    img370.png
    929 bytes · Views: 892
UMath1 said:
At any given point in an open channel, the water should have a nonzero divergence according to this definition.
No. Take an elemental cubic volume in the stream.The flux into the upstream face will be the same as the sum of the fluxes in and out of the other five faces. That is a description of the divergence.

UMath1 said:
View attachment 215559 I am referring to this definition, where A is the velocity vector field of the fluid. In the case of downhill accelerating water, dAx/dx and dAy/dy should be nonzero. Therefore, div A should be nonzero.
Why are you not considering the derivative in the z direction?

Assuming the water were flowing down a smooth hill the acceleration would only occur in two directions. Depending on the coordinate axis orientation chosen, it could be any two. In this case, I take the z derivative to be zero.

UMath1 said:
Assuming the water were flowing down a smooth hill the acceleration would only occur in two directions. Depending on the coordinate axis orientation chosen, it could be any two. In this case, I take the z derivative to be zero.
Not true. The stream is getting thinner. All three dimensions are involved.
You need to work towards the accepted solution rather than finding arguments to show it’s wrong. You have not found a ‘flaw’ in the theory.

UMath1 said:
the definition of divergence being the scalar sum of the acceleration vectors at a given point.
You are mixing up spatial derivatives and the time derivative.

That makes sense. I am trying to get a better understanding of what it means in water flow downhill by drawing velocity vector fields. Can you check to see if my drawings are correct? I am confused about the streamlines along the surface of the slope and the streamlines in the middle of the pipe.

Attachments

• 20171124_191905.jpg
    20171124_191905.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 556
Each of the velocity derivatives in the divergence can be interpreted kinematically as the rate of linear strain in that direction. Just as in the case of thermal expansion, where the sum of the 3 linear strains is equal to the volumetric strain, here, the sum of the three rates of linear strain is equal to the rate of volumetric strain. But since the material is incompressible, its rate of volumetric strain is equal to zero.

Related to Divergence of downhill flowing water

1. What is the definition of "divergence of downhill flowing water"?

The divergence of downhill flowing water refers to the spreading apart or separation of water as it flows downhill. It is a result of the topography of the land and the forces acting on the water, such as gravity and friction.

2. How does divergence of downhill flowing water affect erosion?

The divergence of downhill flowing water can increase erosion by creating multiple channels for the water to flow through, thus increasing its force and ability to carry sediment. It can also lead to the formation of gullies and canyons as the water carves its way through the land.

3. What factors contribute to the divergence of downhill flowing water?

The main factors that contribute to the divergence of downhill flowing water are the slope of the land, the volume and velocity of the water, and the resistance of the surface it is flowing over. Other factors, such as the presence of vegetation or man-made structures, can also affect the divergence of water flow.

4. How does the divergence of downhill flowing water impact the surrounding environment?

The divergence of downhill flowing water can have both positive and negative impacts on the surrounding environment. On one hand, it can help to shape the land and create diverse habitats for plants and animals. On the other hand, if not managed properly, it can lead to soil erosion, water pollution, and flooding.

5. What are some methods for managing the divergence of downhill flowing water?

There are various methods for managing the divergence of downhill flowing water, including the construction of terraces, contour plowing, and the use of riparian buffers. These techniques help to slow down the flow of water and prevent erosion, while also promoting the infiltration of water into the ground and reducing the risk of flooding.