Distorted orbital shell when E-field applied (Dielectrics)

In summary, the problem involves an applied E-field of 10,000 [V/m] and two electrons in the outer orbital shell that will distort with this field. To find the spacing between the center of the nucleus and the average location of the electrons, we need to solve for the magnitude of polarization, which is dipole moment per unit volume. This can be done by converting the "dipole moment per unit volume" to individual dipoles, taking into account the atomic density of 1028 atoms/m3. Once this is done, the magnitude of polarization can be calculated by multiplying the charge of an electron with the magnitude of the individual dipole moment.
satchmo05

Homework Statement

Єr = 3.0, atomic density = 1028 atoms/m3. The mag. of the E-field is 10,000 [V/m]. Two electrons in outer orbital shell will distort with an applied E-field. If both both electrons follow some orbital path as a pair, find spacing between center of nucleus and average location of electrons.

Homework Equations

Єr = 1 + Χe
Є = Єor
P = Єoe*E

The Attempt at a Solution

If I solve for the magnitude of polarization, I come up with mag(P) = Єoe*mag(E). If so, I receive mag(P) = 1.771e-7 [V/m]. If need be, the magnitude of the electric flux density is: mag(D) = Є*mag(E) = 2.66e-7 [C/m2]. What is really throwing me off is the atomic density! I have no idea how to incorporate this it does not seem applicable with any of the formulas in my text. I am kind of confused by this problem, in general. I do not know how to get past my attempt above at working some of the variables.

I appreciate any help you may be able to give me, and I thank you sincerely in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Electric polarization P is dipole moment per unit volume. You need to solve for the individual dipole moments. So you need to convert this "dipole moment per unit volume" to individual dipoles knowing the atomic density.

and then from there, I set the magnitude of P equal to Q*mag(d), where Q is equal to the charge of an electron. Is this correct?

First find the dipole per atom before you start plugging in charges and distance.

Alrighty, thank you much!

Related to Distorted orbital shell when E-field applied (Dielectrics)

1. What is a distorted orbital shell?

A distorted orbital shell refers to the change in shape of an atom's electron cloud when an external electric field is applied. This change is caused by the attraction or repulsion of the electrons by the electric field, resulting in a distortion of the atom's electron distribution.

2. How does an electric field affect the orbital shell?

An electric field causes the electrons in the atom's electron cloud to be attracted or repelled, depending on the direction of the field. This results in a distortion of the electron distribution, leading to a change in the shape of the orbital shell.

3. Are all dielectrics affected by an electric field in the same way?

No, different dielectrics can have different responses to an applied electric field. This is because the strength of the electric field required to distort the orbital shell depends on the dielectric constant of the material.

4. How does the distortion of an orbital shell affect the properties of a dielectric material?

The distortion of an orbital shell can lead to changes in the dielectric constant, polarizability, and other properties of a material. These changes can affect the material's ability to store and transmit electric charges, as well as its overall behavior in an electric field.

5. Is the distortion of an orbital shell reversible?

Yes, the distortion of an orbital shell is a reversible process. When the external electric field is removed, the electrons in the atom's electron cloud return to their original positions, and the orbital shell returns to its normal shape.