Finding the electric field of insulated shell

In summary: That is right for r>r2. What about r1<r<r2?So Q = p dv = p 4πr^2 DrNo. On the left you have a finite Q, the others are infinitesimals ('d').
Physics Dad
An insulating spherical shell of inner radius r1 and outer radius r2 is charged so that its volume density is given by:

ρ(r) = 0 for 0 ≤ r < r1
p(r) = A/r for r1 ≤ r ≤ r2
p(r) = 0 for r > r2

Where A is a constant and r is the radial distance from the center of the shell. Find the electric field due to the shell for all values of r.

Homework Equations

Eqn 1 - ∫E⋅ds=Qenc0
Eqn 2 - ρ=Qenc/V

The Attempt at a Solution

First I got an equation for ρ(r) in terms of the spherical volume

ρ(r) = 3Qenc/4πεr3

I then equated this in terms of Qenc and plugged into Eqn 1

Qenc = 4ρπr3/3

so knowing the area of a sphere is 4πr2

∫E⋅ds = 4ρπr3/3ε0

From here, knowing that ρ(r) = 0 for two case, this means that in both cases Eqn 2 = 0, so I basically set:

E⋅4πr2 = 0 so in cases 1 and 3, E = 1/4πr2

In the case where ρ(r) = A/r, is set:

E⋅4πr2 = 4Aπr3/3ε0r

Did a bit of Algebra-kedabra and ended up with:

E = A/ε0

Intuitively, this seems to tell me that the electric field is constant anywhere in the within the two radii, whilst outside it is inversely proportional to the radius.

Basically, I want to know have I done anything stupid or have I gone the right way?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics Dad said:
First I calculated the value of ρ(r)
##\rho(r)## was given !

Yes, fair enough, I meant equated Qenc in terms of ρ.

Is there anything else wrong with my attempt?

Many thanks

Physics Dad said:
Qenc = 4ρπr3/3
So what would be the formula if the density were constant?

haruspex said:
So what would be the formula if the density were constant?
So Q = p dv = p 4πr^2 Dr

Again, for case 1 and 3 this would still be zero.

For case 2 this would be integrated from r2 to r1?

So Q = 2Aπ(r2^2 - r1^2)

So E = A(r2^2 - r1^2)/2€0r^2

Sorry, doing this on my phone, have no symbols.

Thanks

Physics Dad said:
So Q = p dv = p 4πr^2 Dr

Again, for case 1 and 3 this would still be zero.

For case 2 this would be integrated from r2 to r1?

So Q = 2Aπ(r2^2 - r1^2)

So E = A(r2^2 - r1^2)/2€0r^2

Sorry, doing this on my phone, have no symbols.

Thanks
That is right for r>r2. What about r1<r<r2?

Physics Dad said:
So Q = p dv = p 4πr^2 Dr
No. On the left you have a finite Q, the others are infinitesimals ('d').

So if you want to write something like this very casually (as is usual in physics), you write $$
dQ = \rho \; dV = \rho \;4πr^2 \; dr$$ where you have done two integrations in the last step (##dV = r^2 \sin\theta\; d\theta \,d\phi\, dr##) which you can do because ##\rho(\vec r)=\rho(r)##.

But ##dQ## still depends on ##r##, both in the ##\rho## factor and in the ##r^2##
##\mathstrut##

Related to Finding the electric field of insulated shell

1. What is an insulated shell?

An insulated shell is a conducting material that is surrounded by an insulating material, such as rubber or plastic. This allows for the flow of electric charge on the surface of the shell while preventing the flow of charge through the material itself.

2. How do you find the electric field of an insulated shell?

To find the electric field of an insulated shell, you must first determine the charge distribution on the surface of the shell. Then, you can use the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the total charge on the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell to the point where you want to find the electric field.

3. Can the electric field inside an insulated shell be zero?

Yes, the electric field inside an insulated shell can be zero if the net charge on the surface of the shell is also zero. This means that the positive and negative charges are evenly distributed on the surface, resulting in no net electric field inside the shell.

4. How does the electric field change when the distance from the center of an insulated shell changes?

The electric field follows an inverse-square law, meaning that as the distance from the center of the insulated shell increases, the electric field decreases. This is because the electric field is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a weaker field at farther distances.

5. Can the electric field of an insulated shell ever be negative?

No, the electric field of an insulated shell can never be negative. The electric field is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Since the direction of the electric field is determined by the sign of the charge, a negative electric field would indicate that the direction of the field is opposite to the direction of the charge, which is not possible.