Discrete Mathematics - Basic Set Theory : Assignment review : Q2

It is just that I have a problem with the following statement :A + D = { ∅, 2, 3}As I am not sure if this is correct, as my data shows :A = {1,3}D = { ∅, 1, 2 }so in this case , if duplicates are removed, we are left withA + D = {1, 3, 2} and not A + D = { ∅, 2, 3} Yes, in the case of the symmetric difference, the sets are combined and any duplicates are removed. In this case, the set {1} is a duplicate in both sets A and D,
Supierreious
Question 2:
--------------------

Homework Statement

Consider the following sets, where U represents a universal set :

U = {1, 2, 3, 4, ∅, {1}}
A = {1, 3}
B = {{1}, 1}
C = {2 , 4}
D = { ∅ , 1, 2 }

Homework Equations

A+D is the set : (Choose only one )

1. {1, 3}
2. {1, 2, 3}
3. {∅, 2, 3}
4. {2, 3}

The Attempt at a Solution

This is quite an easy one, however i am a bit confused - will explain now.
The answer , to my knowledge, is number 3.

If the 2 sets are combined with '+', the sets are added together, however all duplicates are removed. when all duplicates are removed , we are left with the following :

A + D = { ∅, 2, 3}

Please confirm if the above is correct.

However, the question I have :

If ∅ is included in every set, then why do we have to include it in this set, and additionally, if it is in every set, will it not be that it must be removed from A + D, so that we end with the set A+ D = { 2, 3 }

I am a bit confused with ∅ being included in every set.

Please be so kind as to help me with this one and advise where I am making an obvious error.

Physics news on Phys.org
Supierreious said:
Question 2:
--------------------

Homework Statement

Consider the following sets, where U represents a universal set :

U = {1, 2, 3, 4, ∅, {1}}
A = {1, 3}
B = {{1}, 1}
C = {2 , 4}
D = { ∅ , 1, 2 }

Homework Equations

A+D is the set : (Choose only one )

1. {1, 3}
2. {1, 2, 3}
3. {∅, 2, 3}
4. {2, 3}

The Attempt at a Solution

This is quite an easy one, however i am a bit confused - will explain now.
The answer , to my knowledge, is number 3.

If the 2 sets are combined with '+', the sets are added together, however all duplicates are removed. when all duplicates are removed , we are left with the following :

A + D = { ∅, 2, 3}

Please confirm if the above is correct.

However, the question I have :

If ∅ is included in every set, then why do we have to include it in this set, and additionally, if it is in every set, will it not be that it must be removed from A + D, so that we end with the set A+ D = { 2, 3 }

I am a bit confused with ∅ being included in every set.

Please be so kind as to help me with this one and advise where I am making an obvious error.
∅ = {} is the empty set, also known as the null set. It is not a member of every set, it is a subset of every set.

In this problem, the set D has {}, a.k.a. ∅, as one of its elements, just as set B has the set {1} as one of its elements.

For the sets in this problem the set, ∅, is a subset of all of them. However, the set, ∅, is an element of only sets, U and D. Also, the set {∅}, a.k.a. {{}}, is a subset of sets, U and D, but no others.

Thanks for the reply, so the correct answer , would be number 3.

Please advise if this is correct, as this is what I understand from the set having {} as a sub set, however not {} as an element.

Thanks again for helping me.

I don't believe that "+" is standard notation for an operation in basic set theory. You appear to be using it to mean the symmetric difference , more commonly, I believe, given as [itex]A\Delta B[/itex]. Is that correct?

If so then, yes, the symmetric difference of A and D is {∅, 2, 3}. Yes, ∅ is a subset of every set. It is a member of a set only if it is specifically given as such, as in "D".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ... yes, you are correct. I have not heard of 'symmetric differences' before, and had to google it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetric_difference is what I found.

So to me the following is thus the same :

+ and your sign means the same.

what is the international convention ?

Related to Discrete Mathematics - Basic Set Theory : Assignment review : Q2

1. What is discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects, such as integers, graphs, and logical statements. It is used to model and analyze systems that have a countable number of distinct elements.

2. What is basic set theory?

Basic set theory is a fundamental branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It includes concepts such as union, intersection, and complement of sets, and is the foundation for many other areas of mathematics.

3. What is an assignment in discrete mathematics?

In discrete mathematics, an assignment refers to assigning elements to a set or values to variables. It can also refer to assigning truth values to logical statements.

4. What is the purpose of reviewing an assignment in discrete mathematics?

The purpose of reviewing an assignment in discrete mathematics is to ensure that all concepts and techniques used are correct and to identify any mistakes or errors. This helps to improve understanding and problem-solving skills in the subject.

5. How can I improve my understanding of basic set theory?

To improve your understanding of basic set theory, it is important to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the properties and operations of sets. You can also study from textbooks, attend lectures or online courses, and seek help from a tutor or mentor.