Finding Complement of a set with respect to space U

• Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set Space
In summary, the complement C' of the set C with respect to the space U is defined as the elements of the space that do not exist inside the set. For the first problem, the answer is C' = {(x,y,z): x^2+y^2+z^2 < 1}. For the second problem, the answer is C' = {(x,y) : x^2+y^2 ≥ 2 and |x|+|y| ≤ 2}. Sketching a graph can help visualize the sets and find the correct answer.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the complement C' of the set C with respect to the space U if:

1. U = {(x,y,z) : x^2+y^2+z^2 ≤1}, C = {(x,y,z) : x^2+y^2+z^2 = 1}
2. U = {(x,y) : |x| + |y| ≤ 2}, C = {(x,y) : x^2 + y^2 < 2}

Homework Equations

Definition of complement: The elements of the space that do not exist inside the set.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to reassure myself that I am doing things right.

For 1: My answer is C' = {(x,y,z): x^2+y^2+z^2 < 1}
However, why is this right? Couldn't I have (sqrt(1/3), sqrt(1/3), sqrt(1/3)) as (x,y,z) for the set C = 1, and then have C' = (sqrt(1/3), sqrt(1/3), 0) and then we have x and y equal in both C and C' ? Is my answer wrong or what am I missing in the understanding here?

For 2: x^2+y^2 < 2 is a circle with radius sqrt(2) where as |x| + |y| ≤ 2 is a square with corners on each x = - 2, x = 2, y= - 2, y = 2. So the area i am looking for is |x| + |y| - x^2 + y^2 ≤ 2.
But I am not sure how to put this into a final answer.

I can visualize it via the area, but it's hard to put this into an answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
and then we have x and y equal
It does not matter if x and y are equal if not also z is equal. The elements of your set are combinations of three numbers. If those numbers are not all the same, the elements are not the same.

RJLiberator said:
For 2: x^2+y^2 < 2 is a circle with radius sqrt(2) where as |x| + |y| ≤ 2 is a square with corners on each x = - 2, x = 2, y= - 2, y = 2. So the area i am looking for is |x| + |y| - x^2 + y^2 ≤ 2.
This is simply incorrect. You need to find out what points in the square are not points in the disk.

Likes RJLiberator
Thanks for your help. For part 1, I understand now and see why I was confused. Now I understand that I have the correct answer.

For part 2, after thinking about it, I also understand why my area-area part did not work out.
It's more to say:
(|x|+|y| ≤ 2) - (x^2+y^2 < 2) = the complement, but that's not a good answer. I need to find the points in the square that are not points in the disk as you stated.

I see that |x|+|y| = 2 is definitely in the complement.

What I am thinking here is

Answer: C' = {(x,y): sqrt(2) ≤ |x|+|y| ≤ 2}

This takes out the middle part and leaves the good ends. However, their seems to be an error in that sqrt(2) is just another square, but we want a circle.

Hint: You can put several conditions into the definition of the set.

Likes RJLiberator
RJLiberator said:

Orodruin said:
This is simply incorrect. You need to find out what points in the square are not points in the disk.
@RJLiberator, if you haven't already done so, sketch a graph of the two sets. If you have done this, then disregard this advice.

Likes RJLiberator
Hm. I think I was making this harder then I needed to make it:

C' = {(x,y) : x^2+y^2 ≥ 2 and |x|+|y| ≤ 2 } This seems to get the correct area.

Related to Finding Complement of a set with respect to space U

What does finding the complement of a set with respect to space U mean?

Finding the complement of a set with respect to space U means finding all the elements that are not included in the given set, but are included in the universal set or space U.

What is the universal set or space U?

The universal set or space U is the set that contains all the possible elements that could be included in a given problem or scenario. It is used as a reference set to compare and find the complement of a given set.

How do you find the complement of a set with respect to space U?

To find the complement of a set with respect to space U, you can use the set difference operation. This involves subtracting the given set from the universal set or space U, which will give you all the elements that are not included in the given set.

Why is finding the complement of a set with respect to space U useful?

Finding the complement of a set with respect to space U can be useful in various scenarios, such as probability and statistics. It can help in determining the probability of an event not occurring, or in finding the number of elements that do not belong to a given category.

What are some real-life applications of finding the complement of a set with respect to space U?

Finding the complement of a set with respect to space U can be applied in various fields, such as market research, genetics, and data analysis. For example, in market research, finding the complement of a set can help in identifying potential customers who do not fall into a particular target group. In genetics, it can assist in identifying genetic traits that are not present in a specific population.