Discharge a magnetized bearing

In summary, we stored a steel ball bearing on top of a magnet and believe it is magnetized due to the ball slowing down at parts of our rollercoaster where there is any steel wiring that ties/supports the tubing. To test whether or not the ball is magnetized, we need to move the bearing around near a magnet and see if it affects the display. If it does, we need to "degauss" the ball. Alternatives to degaussing the ball include finding an old-fashioned TV/radio repair shop or motor/generator/alternator repair shop, or someone who does bulk erasing of magnetic tapes.
mike_302
WE're usign a steel ball bearing for our physics rollercoaster project, and we happened to store the ball ontop of a decently strong magnet over the course of a few nights, and we believe that the ball is magnetized because the ball slows down at parts of our rollercoaster where there is any steel wiring that ties/supports the tubing.

So basically we need to know how to discharge the ball, if it is at all possible that the ball HAS become magnetized. (We also removed some wires where the ball was stopping, and suddenly it could go much further, so that supports the theory) ... You tell us, can we discahrge it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Best bet is to get another fresh ball bearing. (Better yet would be to swap it with the best team's ball bearing..., but that would be cheating... forget I said that.)

If that's not an option for some reason, you need to "degauss" the ball bearing. A degaussing field is an oscillating magnetic field that slowly decays over time, until it goes away to zero:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degauss

If you move the ball around near a magnet, rolling it to all angles, and slowly move the ball away from the magnet, still rolling it all around, then you will be able to mostly degauss the ball. It may take some experimentation to get it right. You can test the results by seeing if the ball can pick up any iron filings or light pieces of metal like paper clips, etc.

thanks! I will try my best to do that... Obviously since I don't haev amachine it won't be easy, and I can't determine whether it wil produce results but... Anything to get this thing rolling again.

Ask around for an old-fashioned TV/radio repair shop. They probably have a deGaussing coil. If not, see if you can find a motor/generator/alternator repair shop; they should have sort of one though they probably call it a "growler". As a last resort, anyone who does bulk erasing of magnetic tapes should have one.

The easy way to check the magnetism is to move the bearing over your computer monitor and see if it messes up the display.

TVP45 said:
The easy way to check the magnetism is to move the bearing over your computer monitor and see if it messes up the display.

No, no, no! Do not do that, or you may mess up the display (leaving residual magnetism in the shadow mask). Color monitors have built-in degaussing coils, but they are not generally sized strong enough to remove residual magnetism from having a magnet put up to the monitor screen.

I made that mistake once, and that was enough. It took me a long time with a hand-held degaussing coil to get my TV back to normal. Ack!

berkeman said:
No, no, no! Do not do that, or you may mess up the display (leaving residual magnetism in the shadow mask). Color monitors have built-in degaussing coils, but they are not generally sized strong enough to remove residual magnetism from having a magnet put up to the monitor screen.

I made that mistake once, and that was enough. It took me a long time with a hand-held degaussing coil to get my TV back to normal. Ack!

No guts, no glory. What's a little green in the corner of the screen going to matter?

TVP45 said:
The easy way to check the magnetism is to move the bearing over a CRT computer monitor at your local computer store and see if it messes up the display.

Fixed that for ya

Actually, I used to do this with a coworker's monitor until the day I really did magnetize the mask and had to get a coil to undo it before he found out. Now I just hold suspected magnets somewhere near and watch for tearing (I used to use my compass till I inadvertently switched poles).

JLobes said:
Fixed that for ya

:smile:

Related to Discharge a magnetized bearing

1. What is the purpose of discharging a magnetized bearing?

Discharging a magnetized bearing is necessary in order to remove any residual magnetism that may have built up in the bearing during use. This is important because residual magnetism can cause the bearing to attract metal particles, leading to increased friction and potential damage to the bearing.

2. How do you discharge a magnetized bearing?

To discharge a magnetized bearing, you will need a degaussing tool, which is a device that generates a strong magnetic field. Place the bearing on the degaussing tool and slowly rotate it in a circular motion for a few minutes. This will effectively remove any residual magnetism from the bearing.

3. Can any type of bearing be magnetized?

No, not all types of bearings can be magnetized. Bearings made of non-ferrous materials, such as ceramic or plastic, cannot be magnetized. Only bearings made of ferrous materials, such as steel, can become magnetized.

4. What are the potential risks of using a magnetized bearing?

If a bearing is magnetized, it can attract metal particles, leading to increased friction and potential damage to the bearing. This can result in decreased performance and potentially costly repairs or replacements.

5. How often should a magnetized bearing be discharged?

The frequency of discharging a magnetized bearing will depend on the specific application and usage of the bearing. In general, it is recommended to discharge a bearing at least once a year to prevent any potential buildup of residual magnetism.