Magnetic Field Strength & Maximum Weight Liftability

In summary, a magnetic field can lift objects if a current is running through the wire. The maximum weight that the magnetic field can lift is determined by the current and the strength of the field.
Hooligan383
Hello,
I am working on a project in which hollow carbon steel balls(1.5" diameter)(weighing 127.005g a piece) are placed in a plastic tube (1&5/8" innner diameter). Surrounding the plastic tube is enamel coated magnet wire(coiled around the plastic tube) in which a current(12 volts) is passing through the wire thus creating a magnetic field. My question is will the magnetic field be strong enough to lift the balls. Also what is the maximum weight that magnetic field produced can lift? Please include equations used. If you need any more details please feel free to ask. Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
why would the B field cause the balls to lift. I don't think anything will happen. Or am I crazy?

Yeah, I'm confused too. How, exactly, did you plan the balls be lifted with the magnetic field?

I thought the trains have a superconductor on them. The only way you could levitate stuff with a static field is if you have a superconductor or an E field with a charged object. B fields can't do work

ok...good point...how about i attract the balls from one end of the tube to the other end where the coils are present..will that work?

I think you need an AC current to produce a changing B field that will induce eddy currents in the material and that will produce a B field that will oppose the change in flux.
watch the last 20 minutes of this video he talk about magnetic levitation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the steel balls will be attracted to the ends of the electromagnet, but not to the center. The field inside a solenoid is pretty close to constant. The steel will be pulled in the direction of increasing field strength.

i did watch that video..very interesting and informative..but i think your close to what i want but not quite it..he levitated that doll by the repulsion of the physical wire to the conductor..it wasn't the magnetic field itself levitating the doll..maybe i am thinking of my project the wrong way..my goal is to move balls from one end of the tube to the other...maybe i should look into magnetic pull and repulsion rather than levitation...thank you for your help and time...much appreciated

It sounds like what you want is a coil gun. Look it up. You use multiple coils down a line.

that is exactly what i want to accomplish except i want the projectile to go in a loop...thank you

Thanks for your references.. i need help on this topic because i am doing an internship at a company, and i am trying to develop a Multiphase Heat Transfer System which is not powered by a pump.

Related to Magnetic Field Strength & Maximum Weight Liftability

1. What is magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength refers to the intensity or power of a magnetic field. It is a measure of the force exerted by the magnetic field on a unit magnetic pole placed at a specific point in the field.

2. How is magnetic field strength measured?

Magnetic field strength is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G). One tesla is equal to 10,000 gauss. The strength of a magnetic field can be measured using a magnetometer or a gaussmeter.

3. What factors affect magnetic field strength?

The strength of a magnetic field is affected by the distance from the source of the field, the size and shape of the magnet, and the material it is made of. The strength also decreases with distance from the source, following the inverse square law.

4. What is maximum weight liftability?

Maximum weight liftability is the maximum amount of weight that can be lifted by a magnet in a specific magnetic field strength. It is dependent on the strength of the magnet, the distance between the magnet and the object, and the weight of the object.

5. How can magnetic field strength affect weight liftability?

The stronger the magnetic field, the greater the weight liftability. However, there is a limit to how much weight a magnet can lift, even with a strong magnetic field. This is because the weight of the object and the distance from the magnet also play a role in determining the maximum weight liftability.