Differences between Fictional and Scientific Time Warps

In summary, a time loop is a fictional experience while a closed time curve is a real experience in which an object in the curve would collide with itself.
TheQuestionGuy14
Hey. So I was curious what are the main differences between:

1) Fiction: Time Loops, like the one seen in Groundhog Day or Edge of Tomorrow

And

2) Scientific: Closed Timelike Curves: Which occur in certain solutions of General Relativity.

Note: Sorry, a lot of the time before I thought time loops from movies were CTCs, thus thought they were real, but someone told me they were different and I want to know the main differences.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing I would say is that CTCs are part of "Mathematical Physics", not "Observed Physics". So they haven't fully lost their "fictional" tag.
That said, there is also the problem that an object in such a loop would collide with itself. That's not a problem for a photon, but us baryon creatures might find the experience pretty crowded.

.Scott said:
The first thing I would say is that CTCs are part of "Mathematical Physics", not "Observed Physics". So they haven't fully lost their "fictional" tag.
That said, there is also the problem that an object in such a loop would collide with itself. That's not a problem for a photon, but us baryon creatures might find the experience pretty crowded.
Thanks, but my question is what is different from a time loop and a CTC. And what makes a time loop more fictional than a CTC?

I am not familiar with "Edge of Tomorrow".

So let's take Ground Hog Day. In that case, the world starts out the same at 6am - except for Bill's memory. Bill is allowed to accumulate information over thousands of restarts with nothing else in the world ever changing. There is nothing about a CTC that would provide a mechanism for that.

For CTCs, not all CTCs are created (or imagined) equally. But we can imagine one for our purposes. First, we would need something pretty spectacular to create the right conditions. Perhaps some sort of variation on black holes. Then, as we reached the time/space location where we started, we would see ourselves. So, to make this survivable, let's say we are in a maneuverable spaceship. As we approach our past self, we would maneuver to avoid a collision - while at the same time seeing many other future occurrences of ourselves maneuver to avoid the crowd. After several "orbits" we would be well advised to break out of the loop - which we should be able to do with relatively simple maneuvers.

BUT as I said before, these CTCs may well be completely fictional. They violate some pretty strong rules - such as the prohibition against duplicating quantum states.

Likes TheQuestionGuy14
.Scott said:
I am not familiar with "Edge of Tomorrow".

So let's take Ground Hog Day. In that case, the world starts out the same at 6am - except for Bill's memory. Bill is allowed to accumulate information over thousands of restarts with nothing else in the world ever changing. There is nothing about a CTC that would provide a mechanism for that.

For CTCs, not all CTCs are created (or imagined) equally. But we can imagine one for our purposes. First, we would need something pretty spectacular to create the right conditions. Perhaps some sort of variation on black holes. Then, as we reached the time/space location where we started, we would see ourselves. So, to make this survivable, let's say we are in a maneuverable spaceship. As we approach our past self, we would maneuver to avoid a collision - while at the same time seeing many other future occurrences of ourselves maneuver to avoid the crowd. After several "orbits" we would be well advised to break out of the loop - which we should be able to do with relatively simple maneuvers.

BUT as I said before, these CTCs may well be completely fictional. They violate some pretty strong rules - such as the prohibition against duplicating quantum states.

So really Bill isn't in anything related to a CTC, just movie magic (as his mind magically isn't effected). Right?

Related to Differences between Fictional and Scientific Time Warps

1. What is a fictional time warp?

A fictional time warp is a concept used in works of fiction, particularly science fiction, where time is distorted or manipulated in some way. This can include traveling through time, time loops, or alternate timelines.

2. How is a fictional time warp different from a scientific time warp?

A fictional time warp is purely a creation of the author's imagination and does not have any scientific basis. It is used as a plot device to create intriguing storylines and explore ideas about time travel and alternate realities. On the other hand, a scientific time warp refers to the theoretical concept of bending or warping space-time through the manipulation of gravity, as proposed by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity.

3. Can a fictional time warp actually exist in real life?

No, a fictional time warp is purely a creation of fiction and does not have any scientific evidence to support its existence. While scientists have explored the concept of time travel and alternate realities, there is currently no known way to create a time warp as depicted in works of fiction.

4. How do characters in fiction typically experience a time warp?

The experience of a time warp can vary in fiction, but it often involves a physical or mental displacement in time. This can include characters being transported to a different time period, experiencing time at a different rate, or encountering alternate versions of themselves or others.

5. How do scientific time warps differ from fictional ones in terms of consequences?

In fiction, time warps often have dramatic consequences for the characters and the world they inhabit. These consequences can include altering the course of history, changing the present, or creating paradoxes. In contrast, the consequences of a scientific time warp are purely theoretical and have not been proven or observed in real life.