Difference between real and complex signals

In summary,The difference between real and complex signals is that a complex signal contains phase information. This is useful for solving problems involving two sinusoidal signals.
MikeSv
Hello everyone.

Iam trying to get my head around the difference between real and complex numbers, but Iam having a hard time...
I read that the difference is that a complex signal contains phase information.

If I look at a real signal --> x(t) = Acos(wt + Θ)
and compare it with a complex --> x(t) = Acos(wt + Θ) + i Asin(wt + Θ)

I can only see that both the real and the complex signal have phase information...

So what exactly is the difference ?

Thanks in advance for any help,

kind regards,

Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi and thank you so much for your reply and the link to the article. I went through it but I still couldn't figure it out.

As I have understood its about the direction (phase).
But what does that mean with respect to a sinusoidal signal.

Is there a difference between then phases in the real and complex notation in my first post?

Thanks again,

Kind regards,

Michael

If you are only interested in one signal, then it makes no difference which notation you use, (sin, complex, power series, expotential) they are all the same thing.

The advantage of one notation or another comes when you try to do things with it. For example, adding two sinusoidal signals,
##A\sin{(\omega{t}+\theta_A)}+B\sin{(\omega{t}+\theta_B)}=C\sin{(\omega{t}+\theta_C)}##

Using complex, it is very easy to solve for ##C## and ##\theta_C##. How would you do that with sin notation?

Likes MikeSv
anorlunda said:
If you are only interested in one signal, then it makes no difference which notation you use, (sin, complex, power series, expotential) they are all the same thing.

The advantage of one notation or another comes when you try to do things with it. For example, adding two sinusoidal signals,
##A\sin{(\omega{t}+\theta_A)}+B\sin{(\omega{t}+\theta_B)}=C\sin{(\omega{t}+\theta_C)}##

Using complex, it is very easy to solve for ##C## and ##\theta_C##. How would you do that with sin notation?
Thank you so much!
That makes totally sense.

In complex notation Iam able to calculate Phase and Magnitude when looking at the complex plan. In The real notation it is much more difficult.

/Mike

Related to Difference between real and complex signals

1. What is a real signal?

A real signal is a signal that only contains real values. This means that the signal can be represented on the real number line and does not have any imaginary components.

2. What is a complex signal?

A complex signal is a signal that contains both real and imaginary components. This means that the signal cannot be represented on the real number line and requires the use of complex numbers to fully describe it.

3. What is the difference between real and complex signals?

The main difference between real and complex signals is that real signals only contain real values, while complex signals contain both real and imaginary components. This has implications for how these signals are represented and processed in mathematical and engineering applications.

4. How are real and complex signals used in science?

Real and complex signals are used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. Real signals are commonly used in the analysis of physical systems, while complex signals are used in the study of electromagnetic fields and in signal processing applications.

5. Can complex signals be converted to real signals?

Yes, complex signals can be converted to real signals by taking only the real component of the signal. This can be useful in simplifying the analysis of complex signals or in applications where only the real component is relevant.