Sinusoids as Phasors, Complex Exp, I&Q and Polar form

In summary,1. A cos (ωt+Φ) can be represented in polar form as the real part of Aei(ωt+Φ)= Acos(ωt+Φ) + iAsin(ωt+Φ).2. Point 1 and 2 are different, but Bcos(ωt)+Csin(ωt) can be represented in cartesian form as Acos(Φ) cos(ωt) - Asin(Φ)sin(ωt) via a trignometric identity.3. Complex sinusoids can be represented in polar form with the real and imaginary parts matching if A^2=B^
Natalie Johnson
Hi,

I am going around in circles, excuse the pun, with phasors, complex exponentials, I&Q and polar form...

1. A cos (ωt+Φ) = Acos(Φ) cos(ωt) - Asin(Φ)sin(ωt)
Right hand side is polar form ... left hand side is in cartesian (rectangular) form via a trignometric identity?

2. But then sometimes I read...
A cos (ωt+Φ) in polar form has corresponding cartesian form of Bcos(ωt)+Csin(ωt), which is fine to understand because this cartesian form gives X and Y coordinates on a cartesian coordinate axes of a vector in that axes.

3. But point 1 and 2 are different, how can Acos (ωt+Φ) in polar represent Bcos(ωt)+Csin(ωt) in cartesian but also be equal to Acos(Φ) cos(ωt) - Asin(Φ)sin(ωt) via a trignometric identity ---> Is it because Acos(Φ) and Asin(Φ) are constants and therefore also B and C? Might be obvious but I need to ask for my own sanity of seeing so much different ways its written.

What about if B and C are not constants due to the phase changing with time Φ(t)?

I am further purplexed by notation used for complex sinusoids.

3. Acos (ωt+Φ) can be represented as the real part of Aei(ωt+Φ)= Acos(ωt+Φ) + iAsin(ωt+Φ)
but from point 1, the right hand side of this equation can be then re-written with the trigometric identity in point 1, expanding it into 4 terms which removes the phase from the argument and giving constants, like in point 3. So why cannot it not be written without the Φ in the argument on the right hand side and use different constants
Aei(ωt+Φ)=Bcos(ωt)+iCsin(ωt)

Science news on Phys.org
Start with ##e^{\pm i\omega t}=\cos\omega t\pm i\sin\omega t##,
Now,
$$\begin{align}
e^{i (\omega t+\phi)}& =e^{i\omega t}e^{i\phi}=(\cos\omega t+i\sin\omega t)(\cos\phi +i\sin\phi)\nonumber \\
& =(\cos\omega t~cos\phi-\sin\omega t~sin\phi)+i(\sin\omega t~\cos\phi+\cos\omega t~sin\phi)\nonumber
\end{align}$$Equating real and imaginary parts, gives you two trig identities
$$\cos(\omega t+\phi)=\cos\omega t~cos\phi-\sin\omega t~sin\phi~;~~~\sin(\omega t+\phi)=\sin\omega t~\cos\phi+\cos\omega t~sin\phi$$
You can easily show that $$\cos\omega t= \frac{e^{i\omega t}+e^{-i\omega t}}{2}~;~~~\sin\omega t= \frac{e^{i\omega t}-e^{-i\omega t}}{2i}=-i\frac{e^{i\omega t}-e^{-i\omega t}}{2}.$$
Then,
$$
\begin{align}
A \cos\omega t +B\sin \omega t &=A\frac{e^{i\omega t}+e^{-i\omega t}}{2}-iB\frac{e^{i\omega t}-e^{-i\omega t}}{2}\nonumber \\
& = \frac{(A-iB)e^{i\omega t}}{2} +\frac{(A+iB)e^{-i\omega t}}{2}\nonumber
\end{align}$$
Note that the last expression is real because it is the sum of a number plus its complex conjugate. You can write the complex coefficient in polar form, ##A-iB = re^{i\phi},~r=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}##. In that case,
$$
\begin{align}
A \cos\omega t +B\sin \omega t &= \frac{re^{i(\omega t +\phi)}}{2} +\frac{re^{-i(\omega t +\phi)}}{2}\nonumber\\
& =\sqrt{A^2+B^2}\cos(\omega t+\phi)\nonumber
\end{align}.$$
Note: In the above expression ##\phi = \arctan(B/A)##.
I hope this clarifies things for you and convinces you that the complex exponential plays a pivotal role in trigonometric transformations.

Natalie Johnson said:
So why cannot it not be written without the Φ in the argument on the right hand side and use different constants
Aei(ωt+Φ)=Bcos(ωt)+iCsin(ωt)
Can that be right? I would have thought that the magnitude of the left hand side is constant but the magnitude of the right hand side is not (it's an ellipse) unless B=C.

sophiecentaur said:
Can that be right? I would have thought that the magnitude of the left hand side is constant but the magnitude of the right hand side is not (it's an ellipse) unless B=C.
I don't think that ##B=C## will do it, but ##A=\sqrt{B^2+C^2}## will.
Suppose ##z = Ae^{i \omega t}=B\cos(\omega t)+iC\sin(\omega t)##, where ##A##, ##B## and ##C## are assumed real.
Then
##|z|^2=(Ae^{i \omega t})(Ae^{-i \omega t})=A^2##
But also
##|z|^2=[B\cos(\omega t)+iC\sin(\omega t)][B\cos(\omega t)-iC\sin(\omega t)]=B^2+C^2##
The two expressions will match if ##A^2=B^2+C^2## as also shown in post #2.

Likes scottdave
But the phase has been lost. How can varying B and C coefficients achieve an arbitrary phase for the resultant?

Related to Sinusoids as Phasors, Complex Exp, I&Q and Polar form

1. What are sinusoids as phasors?

Sinusoids as phasors are a way of representing sinusoidal signals in the complex plane, using amplitude and phase information. This allows for simpler mathematical calculations and analysis of sinusoidal signals.

2. How are complex exponentials related to sinusoids as phasors?

Complex exponentials are equivalent to sinusoids as phasors, as they both have a magnitude and phase component. In fact, sinusoidal signals can be expressed as a combination of complex exponentials using Euler's formula.

3. What is the I&Q representation of a complex signal?

The I&Q representation of a complex signal refers to its in-phase and quadrature components. These components are orthogonal to each other and carry information about the amplitude and phase of the signal.

4. How do you convert between polar and rectangular forms of a complex signal?

To convert from polar to rectangular form, you can use the equations x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the phase angle. To convert from rectangular to polar form, you can use the equations r = √(x^2 + y^2) and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x).

5. How are sinusoids as phasors and complex exponentials used in signal processing?

Sinusoids as phasors and complex exponentials are commonly used in signal processing for their ability to simplify mathematical calculations and analysis. They are also used to represent and manipulate complex signals in the frequency domain, allowing for filtering, modulation, and demodulation of signals.