Developing mathematical maturity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of looking at solutions when struggling with a problem in mathematics. Some argue that it is important to keep struggling, while others believe it is acceptable to look at the solution after a certain amount of time. It is suggested that the decision to look at the solution should be based on the individual's judgment and experience. The concept of mathematical maturity is also mentioned, emphasizing the importance of experience and application of mathematical skills in various situations.
bonfire09
One of the problems that I come across is my bad habit of glancing at the solutions. I usually look at them after I struggle on a problem for 20 minutes. Almost always its a proof problem like in linear algebra such as "Prove that there is one and only one way to write A as the sum of a symmetric matrix and a skew-symmetric matrix." Then I go back and finish the problem after looking the solution up. Some people say to keep struggling it out while others say its fine to look at the solution after you struggled for sometime. Anyone have any input on that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Only two reasons for looking at the solutions:

• Check your result or work after you answer an exercise,
  • Find help or hints if you are stuck after spending a long time struggling with an item.

You judge when to look at the answer key. Do the work as well as you can before checking the key.

Thread topic title is about "mathematical maturity". This requires experience of study over several months, maybe even years, and also requires using some mathematical skills in your science or engineering laboratory sections, or even in employment situations. Not always linear systems, but I had sometimes needed to develop systems of two or three equations and to find sometimes values for three variables; the systems, although only consisting of maybe three uncomplicated equations, had linear and ratio terms involved. There was no answer key in the back of a book!

Related to Developing mathematical maturity?

1. What is mathematical maturity?

Mathematical maturity refers to a person's ability to think critically and abstractly about mathematical concepts. It involves understanding the underlying principles and connections between different topics, as well as being able to apply mathematical reasoning to solve problems.

2. How do you develop mathematical maturity?

Developing mathematical maturity takes time and practice. It involves actively engaging with mathematical concepts, asking questions, and seeking to understand the reasoning behind the solutions. Additionally, regularly challenging oneself with new and difficult problems can help to develop mathematical maturity.

3. Can anyone develop mathematical maturity?

Yes, anyone can develop mathematical maturity with dedication and effort. While some people may have a natural inclination towards mathematics, it is a skill that can be learned and improved upon by anyone.

4. Why is mathematical maturity important?

Mathematical maturity is essential for success in higher level mathematics courses and in many fields that require problem-solving and critical thinking skills. It also helps to develop logical reasoning and analytical thinking, which can be applied to various real-world situations.

5. How do you know if you have mathematical maturity?

Having mathematical maturity is not a yes or no question, but rather a spectrum. A person with high mathematical maturity will be able to approach new problems with confidence, apply different techniques and strategies to solve them, and explain their reasoning clearly. If you are continuously improving and challenging yourself in mathematics, you are likely developing your mathematical maturity.