Designing Torque Wrench: Seeking Help on Calculations

In summary, the conversation is about designing a torque wrench with two different methods: one using a gear locker and the other using a spring. The main concern is how to calculate the spring tension in order to accurately measure torque. The conversation ends with a person asking for help on a similar topic.
flashlaser
Hi I'm designing a torque wrench. But i need some help.

I have a drawing torque3.jpg

the gear connects to the socket. If I'm putting 300ft/lb torque on a nut using the socket connected to the gear. and the gear connection to the handl thru the gear locker, and the gear locker can push against the weight. Will the gear locker push against the weight with 300ft/lb? the weight is actually a sensor. I want the sensor to be able to sense that there is 300ft/lb of torque being exerted on the nut

Now my second drawing torque2.jpg uses a spring like a normal torque wrench.

at the end of the handle there will be a dial that will tighten and losen the spring which pushes against the gear locker, which in turn keeps the gear connected to the handle. say i put the wrench of 150lb/ft torque using the dial, then the spring pushes the gear locker with enough force to keep it connected up to 150lb/ft torque, if it goes over, the gear's teeth push the locker and spring back and it disconnects form the handle.

how would i calculate the spiring tension, etc to get this working. Can someone give me links, leading me to the right direction.

Thanks for any answers.

Attachments

• torque2.JPG
    torque2.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 422
  • torque3.JPG
    torque3.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 397
Engineering news on Phys.org
bumping up

Hi Flashdancer,

Did you ever get a reply to your question concerning this matter?

I am also loking for help on a similar topic (actually it's almost identical!)

Regards

Steve.

Related to Designing Torque Wrench: Seeking Help on Calculations

1. What is a torque wrench?

A torque wrench is a tool used to apply a specific amount of torque, or rotational force, to tighten or loosen bolts or nuts. It is often used in automotive and mechanical applications to ensure that the appropriate amount of torque is applied to prevent over-tightening or under-tightening of fasteners.

2. How does a torque wrench work?

A torque wrench works by using a calibrated scale or gauge to measure the amount of torque being applied. The user sets the desired torque amount and then applies force to the wrench until the desired torque is reached. Some torque wrenches also have audible or visual indicators to signal when the desired torque has been achieved.

3. What are the different types of torque wrenches?

There are several types of torque wrenches, including beam, click, dial, digital, and electronic torque wrenches. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications. It is important to choose the right type of torque wrench for the specific task at hand.

4. How do I calculate the torque required for a specific application?

The torque required for a specific application can be calculated by using the formula: Torque = Force x Distance. The force can be determined by the tightening specifications of the bolt or nut, and the distance is the length of the wrench or the length of the lever arm being used. It is also important to consider the material and lubrication of the fastener, as these can affect the required torque.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using a torque wrench?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when using a torque wrench. These include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, ensuring the torque wrench is calibrated properly, and using the correct type and size of wrench for the application. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and not exceed the maximum torque capacity of the wrench.