Designing a Torque Wrench: Seeking Help for Calculations

In summary, a torque wrench is a specialized tool used to tighten bolts and nuts to a specific torque or rotational force. There are several types of torque wrenches available, including beam, click, and digital torque wrenches. When designing a torque wrench, factors such as torque range, accuracy, and durability should be considered. The torque required for a specific fastener can be calculated using a formula, but it is important to note that this provides an estimate. When using a torque wrench, it is important to avoid common mistakes such as over-tightening or under-tightening fasteners and not properly calibrating the tool. Following the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines is crucial for proper use and maintenance.
flashlaser
Hi I'm designing a torque wrench. But i need some help.

I have a drawing torque3.jpg

the gear connects to the socket. If I'm putting 300ft/lb torque on a nut using the socket connected to the gear. and the gear connection to the handl thru the gear locker, and the gear locker can push against the weight. Will the gear locker push against the weight with 300ft/lb? the weight is actually a sensor. I want the sensor to be able to sense that there is 300ft/lb of torque being exerted on the nut

Now my second drawing torque2.jpg uses a spring like a normal torque wrench.

at the end of the handle there will be a dial that will tighten and losen the spring which pushes against the gear locker, which in turn keeps the gear connected to the handle. say i put the wrench of 150lb/ft torque using the dial, then the spring pushes the gear locker with enough force to keep it connected up to 150lb/ft torque, if it goes over, the gear's teeth push the locker and spring back and it disconnects form the handle.

how would i calculate the spiring tension, etc to get this working. Can someone give me links, leading me to the right direction.

Thanks for any answers.

Attachments

• torque3.JPG
    torque3.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 373
  • torque2.JPG
    torque2.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It sounds like you have a good start on your design for the torque wrench. To answer your question, yes, the gear locker should be able to push against the weight with 300ft/lb of torque. However, you will need to consider the strength and durability of the gear locker and its connection to the handle to ensure it can withstand such force.

In terms of calculating the spring tension, you will need to determine the maximum torque you want the wrench to be able to handle and then work backwards to determine the necessary spring tension. You will also need to consider the materials and dimensions of the spring to ensure it can withstand the tension without breaking.

As for resources, there are many online calculators and tools available for designing torque wrenches. You can also consult with mechanical engineers or other experts in the field for guidance and advice.

Best of luck with your project!

Designing a torque wrench can be a complex process, and it's great that you are seeking help with the calculations. It's important to make sure that your design is accurate and can withstand the designated torque load.

To start, you will need to determine the maximum torque load that your wrench will be able to handle. This will depend on the strength and materials of the gear, socket, and handle. Once you have determined this, you can calculate the necessary gear ratio to achieve your desired torque output. This will ensure that the gear locker will be able to apply the necessary force to the weight sensor.

For the second drawing with the spring, you will need to consider the spring constant and the amount of force it can exert. This will determine the amount of torque that can be applied before the gear locker disconnects from the handle. You can use the formula F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is compressed.

There are also online calculators and formulas available that can help with these calculations. It's important to also consider safety factors and make sure that your design can handle a higher torque load than what it is intended for.

I would recommend consulting with a mechanical engineer or doing further research on torque wrench design to ensure the accuracy and safety of your design. Good luck with your project!

Related to Designing a Torque Wrench: Seeking Help for Calculations

1. What is a torque wrench and how does it work?

A torque wrench is a specialized tool used to tighten bolts and nuts to a specific torque or rotational force. It works by using a calibrated spring or hydraulic mechanism to measure the amount of torque being applied and provide a visual or audible indication when the desired torque is reached.

2. What are the different types of torque wrenches available?

There are several types of torque wrenches, including beam, click, and digital torque wrenches. Each type has its own advantages and applications. Beam torque wrenches are the most basic and use a simple lever and pointer to display torque. Click torque wrenches have a clicking sound or sensation to indicate when the desired torque is reached. Digital torque wrenches provide a digital display of torque and may also have additional features such as data storage and wireless capability.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a torque wrench?

When designing a torque wrench, factors such as the required torque range, accuracy, and durability should be considered. The type and size of fasteners that will be used with the torque wrench should also be taken into account. Additionally, the intended application and environment should be considered to ensure the torque wrench is suitable for its intended use.

4. How do I calculate the torque required for a specific fastener?

The torque required for a specific fastener can be calculated using the formula T = K x F x L, where T is the torque, K is the coefficient of friction, F is the axial force, and L is the length of the lever arm. The values for K and F can be found in engineering reference tables, and the length of the lever arm can be measured. It is important to note that this formula provides an estimate and the actual torque required may vary depending on various factors.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using a torque wrench?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using a torque wrench include over-tightening or under-tightening fasteners, not using the correct type of torque wrench for the application, and not properly calibrating the torque wrench before use. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for proper use and maintenance of the torque wrench.