Description of surface, vector calculus

In summary, the surface parameterized by (v cos(u), v sin(u), 45 v cos(u)) is a flat, slanted plane with an elliptical disc shape. The points on the surface lie on the plane z=45x, and when projected onto the xy plane, form an ellipse. Varying u and v will result in a curve and an ellipse, respectively.
ohlala191785

Homework Statement

Consider the surface parameterized by (v cos(u), v sin(u), 45 v cos(u)), where u and v both vary from 0 to 2∏.

Homework Equations

(v cos(u), v sin(u), 45 v cos(u))
I think this is supposed to be a vector function? As in r(u,v) = <v cos(u), v sin(u), 45 v cos(u)>.

The Attempt at a Solution

In the x-y plane, this is a circle. x = v cos(u) so z = 45x. This is a slanted plane? So I thought the surface would be an ellipse, since the coefficient of x is 45 and the circle would be very squashed. Does this seem to be part of a cylinder because the cross section of a cylinder, if the plane is slanted, would it be a portion of an elliptical paraboloid? Or could it be a portion of a cone or hyperboloid? One of the answer options is an ellipsoid, but I don't think that's right because when I graphed this on a computer, it showed a flat surface.

There are so many possibilities!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take v to be fixed, initially. Varying u should give you a curve, and yes, it's an ellipse. Describe the plane the ellipse lies in and where it is centred. Then imagine varying v over its given range.

ohlala191785 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the surface parameterized by (v cos(u), v sin(u), 45 v cos(u)), where u and v both vary from 0 to 2∏.

Homework Equations

(v cos(u), v sin(u), 45 v cos(u))
I think this is supposed to be a vector function? As in r(u,v) = <v cos(u), v sin(u), 45 v cos(u)>.

Yes, that's exactly what it is and how you describe a surface.

The Attempt at a Solution

In the x-y plane, this is a circle.

Yes, that is correct for fixed ##v##. Its equation is ##x^2+ y^2 = v^2##. But if you let ##v## vary from ##0## to ##2\pi## what do you get?

x = v cos(u) so z = 45x. This is a slanted plane?
Yes. And ##x## and ##z## must be on that plane, no matter what ##y## is.
So I thought the surface would be an ellipse, since the coefficient of x is 45 and the circle would be very squashed. Does this seem to be part of a cylinder because the cross section of a cylinder, if the plane is slanted, would it be a portion of an elliptical paraboloid? Or could it be a portion of a cone or hyperboloid? One of the answer options is an ellipsoid, but I don't think that's right because when I graphed this on a computer, it showed a flat surface.

There are so many possibilities!

There aren't that many possibilities. You know all the points on the surface must be on the plane ##z=45x## and your computer shows the surface is flat. Don't those agree? If you project the ##xy## "shadow" in the ##xy## plane up onto the slanted plane, what do you get?

So the description of the surface just an ellipse? If you project the circle onto the slanted plane, it should look like an ellipse.

ohlala191785 said:
So the description of the surface just an ellipse? If you project the circle onto the slanted plane, it should look like an ellipse.
I suppose you could describe it as an elliptical disc.

Oh OK.
Thank you for your help.

Related to Description of surface, vector calculus

1. What is the difference between a surface and a curve in vector calculus?

A surface is a two-dimensional object in three-dimensional space, while a curve is a one-dimensional object in three-dimensional space. Surfaces have two parameters (u,v) that determine a location on the surface, while curves have only one parameter (t).

2. How is a surface described in vector calculus?

A surface is described using a vector-valued function, where the input parameters (u,v) are mapped to a point on the surface in three-dimensional space. This function is also known as a parametrization or a parameterization.

3. What is a normal vector and how is it used in vector calculus?

A normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a surface at a given point. It is used in vector calculus to determine the orientation and direction of a surface, as well as for computing surface integrals and determining surface area.

4. How do you calculate the gradient of a function on a surface?

The gradient of a function on a surface is calculated using the partial derivatives of the function with respect to the surface parameters (u,v). This gradient vector is perpendicular to the surface at a given point and points in the direction of steepest increase of the function.

5. What is the significance of surface integrals in vector calculus?

Surface integrals are used to calculate the flux (flow) of a vector field across a surface. They also have applications in physics, such as calculating the work done by a force on a surface, or determining the electric or magnetic field across a surface.