Surface Area of Parameterized Region

In summary, the surface area S of the portion of the hyperbolic paraboloid is given by the double integral ##\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^15 (\frac 1 4) \sqrt{u} du d\theta##.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

Find the surface area S of the portion of the hyperbolic paraboloid:

## r(u,v) = \langle (u+v),(u-v),uv \rangle ##

for which:

## u^2 + v^2 <= 225 ##

Homework Equations

(Surface Area for Parameterized Region:)
##\int \int ||\frac {\partial r} {\partial u} \times \frac {\partial r} {\partial v}||dA## Where the double integral is over the region R.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so first, I found the partial derivatives of u and v with respect to the parameterized function r(u,v):

## \frac {\partial r} {\partial u} = \langle 1,1,v \rangle , \frac {\partial r} {\partial v} = \langle 1,-1,u \rangle ##

After that, I found the cross product:

## \langle (u+v), (v-u), -2 \rangle ##

Then the norm:

## \sqrt{2(u^2+v^2+2)}##

It's at this point that I realized this integrand was pretty rough, and should probably switch to polar:

##\sqrt{2r^2+4}##

Since I got all that set, I need to find some limits, and also convert them to polar coordinates. The limits for u I had as [-3,3], and the limits for v were [##-\sqrt{225-u^2},\sqrt{225-u^2}##]

So, the new limits for the polar system I received for ##\theta## was [0,2\pi], and for r I got [0, 15], due to the circle being at radius 15.

Now I set up the integral and evaluate.

##\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^15 \sqrt{2r^2+4} r dr d\theta##

Using U substitution I get an integral of this form (I plan on plugging the u back in, so I leave the limits the same):

##\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^15 (\frac 1 4) \sqrt{u} du d\theta##

##\int_0^{2\pi} (\frac 1 4) [ (\frac 2 3) (2r^2+4)^{\frac 3 2}|_0^{15}]##

The integral just gets super sloppy here, and I'm not sure if I've even set it up correctly, or if you can even convert to polar from a parameterized function?

Likes jerromyjon
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything you did looks good to me, but you stopped just one step short of an answer.

Related to Surface Area of Parameterized Region

1. What is the definition of surface area?

The surface area of a parameterized region is the total area of all the surfaces that make up the region. This includes the area of the top, bottom, and sides of the region.

2. How is surface area calculated for a parameterized region?

The surface area of a parameterized region is calculated using integration techniques. The region is divided into small segments, and the surface area of each segment is calculated using the appropriate formula. The sum of all the surface areas of the segments gives the total surface area of the region.

3. What are the units of surface area?

The units of surface area depend on the units used for the dimensions of the region. For example, if the dimensions are given in meters, the surface area would be in square meters (m2).

4. How is surface area affected by changes in the dimensions of a parameterized region?

Surface area is directly proportional to the dimensions of a parameterized region. This means that as the dimensions increase, the surface area also increases, and as the dimensions decrease, the surface area decreases.

5. How is surface area used in real-world applications?

The concept of surface area is used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It is used to calculate the amount of material needed for construction, to determine the capacity of containers, and to analyze heat transfer in thermodynamics, among others.