Density of cylinder, error propagation

In summary: This is very much appreciated.In summary, the density of a cylinder is calculated to within 0.072 cm using the following data:- m= (2.8±0.8) g- d= (2.2±0.1) cm- h= (4.0±1.0) cm
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

The density of a cylinder is calculated from the following data:

##m= (2.8±0.8)g##
##d = (2.2±0.1)cm##
##h = (4.0±1.0) cm##

What is the error on the density, before rounding, in ##\frac{g}{cm^3}##?

Homework Equations

##V = \pi r^2 h = \frac{1}{4} \pi d^2 h##

Ans : 0.072

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure this is the right section for this. I figured I would first calculate the volume, then use ##d = \frac{m}{V}##.

##V = \frac{1}{4} \pi d^2 h##
##V = \frac{1}{4} \pi (2.2±0.1)(2.2±0.1)(4.0±1.0) cm^3##
##V = \frac{1}{4} \pi (19±6) cm^3##

How would I propagate the scalars in front?

Physics news on Phys.org
The constants (pi and 4) have no error. What error propagation formula do you use?

ehild

So we have (before rounding):

##V = \frac{1}{4} \pi (19.36 \pm 6.58)##
##V = (15.21 \pm 5.17)##

?

I don't really have a formula to use for this. I remember something about ##\sqrt{ ( \frac{∂f}{∂x})^2 \sigma_x^2 + ( \frac{∂f}{∂y})^2 \sigma_y^2 + ... }##, but I don't think that will help.

Is the height of the cylinder truly not known to within 25% of its actual value (4.0+/-1.0) cm? This measurement error seems to be rather a lot.

Zondrina said:
So we have (before rounding):

##V = \frac{1}{4} \pi (19.36 \pm 6.58)##
##V = (15.21 \pm 5.17)##

?

I don't really have a formula to use for this. I remember something about ##\sqrt{ ( \frac{∂f}{∂x})^2 \sigma_x^2 + ( \frac{∂f}{∂y})^2 \sigma_y^2 + ... }##, but I don't think that will help.

Yes, that it is. f is the density, and its error is ##\sqrt{ ( \frac{∂f}{∂x})^2 \sigma_x^2 + ( \frac{∂f}{∂y})^2 \sigma_y^2 + ... }## Now you have three variables, m, d, h. Replace σ-s by the given errors.

ehild

I agree with SteamKing - the errors seem very large. In fact, they seem so large that I think it is not appropriate to approximate using derivatives only and symmetric errors on the parameters are going to result in asymmetric errors in the final quantity. However, this is probably not what was intended in the question ...

Sorry for the late reply. The errors are as such, as crazy as that is.

With ##\rho = \frac{4}{\pi} \frac{m}{d^2 h}## being the density. The error on ##\rho## is given by:

##\sigma_{\rho} = \sqrt{ ( \frac{∂ \rho}{∂m})^2 \sigma_m^2 + ( \frac{∂ \rho}{∂d})^2 \sigma_d^2 + ( \frac{∂ \rho}{∂ h})^2 \sigma_h^2 }##

##\frac{∂ \rho}{∂m} = \frac{4}{\pi} \frac{1}{d^2 h}##

##\frac{∂ \rho}{∂d} = - \frac{8}{\pi} \frac{m}{(d^3 h)}##

##\frac{∂ \rho}{∂h} = - \frac{4}{\pi} \frac{m}{(dh)^2}##

The errors are obvious to plug in. What should I do about the variables though i.e ##d, h## and ##m##?

EDIT: As a side note, I got the answer awhile ago, but I did it using numerical methods rather than the partial derivatives.

I'd like to learn how to use this formula as I see the value in learning it.

Zondrina said:
The errors are obvious to plug in. What should I do about the variables though i.e ##d, h## and ##m##?

Substitute the given mean values. m=2.8, d=2.2, h=4.0.

You can notice that
##\frac{∂ \rho}{∂m} = \frac{\rho}{m}##
##\frac{∂ \rho}{∂d} = - 2\frac{\rho}{d} ##
##\frac{∂ \rho}{∂h} = - \frac{\rho}{h} ##

The error you get is the probable error, less than the maximum error, half the difference between the possible maximum and minimum densities. And the other posters are right, the error of h is too big.

ehild

Last edited:
Likes WWGD and STEMucator
ehild said:
Substitute the given mean values. m=2.8, d=2.2, h=4.0.

You can notice that
##\frac{∂ \rho}{∂m} = \frac{\rho}{m}##
##\frac{∂ \rho}{∂d} = - 2\frac{\rho}{d} ##
##\frac{∂ \rho}{∂h} = - \frac{\rho}{h} ##

The error you get is the probable error, less than the maximum error, half the difference between the possible maximum and minimum densities. And the other posters are right, the error of h is too big.

ehild

Indeed the error on ##h## is ridiculous. The answer complements of wolfram for anyone who is interested:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sqrt%28+%28%284%2Fpi%29%281%2F%284%282.2%29^2%29%29%29^2++%280.8%29^2+%2B+%28+%288%2Fpi%29+2.8%2F%284*2.2^3%29%29^2+%280.1%29^2+%2B+%28+%284%2Fpi%29%282.8%29%2F%282.2*4.0%29^2+%29^2+%281.0%29^2++%29

Thank you.

Related to Density of cylinder, error propagation

What is density and how is it calculated?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume. It is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume. The unit of density is typically grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

What is a cylinder and how does its density relate to its dimensions?

A cylinder is a three-dimensional shape with circular bases at either end. The density of a cylinder is directly related to its dimensions, specifically its mass and volume. As the mass or volume of a cylinder changes, its density will also change.

What is error propagation and why is it important in measuring the density of a cylinder?

Error propagation is the process of estimating the uncertainty in a calculated result based on the uncertainties in the measured quantities used in the calculation. It is important in measuring the density of a cylinder because any errors in the measured mass or volume can affect the accuracy of the calculated density.

How can the density of a cylinder be experimentally determined?

The density of a cylinder can be experimentally determined by measuring its mass and volume using appropriate instruments, such as a balance and ruler. The mass and volume can then be used to calculate the density using the formula density = mass/volume.

What are some possible sources of error when measuring the density of a cylinder?

Some possible sources of error when measuring the density of a cylinder include inaccuracies in the measurements of mass and volume, variations in the composition or shape of the cylinder, and environmental factors such as temperature and pressure. It is important to minimize these sources of error in order to obtain an accurate measurement of the density.