Deciding on a Engineering Grad route

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's considerations for pursuing a graduate degree in Aerospace engineering. They are unsure about whether to pursue a Master's or PhD, but they know they want to work in a lab rather than an office building. The speaker also asks if a PhD is necessary for higher positions in a lab. They mention a program that allows undergrads to take graduate level courses and ask for insight from someone with graduate experience. The response suggests that a PhD may offer more freedom for independent research and potential for breakthroughs and patents. The speaker is considering a Master's degree for a more industrial setting, with less freedom but potential for supervising.
DollarBill
I just finished my sophomore year in Aerospace engineering and am weighing my options for grad school. I definitely want to go grad school, but not sure if I want to pursue a MS or PhD. I know when I finish school, I want to work in lab rather than an office building. I do like research (although it's pretty boring right now as I try to learn COMSOL).

I guess my question would be: is it a must to get a PhD if I want to work in a lab and be more than a technician?

It might be somewhat early to be thinking of grad school, but I'm planning to sign-up for a program my school offers that allows undergrads to take graduate level courses. The program would allow the graduate courses to fullfil both undergrad and grad requirements.

Physics news on Phys.org
DollarBill said:
I guess my question would be: is it a must to get a PhD if I want to work in a lab and be more than a technician?

The simple answer is "no"; but in the majority of cases all of the upper-level science positions in "labs" (a nebulous term) will probably be held by PhDs.

From what I understand, a PhD enables one more freedom to conduct independent research and as a consequence of this is more likely to make breakthroughs and acquire patents and the like.

I personally have been trying to decide whether I should pursue a master's degree or a doctoral degree. I think a master's degree is sufficient if you would like to work in a more industrial setting. I imagine you would have a bit of supervising potential but less freedom than that of PhD.

Hopefully someone with some graduate experience can enlighten us.

Related to Deciding on a Engineering Grad route

1. What is the difference between a Master's degree and a Ph.D. in engineering?

A Master's degree in engineering typically takes 2-3 years to complete and focuses on developing practical skills and knowledge in a specific area of engineering. A Ph.D. in engineering, on the other hand, takes 4-6 years to complete and is more research-oriented, with a focus on creating new knowledge and advancing the field. A Ph.D. is usually required for those interested in pursuing a career in academia or research.

2. How do I decide on a specific area of engineering to specialize in?

It is important to explore different areas of engineering through internships, job shadowing, and talking to professionals in the field. Consider your strengths, interests, and career goals when choosing a specialization. It is also important to research the job market and demand for different types of engineers to ensure job opportunities in your chosen field.

3. Is it necessary to have a Bachelor's degree in engineering before pursuing a graduate degree?

While it is not always necessary to have a Bachelor's degree in engineering, most graduate programs do require a strong foundation in mathematics, science, and engineering courses. If your undergraduate degree is in a different field, you may need to take additional prerequisite courses before being admitted to a graduate engineering program.

4. What are some factors to consider when choosing a graduate program in engineering?

Some important factors to consider include the program's reputation, faculty expertise, research opportunities, available resources and facilities, location, and cost. It is also important to consider your personal learning style and whether the program offers the flexibility and support you need to succeed.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a graduate degree in engineering?

A graduate degree in engineering can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including roles in research and development, design, project management, consulting, and teaching. The demand for engineers continues to grow in fields such as renewable energy, healthcare, and technology, making it a promising career path for those with advanced degrees.