Deciding between schools: advice

• Schools
  • Thread starter Nima223
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schools
In summary, the person is deciding between a list of schools for a transfer physics major, including UVA, RIT, Stony Brook, Indiana University, Purdue, UMass Amherst, and George Mason. They are hoping to get into research and apply to grad school, and are coming from a community college. The schools are all state schools, except for RIT which is a private institution. The person has already been accepted into a summer internship at Fermilab and has looked into REU programs. They are leaning towards UVA or one of the Indiana schools, but are mainly concerned about the cost and the opportunities for research. The ranking of the school is not as important as the ability to do well and gain research experience
Nima223
As the question suggests, I am deciding between uva, rit, stony brook, Indiana u, purdue, umass Amherst, and George mason. Sort of a random list, I know. I am going to be a transfer physics major. Hoping to get into research and apply to grad school (I am coming from a community college so I have catching up to do).

Physics news on Phys.org
Nima223 said:
As the question suggests, I am deciding between uva, rit, stony brook, Indiana u, purdue, umass Amherst, and George mason. Sort of a random list, I know. I am going to be a transfer physics major. Hoping to get into research and apply to grad school (I am coming from a community college so I have catching up to do).
This is quite the disparate list!

These are all state schools (more or less), so if money is an issue, you should think about the schools in your home state. If you pay out of state tuition, the cost will often rival the cost of a private school.

Of all of the schools, George Mason is probably the weakest program in the sciences.

Other than GMU, these are all very large flagship campuses of state university systems. You should have good opportunities for doing research, but you need to be aggressive to get these opportunities. You should also look into applying to REU programs for summer research. It is too late this year, but certainly next year. The REU sites usually have deadlines for application early in the calendar year.

Quantum Defect said:
Other than GMU, these are all very large flagship campuses of state university systems.

RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) is a private institution.

Likes Quantum Defect
jtbell said:
RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) is a private institution.
Indeed it is.:oops:

I've actually looked into Reus and was accepted into a summer internship at Fermilab. So hopefully this will help me get on my way.

I am leaning towards uva or one of the indiana schools. Money is certainly my main issue but I am pretty sure I will get a fair amount of aid. Is there a big difference between uva and a higher ranked physics school, say iu?

I don't think the ranking matters so much as long as you are able to do well and get good research experience, which it sounds like you are doing with I the Fermi REU.

For what it's worth, I'm at your typical large state school and have been admitted to some pretty swanky Ivies for grad school. I would suggest going with the cheapest route for undergrad.

Related to Deciding between schools: advice

1. How do I determine which school is the best fit for me?

The best way to determine which school is the best fit for you is to research and compare different schools based on factors such as location, cost, program offerings, and campus culture. It is also helpful to visit the campuses and talk to current students and faculty to gain a better understanding of the school's environment.

2. Should I choose a school based on its ranking?

While school rankings can be a helpful factor to consider, they should not be the sole determining factor in your decision. Rankings are subjective and may not accurately reflect the school's strengths in your specific program of interest. It is important to also consider other factors such as location, cost, and program offerings.

3. How important is the school's reputation?

The school's reputation can be important, but it should not be the only factor in your decision. A school's reputation may open doors for job opportunities, but it is also important to consider the quality of education, program offerings, and campus culture. Ultimately, the school's reputation should align with your personal and academic goals.

4. What should I consider when comparing the cost of different schools?

When comparing the cost of different schools, it is important to consider the total cost of attendance, including tuition, fees, housing, and other expenses. You should also research scholarships, grants, and financial aid options offered by each school. Additionally, consider the potential return on investment in terms of job opportunities and salary after graduation.

5. How can I make an informed decision about choosing a school?

To make an informed decision about choosing a school, it is important to research and compare multiple schools, considering factors such as location, cost, program offerings, and campus culture. It can also be helpful to visit the campuses and talk to current students and faculty to gain a better understanding of the school's environment. Additionally, consider your personal and academic goals and how each school can help you achieve them.