Dealing with Unexpected Absences in a Research Lab: What Should I Do?

In summary, the undergraduate student in the lab started out as a volunteer, and has been working with the postdoc on procedures. Recently, they had a conversation where the postdoc laid out end-of-semester goals and whatnot, and asked if the undergraduate student would need to take time off every time they had an exam. The undergraduate student explained to the postdoc that they were trying to manage their time better, and that it would no longer be an issue. However, last week, they had a relative that went to the hospital and the undergraduate student took the day off to visit them. When they came home, they found that the postdoc had not responded to their email, and is now worried about how he will address
Violagirl
I am an undergraduate student that started working in a research lab this semester and started out as a volunteer. It's my first research experience in a lab outside of the classroom and at this point, I have no idea how things are going. I work for the postdoc in the lab and have so far been shadowing him on the different procedures he does/that I will eventually be doing. Otherwise, I also work with the undergraduate that's been in there for a lot longer to learn the basic techniques that I'll need to know. This is where I know I only have myself to blame for taking on so much. I only go in twice a week and there have been a few days where I've had to take off with having a lot of exams/papers going on. Anyways, my postdoc and I had a conversation a few weeks ago where we laid out end-of-semester goals and whatnot and at one point, he asked if I would be needing to take off every time I'd had an exam and I explained to him at that time that I had been trying to figure out time management for each class and what-not and it would no longer be an issue. Well, last week, I had a relative that ended up going to the hospital with an unexpected health complication that came up and I emailed my postdoc to let him know about it and that I would need the day off to visit this relative in the hospital. Came home to find later that he had not bothered to respond and I am worried about him addressing it as a problem when I go in this week and I'm not sure what to do at this point. I more than understand where they could potentially come from in thinking I'm not reliable or anything and not trusting me but this was an unexpected family event that suddenly came up...:frown: Any input is appreciated and thanks for reading through all of this post!

Edit: One more question, should I consider to maybe send a follow-up email explaining more in-depth the situation with my family or just leave it be? I'm going through a lot at the moment and to reduce the stress with the lab would take a lot off my shoulders...Thank you all again.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Violagirl! :smile:
Violagirl said:
Edit: One more question, should I consider to maybe send a follow-up email explaining more in-depth the situation with my family or just leave it be? I'm going through a lot at the moment and to reduce the stress with the lab would take a lot off my shoulders...Thank you all again.

(i'll just give my two-cents worth on this last part …)

Yes, you should certainly send him a follow-up email immediately.

You've taken the day off, and it's only polite to tell him what happened at the hospital (and whether you're likely to have to go again), and to thank him for understanding.

Take the opportunity to give him more detail about the condition, and why you had to go (and not some other relative).

Thank you so much for your input, I emailed him right away to explain everything. That will definitely to reduce any worry or stress for when I go in this week. Thank you again!

Related to Dealing with Unexpected Absences in a Research Lab: What Should I Do?

1. What are the essential equipment and materials needed for a research lab?

The equipment and materials needed for a research lab will vary depending on the specific field of study and research being conducted. However, some commonly used equipment includes microscopes, centrifuges, pipettes, and spectrophotometers. Basic lab supplies such as glassware, chemicals, and protective gear are also essential.

2. How do I effectively manage and organize my research data?

It is important to establish a system for organizing and managing data before starting any research project. This can include using digital tools such as spreadsheets or specialized software, as well as maintaining detailed lab notebooks. It is also important to regularly back up data to prevent loss.

3. How do I troubleshoot issues in the lab?

When encountering issues in the lab, it is important to first identify the problem and its possible causes. This can involve consulting with colleagues or referring to lab manuals and protocols. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to consult with experts in the field or seek outside assistance.

4. How do I ensure safety in the lab?

Safety should always be a top priority in the lab. This includes following proper protocols for handling chemicals and biological materials, wearing appropriate protective gear, and keeping work areas clean and organized. It is also important to regularly review and update safety procedures and conduct training for all lab members.

5. How do I effectively communicate and collaborate with other researchers in my lab?

Effective communication and collaboration are crucial for the success of any research lab. This can involve regular meetings to discuss progress and share ideas, using communication tools such as email and project management software, and clearly defining roles and responsibilities for each member of the lab.