Dealing with failure at problem solving. Internet dependence

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem faced by a second year physics student where they have become reliant on solving problems and feel uncomfortable without access to a computer. They have tried techniques such as attempting easier problems first, but still struggle with certain concepts. They seek advice on how to approach and overcome difficult problems and potentially seek help from others with more experience.
duarthiago
I'm a second year physics student and since last year I've been noticing that an old habitis becoming a serious problem: when I can't solve some exercise in a set, I literally can't do anything with respect that subject until I solve it. It has became something quite similar to an OCD.
I already tried to cultivate that Polya's (I'm not so sure) mindset/habit/strategy which says if you can't solve some problem you can try solve an easier problem and then try to solve the original again. But sometimes occurs that the concepts are reasonably clear, the easier problems are solved and well understood, but some specific problem seems just unsolvable.
An extension of that problem is an internet dependence, I mean, I feel very uncomfortably when I study far from some computer because If I can't solve something I usually search for the answer when my ideas of approaches to solve/understand it are exhausted. While I don't find the answer, I just can't proceed. Then a computer became something like a guarantee of study productivity.

So I want to know what do you do when a wild problem appears and you can't defeat him at the first moment. Do you just move on and try to work on another one? Which mindset I should have to deal with that craze?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could post the question here and mention the steps you have used to solve the problem and possibly get hints from those with more experience to help you crack the problem.

Related to Dealing with failure at problem solving. Internet dependence

1. How can I cope with failure when solving problems?

Dealing with failure at problem solving can be difficult, but it is important to remember that failure is a natural part of the process. One way to cope with failure is to reflect on what went wrong and learn from it. This will help you improve your problem-solving skills for the future.

2. What is internet dependence and how does it affect problem solving?

Internet dependence refers to a reliance on the internet for daily activities and tasks. This can affect problem solving by limiting critical thinking skills and creativity. It can also lead to a dependence on technology to solve problems, rather than utilizing other problem-solving strategies.

3. How can I reduce my internet dependence and improve problem-solving skills?

To reduce your internet dependence and improve problem-solving skills, it is important to limit your screen time and engage in activities that require critical thinking and problem solving. This can include puzzles, games, or even reading and writing. It is also helpful to set specific goals and time limits for internet use.

4. What are some alternative problem-solving strategies to using the internet?

There are many alternative problem-solving strategies that do not involve the internet. These include brainstorming, mind mapping, trial and error, and seeking advice from others. It is important to try different strategies to find what works best for you.

5. How can I prevent internet dependence from hindering my problem-solving abilities?

To prevent internet dependence from hindering your problem-solving abilities, it is important to set boundaries and prioritize offline activities. This can include setting designated times for internet use and avoiding the use of technology for solving every problem. It is also helpful to regularly engage in activities that stimulate critical thinking and creativity.