Current Mathematics Major; Extra Year for Physics?

In summary: I don't know what programs care for. But that's not the only question. What do YOU care for? Not just the program. I care about the potential for a successful career. If a physics background will help me achieve that, then it's worth it.I care about the potential for a successful career. If a physics background will help me achieve that, then it's worth it.
MPKU
This might a lot to digest, but I would be forever appreciative if someone with knowledge could offer any advice pertaining to my future plans:

Currently I'm majoring in Mathematics in state university. I'm have two more semesters worth of college and am due to graduate May 13. Last year I took Physics I & II (requirement, I didn't take Calc-based ones because I got stuck b/c the Calc version was filled ) and discovered I wanted to learn so much more about it. I decided immediately to declare a minor, and they said I should not have a problem with the non-Calc physics to swap for the Calc if I wanted to pursue it. Well now, I really want to major in it. Would this be worth it?

With that being said, my Math degree is pretty much finished (Have a 2.98, hopefully will end with 3 in major), just need Topology & Diff Eq. and I would need to take 3 Physics classes for the next four semesters.

And... further more I ultimately want to go to graduate school for math or physics, and how would double-majoring affect this?

Thanks,
Billy

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can afford an extra year it's worth it just to pull that GPA out of 2. land. Still, physics probably isn't what you would want to take to do that.

If the ultimate goal is to go to graduate school, you should try your best to fix two red flags I see. You GPA is poor and you seem very undecided. You haven't study any physics, yet you are considering it for grad school.

If you end up going to grad school for math, then the extra time spent at university would be better spent sitting for graduate level math courses. Though I don't think double majoring ever hurts anyone, it's just you can always spend that time elsewhere.

theorem4.5.9 said:
If the ultimate goal is to go to graduate school, you should try your best to fix two red flags I see. You GPA is poor and you seem very undecided. You haven't study any physics, yet you are considering it for grad school.

If you end up going to grad school for math, then the extra time spent at university would be better spent sitting for graduate level math courses. Though I don't think double majoring ever hurts anyone, it's just you can always spend that time elsewhere.

Well, I took Physics I & II and I've read up on other subjects as well. It has the same beauty as mathematics.

As for my GPA it will be at least a 3 next semester, is that really considered poor in Grad school terms ?

MPKU said:
Well, I took Physics I & II and I've read up on other subjects as well. It has the same beauty as mathematics.

As for my GPA it will be at least a 3 next semester, is that really considered poor in Grad school terms ?

A 3 is the bare minimum. Most grad schools won't even consider you if you have less than a 3.

If you end up going to grad school for math, then the extra time spent at university would be better spent sitting for graduate level math courses.

I disagree; depends on your goals/interests.

homeomorphic said:
I disagree; depends on your goals/interests.
Not even applied math programs care much for a physics background, let alone an entire major in it. At best the OP may decide to go into mathematical physics, where if offered from a math department (my original assumption) a background in physics still wouldn't be as good as have taken certain math courses. Take for example gauge theory, most mathematicians would rather the student know some algebraic topology and differential geometry at the grad level.

Lastly there's at least one more benefit for grad classes. It gives the admission committee some assurance that you can handle a graduate course load which gives them more faith that you can pass your quals.

Not even applied math programs care much for a physics background, let alone an entire major in it.

I don't know what programs care for. But that's not the only question. What do YOU care for? Not just the program. Perhaps, it's this attitude of mine that has lead to my relative failure in grad school, but for some, "failure" in the eyes of the system is a sacrifice worth making, as it is much better to "fail" in the eyes of the system than to fail yourself.

Related to Current Mathematics Major; Extra Year for Physics?

1. What is a current mathematics major?

A current mathematics major is a student who is currently pursuing a degree in mathematics at a college or university. This typically involves taking courses in areas such as calculus, algebra, geometry, and statistics.

2. Why would someone need an extra year for physics?

An extra year for physics may be necessary for a current mathematics major if they are interested in pursuing a career in a field that requires a strong background in both mathematics and physics, such as engineering or theoretical physics. Taking an extra year to study physics can provide a more well-rounded education and open up more career opportunities.

3. Can a current mathematics major still graduate on time with an extra year for physics?

It depends on the individual's academic plan and course load. Some students may be able to complete the necessary requirements for both majors within the typical 4-year timeframe, while others may need an extra year to do so. It's important to work closely with an academic advisor to create a plan that works for you.

4. Is it common for mathematics majors to also pursue a degree in physics?

While it is not as common as double majoring in related fields like mathematics and computer science, it is not uncommon for mathematics majors to also pursue a degree in physics. Both subjects involve problem-solving, critical thinking, and a strong foundation in mathematics, making them a natural pairing for many students.

5. Are there any benefits to adding an extra year for physics to a mathematics major?

There are several potential benefits to adding an extra year for physics to a mathematics major. It can provide a broader range of skills and knowledge, making you a more competitive job candidate. It can also allow you to explore different career paths and interests, as well as provide the opportunity to conduct research or participate in internships in both fields.