Crippling Effects of Recession on US Academia: 15% Pay Cut for TAs

In summary, Louisiana currently has a 85 million dollar deficit. Just like last year, the first proposed cuts are in higher education. I'm currently a RA(with funding from outside the university) and I'm afraid of the effects it will have in the following year. I've roughly 1.5-2 years left. I can only hope to make graduation. Good luck.At my school, pay is stable, but the number of TA's has been reduced. Previously, professors could request graders or aides for their courses (which were assigned as TA's)... but now those non-lab TA's have been largely eliminated... making the competition among graduate students for TA's greater. Generally, first year graduate students are
Topher925
This semester my university has a lot of PhD students that are to afraid to graduate or can't be supported by their professors due to a lack of funding. So because of this there are a lot of PhD students forced to teach this semester. Of course this means that there is a huge flood of TAs this semester which the school can't afford. As a result, we are all taking about a 15% pay cut this semester. Just curious if this is happening to anyone else in the US? I always thought academia was always relatively immune to the effects of recession, but I guess not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lousiana currently has a 85 million dollar deficit. Just like last year, the first proposed cuts are in higher education. I'm currently a RA(with funding from outside the university) and I'm afraid of the effects it will have in the following year. I've roughly 1.5-2 years left. I can only hope to make graduation. Good luck.

Topher925 said:
Just curious if this is happening to anyone else in the US? I always thought academia was always relatively immune to the effects of recession, but I guess not.
A lot of the research/students/etc. at my school are funded out of one research center sponsored by a gov't organization, and the funding's been cut pretty bad, leading to all sorts of delays in people getting paid and new restrictions/actually imposing the restrictions on who can get funded.

My school's public, so it's also been hit with lots of really bad budget cuts, leading to tuition hikes and the slashing of some of our scholarships. (New York's Vollone scholarship is a great example-it was $650 a semester when I started 5 years ago, and it's now down to $250 a semester.)

At the places I'm familiar with, pay is stable, but the number of TA's has been reduced. Previously, professors could request graders or aides for their courses (which were assigned as TA's)... but now those non-lab TA's have been largely eliminated... making the competition among graduate students for TA's greater. Generally, first year graduate students are guaranteed a TA position for their first year... and generally upper-level students whose advisers lacked funding could still receive spots. Of course with funding issues, it's also hard for some upper level students to get out of graduate school, which often gives flexibility on the timing of a student's defense based on the start time of a post-doc or other employment (advisers are often nice about letting a student stay on until such arrangements are made).

Oddly enough, at my university TAs are in short supply, enough so that the department has been offering higher-grade TA positions involving more work hours with increased pay. Although I suspect that's because the size of the last two incoming classes of graduate students has been cut by nearly half compared to previous years, and goodness knows the undergrad population isn't getting any smaller...

Over here we didn't have a pay cut. However, we didn't get a cost of living increase like we usually do, and we were told it's because the economic situation has left us with no money for pay increases for the grad students. A lot of professors are now being required to teach labs and recitations. Many of the condensed matter students who've been on RAs for quite awhile now were also forced to teach. Strangely, us high energy and astro people weren't affected, since we're on Department of Energy funding. I'm not sure why the DOE is stable, but I'm not complaining.

Of course my advisor has been in a bad mood lately. Wonder if I'll be back in the classroom next fall...

I think there was an article in one of the more recent issues of Science on how even tenure-track are getting cut at the University of Florida. I just skimmed and didn't read it, though, so i can't go into more detail, but I have to say I was quite surprised by the graphs that were enclosed, because this was not a case of one professor getting sacked, it was all happening on a larger scale.

diazona said:
Oddly enough, at my university TAs are in short supply, enough so that the department has been offering higher-grade TA positions involving more work hours with increased pay. Although I suspect that's because the size of the last two incoming classes of graduate students has been cut by nearly half compared to previous years, and goodness knows the undergrad population isn't getting any smaller...

physics girl phd said:
Generally, first year graduate students are guaranteed a TA position for their first year... and generally upper-level students whose advisers lacked funding could still receive spots.

What schools are these? I had heard that all schools were cutting down on TA-ships, so I'm shocked to hear that TA-ships are in short supply or guaranteed at some schools

Because we had to take fewer incoming first year students for Fall 2010, we will actually have a slight TA shortage for next year. Our pay increase for next year is approximately 1.5%.

I do wonder if we're really in a recession or if this is just the beginning of the end of a country. I'm not sure if we'll ever recover.

I'm sure we'll recover eventually. It's just a matter of time.

And at the risk of really seeming like a Pollyanna, things seem to be heating up a bit when it comes to employment out here in Silicon Valley. Not as frantic as it once was... but companies are starting to add people again.

Related to Crippling Effects of Recession on US Academia: 15% Pay Cut for TAs

1. What caused the recession to have a 15% pay cut for TAs in US academia?

The recession is a period of economic decline that is characterized by a decrease in economic activity, high unemployment rates, and a decline in consumer spending. This has resulted in a decrease in funding for academic institutions, leading to budget cuts and a 15% pay cut for TAs.

2. How has the pay cut affected TAs in US academia?

The pay cut has had a significant impact on TAs in US academia. It has resulted in a decrease in their overall income, making it difficult for them to cover their living expenses. It has also affected their morale and motivation, as they are not being adequately compensated for their work.

3. Are there any other consequences of the pay cut for TAs?

Aside from the financial impact, the pay cut for TAs has also resulted in a decrease in the quality of education for students. With TAs being paid less, they may have less time and energy to dedicate to their teaching duties, ultimately affecting the learning experience for students.

4. Is there any support for TAs during this time of recession?

Many academic institutions have implemented support programs for TAs during this time of recession. This may include financial aid or counseling services to help TAs cope with the pay cut and its effects on their personal and professional lives.

5. What can be done to mitigate the crippling effects of the recession on US academia?

To mitigate the effects of the recession on US academia, it is crucial for academic institutions to prioritize the well-being and compensation of TAs. This may involve finding alternative sources of funding, increasing TA salaries, or implementing cost-cutting measures in other areas. It is also important for the government to invest in education during times of economic downturn to support the academic community.