Course selection for next semester

In summary, the conversation highlights the decision to choose two optional courses for a mechanical engineering major. The available options are Thermodynamics II, Material Science II, and Technical drawing II with CAD software. The importance of technical drawing for mechanical engineers is emphasized, but it can also be self-taught. The material science and technical drawing courses are recommended for entry-level job hunting, while Thermodynamics II is advised for those interested in thermofluids and Material Science II for those interested in materials. However, choosing Technical drawing II with CAD software may increase the chances of getting an internship, making it a valuable option to consider.
Baybora
I got to choose 2 lessons from these 3 for optional courses. I'm studying mechanical engineering. Which ones are the most important in your opinion? Available options are:

1) Thermodynamics II

2) Material Science II

3) Technical drawing II with CAD software ( teaches Solidworks previous year we had Technical drawing I which tought about AutoCAD 2D sketches but I learned some 3D modelling out of courses in Autocad and and DesignModeler but can't claim that I can model complex thing. I'm much more like an amateur.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Baybora said:
I got to choose 2 lessons from these 3 for optional courses. I'm studying mechanical engineering. Which ones are the most important in your opinion? Available options are:

1) Thermodynamics II

2) Material Science II

3) Technical drawing II with CAD software ( teaches Solidworks previous year we had Technical drawing I which tought about AutoCAD 2D sketches but I learned some 3D modelling out of courses in Autocad and and DesignModeler but can't claim that I can model complex thing. I'm much more like an amateur.

Any help is appreciated.

Technical drawing is very important for mechanical engineers. Many such jobs assume some basic familiarity with drafting. That said, if you feel like its something you can pick up on your own I would do the other two in a similar position. Alternatively, the material science and technical drawing courses would probably be the most applicable in the nearer term when entry level job hunting.

Do you have a particular concentration within Mechanical in mind? 1) would be advised for one looking into thermofluids, 2) for one interested in materials, etc.. However, if you aren't sure of a concentration yet, 3) is almost certainly the most likely of the options to increase your chances at an internship, as many undergrad internships involve drafting CAD drawings -- something to think about!

Related to Course selection for next semester

1. How do I know which courses are being offered next semester?

You can find a list of courses being offered next semester on your school's website or through your school's course catalog. You can also check with your academic advisor for a list of recommended courses for your major.

2. Can I change my course schedule after I have submitted it?

It depends on your school's policies. Some schools allow students to make changes to their course schedule during the add/drop period at the beginning of the semester. However, it is best to plan your course schedule carefully to avoid having to make changes later on.

3. How many courses should I take per semester?

The number of courses you should take per semester depends on several factors, such as your major, workload, and personal commitments. It is best to consult with your academic advisor to determine the appropriate course load for you.

4. Can I take courses outside of my major?

Yes, most schools allow students to take courses outside of their major as long as they fulfill the necessary prerequisites and do not exceed the maximum number of credits allowed per semester. Taking courses outside of your major can also be beneficial in broadening your knowledge.

5. Are there any courses that are recommended for all students to take?

Some schools have a set of general education requirements that all students must fulfill, which may include courses in math, science, humanities, and social sciences. These courses are designed to provide a well-rounded education and are typically recommended for all students to take.