Counting number of consecutive elt's in nit string

In summary, the problem asks how many strings of length 10 contain either five consecutive 0s or five consecutive 1s. There is confusion regarding whether it is asking for exactly five or at least five consecutive numbers. The solution differs depending on the interpretation, with "exactly" resulting in 110 and "at least" resulting in 222. However, based on the wording of the problem, it is more likely asking for exactly five consecutive numbers.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

How many strings of length 10 contain either five consecutive 0s or five consecutive 1s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So this problem isn't too bad, and I have a pretty good idea of how to solve it. However, I am not sure whether the problem is referring to exactly five consecutive 0s or 1s or at least five consecutive 0s or 1s. It seems that either way could be interpreted...

If we do exactly, then we would get 110, while if we get at least, then we have 222 (I think).

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

How many strings of length 10 contain either five consecutive 0s or five consecutive 1s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So this problem isn't too bad, and I have a pretty good idea of how to solve it. However, I am not sure whether the problem is referring to exactly five consecutive 0s or 1s or at least five consecutive 0s or 1s. It seems that either way could be interpreted...

If we do exactly, then we would get 110, while if we get at least, then we have 222 (I think).
As worded, it's asking for five consecutive 0s or five consecutive 1s. If they intended "at least" five of each, it would have been worded that way. "Five" doesn't mean "at least five."

BTW, your thread title is "Counting number of consecutive elt's in nit string" -- what's a "nit string"?

Edit: Now I get it -- you meant "bit string." That's different from a nit string, a string of lice eggs.

Mark44 said:
Five" doesn't mean "at least five."
Right, but if a string contains six consecutive 1s then it contains five consecutive. You may be right, but to me it is at least ambiguous.

Likes SammyS

Related to Counting number of consecutive elt's in nit string

1. What is the purpose of counting the number of consecutive elements in a nit string?

The purpose of counting the number of consecutive elements in a nit string is to determine patterns or sequences within the string. This information can be useful in various applications, such as data analysis and coding algorithms.

2. How do you count the number of consecutive elements in a nit string?

To count the number of consecutive elements in a nit string, you can use a loop to iterate through the string and compare each element to the next one. If they are the same, you can increment a counter variable. Once the loop is completed, the counter variable will contain the total number of consecutive elements.

3. Can consecutive elements be of different types in a nit string?

No, consecutive elements in a nit string must be of the same type. This is because the string is a sequence of nits, and each nit can only hold one type of data.

4. What is the difference between consecutive elements and consecutive characters in a string?

Consecutive elements refer to the individual units within a nit string, whereas consecutive characters refer to the individual letters or symbols within a string. In a nit string, each element can contain multiple characters, so counting consecutive elements may result in a different number than counting consecutive characters.

5. How can counting consecutive elements in a nit string be useful in data analysis?

Counting consecutive elements in a nit string can help identify patterns or trends in the data. This information can be used to make predictions, identify outliers, or classify data into categories. It can also be used in data compression algorithms to reduce the size of the data without losing important information.