Counting problem: 5-character ASCII strings containing at least one @

In summary, the incorrect solution assumes that placing the @ symbol in different positions within the string will result in unique strings, when in fact, it can result in duplicate strings. This leads to an overcounting of the total number of strings and gives a different answer than the correct solution.
Nick O

Homework Statement

How many strings of five ASCII characters contain the character @ ("at" sign) at least once? [Note: there are 128 different ASCII characters.]

Homework Equations

The rule of product and inclusion-exclusion principle are relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct solution is as follows:

The number of 5-character ASCII strings is 128^5. The number of 5-character ASCII strings not including at least one @ is 127^5. By the inclusion-exclusion principle, the number of 5-character ASCII strings including at least one @ is equal to 128^5 - 127^5.

I have no problem with that. What bothers me is that I can't find out where I go wrong with the following "solution", which yields a different answer.

Incorrect solution:

At least one of the five characters is an @. There are 5 ways to place this character, because the string has a length of 5. The remaining characters may or may not be an @ symbol. Each of the four remaining characters can be chosen in 128 different ways.

By the rule of product, there are 5 * 128 * 128 * 128 * 128 = 5*128^4 such strings.

Query:

128^5 - 127^5 is a much larger number than 5*128^4. Which assumption in my incorrect solution is unjustified?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nick O said:

Homework Statement

How many strings of five ASCII characters contain the character @ ("at" sign) at least once? [Note: there are 128 different ASCII characters.]

Homework Equations

The rule of product and inclusion-exclusion principle are relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct solution is as follows:

The number of 5-character ASCII strings is 128^5. The number of 5-character ASCII strings not including at least one @ is 127^5. By the inclusion-exclusion principle, the number of 5-character ASCII strings including at least one @ is equal to 128^5 - 127^5.

I have no problem with that. What bothers me is that I can't find out where I go wrong with the following "solution", which yields a different answer.

Incorrect solution:

At least one of the five characters is an @. There are 5 ways to place this character, because the string has a length of 5. The remaining characters may or may not be an @ symbol. Each of the four remaining characters can be chosen in 128 different ways.

By the rule of product, there are 5 * 128 * 128 * 128 * 128 = 5*128^4 such strings.

Query:

128^5 - 127^5 is a much larger number than 5*128^4. Which assumption in my incorrect solution is unjustified?

No, 5*128^4 is larger than 128^5-127^5. It's because you are overcounting strings that contain more than one @.

Likes 1 person
In the incorrect solution your over counting.

Example:
Suppose we fix the first element with @.
then our string is of the form @0000. where the 0 can be any other ASCII character. But note we have @@000 as being one such character. But if we fix the second character so we have the set of strings of the form 0@000. Clearly if we let the first character be @, then we again have a string of the form @@000.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Sorry, I somehow got that inequality backwards when translating it to a forum post.

That makes perfect sense. The devil is in the detail, particularly where combinations are involved. Thank you both!

Related to Counting problem: 5-character ASCII strings containing at least one @

1. What is the counting problem related to 5-character ASCII strings containing at least one @?

The counting problem in this case refers to the question of how many unique 5-character ASCII strings can be created that contain at least one @ symbol.

2. How is the total number of possible strings calculated?

The total number of possible strings can be calculated using the formula: 95^5 - 94^5, where 95 represents the total number of possible characters in ASCII and 94 represents the total number of possible characters without the @ symbol.

3. Can the strings contain more than one @ symbol?

Yes, the strings can contain more than one @ symbol as long as they still have a total of 5 characters.

4. How many strings contain exactly one @ symbol?

To calculate the number of strings that contain exactly one @ symbol, we can use the formula: 5*94^4, where 5 represents the position of the @ symbol and 94 represents the total number of possible characters without the @ symbol.

5. Are uppercase and lowercase letters considered different characters?

Yes, in ASCII, uppercase and lowercase letters are considered different characters. Therefore, the total number of possible characters is 95, which includes both uppercase and lowercase letters.