Convert British and SI Units Easily

In summary, converting between British and SI units can be done easily by using conversion factors and basic mathematical operations. It is important to understand the relationships between these units and how to properly apply them in calculations. With practice, anyone can become proficient in converting between these two systems of measurement.
ank_gl
hey can anyone give a calculator(like any html link) or something of that sort which can convert units, like from british system to SI units and vice versa. looking at the tables everytime is sooooo boring and i am fed up of it.for eg. changing lengths, pressure, weight etc. etc.:-p:-p

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you can find one, the ultimate conversion machine is a HP28c. You can create unit strings then as long as they are compatible hit the convert key and it gives you the conversion with the final units. The built in list of fundamental units is huge, it covered everything I have ever heard of, plus more.

Try this one

Just type, e.g. "70 degrees F to degrees C"
or "3*Pi to degrees"
of "feet to m"
It's perfect.

CompuChip said:
Try this one

Just type, e.g. "70 degrees F to degrees C"
or "3*Pi to degrees"
of "feet to m"
It's perfect.

:smile::smile:hey its perfect:-p:-p

Integral said:
If you can find one, the ultimate conversion machine is a HP28c.

guess i ll hit the store today for this machine:-p:-p

You may have better luck on Ebay, this is a pretty old model. I got mine in 1987.

For Unix/Linux users, there is an unobtrusive command line utility, units:
Code:
$ units 7lb kg
        / 0.31494609
i.e. outputs converted amount and the multiplier of inverse conversion; or in interactive mode:
Code:
$ units
2438 units, 71 prefixes, 32 nonlinear units

You have: 15 knots
You want: mph
        / 0.057931749
You have: lbf
You want:
        Definition: lb force = 4.4482216 kg m / s^2

The definitions of known units are in /usr/share/misc/units.dat, and if said ~2500 were not enough, one could add ones own :)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)

I use Omnicon. It kicks butt.

FredGarvin said:
It kicks butt.
i didnt get it:confused::confused:

For most unit conversions I have to do, I will use either MathCAD or my TI-89. Both are capable of unit-aware calculations as well as user-defined units.

While the HP28c might be pretty good, I wouldn't say it's the "ultimate." It's important to note that the TI-89 is easy to find, and relatively inexpensive for its vast capabilities (units and unit conversions being one small part of it). The built-in units list of a TI-89 is quite large, and defining new units is as simple as defining a variable. Unit-aware calculations means it is also able to combine units in calculations for "unit simplification" (such as 0.5 kg * (1 m/s)^2 = 0.5 J).

You can also find a TI-89 emulator on the internet, which would be a simple way to give you these calculation capabilities on your computer. Do a search on Google or over at ticalc.org for more details.

Last edited:
thanks mech engineer for that emulator, it ll surely help me understand that calcy

Related to Convert British and SI Units Easily

1. How do I convert British units to SI units?

To convert British units to SI units, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert inches to centimeters, you can multiply the number of inches by 2.54. For feet to meters, multiply by 0.3048. You can also use online conversion calculators or reference tables for more precise conversions.

2. What are the most commonly used British units?

The most commonly used British units include inches, feet, yards, miles, ounces, pounds, and gallons. These are used for measuring length, weight, and volume respectively. However, there are many other British units that are still used in certain industries or regions.

3. How do I convert between different SI units?

To convert between different SI units, you can use the metric system prefixes. For example, to convert meters to kilometers, you can divide the number of meters by 1000. To convert grams to kilograms, divide by 1000. You can also use online conversion tools or reference tables for more precise conversions.

4. Can I convert British units to other non-SI units?

Yes, you can convert British units to other non-SI units such as Imperial units or US customary units. However, the conversion factors may differ slightly compared to converting to SI units. It is important to double check the conversion factor or use a reliable conversion tool.

5. Are there any exceptions or special cases when converting between British and SI units?

Yes, there are some exceptions or special cases when converting between British and SI units. For example, when converting between Fahrenheit and Celsius, you need to use a different conversion formula (-32 and then multiply by 5/9) compared to other conversions. Also, when converting between US fluid ounces and Imperial fluid ounces, the conversion factor is different (1.041) compared to converting to milliliters (29.574).