How to Convert Ideal Gas Constants from Mass-Based Units to Molar-Based Units?

In summary, the conversation discusses converting ideal gas constants from mass-based units to units of kJ / (kmol*K) using data from the text. The solution is to consult the periodic table for the molecular mass of a given compound, but the text does not include one. The conversation ends with the suggestion to include a periodic table in the text for easier conversion in the future.
2h2o
[SOLVED] Ideal gas unit conversions

Homework Statement

The ideal gas constants used in this text are typically mass-based: kJ / (kg*K). It is more useful to have them in units of kJ / (kmol*K). How to convert them using data from this text?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'd think that this is a problem in which I'd consult the periodic table to obtain the molecular mass of a given compound, but the P. table is not included. I have steam tables, gas-constant/critical point properties tables, etc. Seems like such a simple question, yet I'm not seeing the path. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a computer. Surely you can find a periodic table somewhere on the internet.

Yes, obviously. I also have numerous chemistry books. But the problem specifically states to use data contained within the text--there is no periodic table within. Hence, my confusion.

Converting grams to moles is trivial with a PT. Without the PT; I don't understand...

Nevermind, I found a table in the text that lists molecular masses of some selected compounds. The problem is reduced to triviality, afterall.

Wouldn't it be much simpler to just include a PT on the frontsheet or at least appendix, like every other science book I've encountered? What kind of Thermodynamics book wouldn't include one? Silly!

Cheers

To convert ideal gas constants from mass-based units (kJ/(kg*K)) to molar-based units (kJ/(kmol*K)), we can use the molar mass of the gas. The molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance and can be found on the periodic table. To convert from mass-based units to molar-based units, we can use the following equation:

R_molar = R_mass / M

Where:
R_molar is the gas constant in molar-based units (kJ/(kmol*K))
R_mass is the gas constant in mass-based units (kJ/(kg*K))
M is the molar mass of the gas in kg/kmol.

For example, if we have a gas with a mass-based gas constant of 0.082 kJ/(kg*K), and a molar mass of 18 kg/kmol (which is the molar mass of water vapor), we can convert the gas constant to molar-based units as follows:

R_molar = 0.082 kJ/(kg*K) / 18 kg/kmol = 0.0046 kJ/(kmol*K)

Therefore, the gas constant in molar-based units is 0.0046 kJ/(kmol*K). This conversion can be applied to any gas using its respective molar mass.

Related to How to Convert Ideal Gas Constants from Mass-Based Units to Molar-Based Units?

1. What is an ideal gas unit conversion?

An ideal gas unit conversion is the process of converting the units used to measure gases from one system to another. This is commonly done to make measurements easier to understand or to compare with other systems.

2. What are the common units used to measure gases?

The most common units used to measure gases are atmospheres (atm), millimeters of mercury (mmHg), pascals (Pa), and kilopascals (kPa). Other units such as torr and pounds per square inch (psi) are also used in specific applications.

3. How do I convert between different units of pressure for an ideal gas?

To convert between units of pressure for an ideal gas, you can use the following conversion factors: 1 atm = 760 mmHg = 101,325 Pa = 101.325 kPa. You can then multiply or divide by the appropriate conversion factor to convert from one unit to another.

4. Can I use the ideal gas law to convert between units?

Yes, the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) can be used to convert between units as long as the temperature is kept constant. By rearranging the equation, you can solve for the desired unit and convert from one unit to another.

5. Are there any limitations to using ideal gas unit conversions?

Yes, ideal gas unit conversions are based on the ideal gas law which assumes that the gas is in a state of ideal conditions. This means that the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other. In reality, this is not always the case, so there may be slight discrepancies in the conversions.