Conversion of a vector from cylindrical to cartesian

In summary: However, I would also like to mention that if you are comfortable working with vectors in a coordinate system, you can also use the dot product of two vectors to find the third. In summary, the problem can be solved using either of the two methods given.
Armani
(mentor note: thread moved from general to here hence no template)

Hi,

I need some help with converting this cylindrical vector: $$\vec A = \vec a_r(3*cos(\phi)-\vec a_{\phi}*2r+\vec a_z5$$ into the cartesian:

I have found these:
where

$$A_x =3cos^2(\phi)+2sin(\phi)*r\\
A_y=3sin(\phi)cos(\phi)-2cos(\phi)*r\\
A_z=5$$

Also
$$x=rcos(\phi)=3*cos(\phi)cos(\phi)=3cos^2(\phi)\\
y=rsin(\phi)=3cos(\phi)sin(\phi)\\
z=5$$

I am a bit stuck after this:
I know that i have to use this formula: $$\phi=tan^{-1}\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)$$ but i am not getting the right solution...
Can someone help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You also need ## \hat{a_r}=cos(\phi) \hat{i} +\sin(\phi) \hat{j} ## where ## cos(\phi)=x/(x^2+y^2)^{1/2} ## and ## sin(\phi)=y/(x^2+y^2)^{1/2} ##. I let you try to figure out ## \hat{a_{\phi}} ##. Also, do you see that ## r=(x^2+y^2)^{1/2} ##?

Likes Armani
are those two expressions for ##cos(\phi)## and ##sin(\phi)## already given? Or did you derive them?
And thanks:)

Armani said:
are those two expressions for ##cos(\phi)## and ##sin(\phi)## already given? Or did you derive them?
And thanks:)
You could probably google them. ##cos(\phi)=x/r ##. ## sin(\phi)=y/r ##. That's how cylindrical coordinates work. Meanwhile, the unit vectors ## \hat{a_r} ## and ## \hat{a_{\phi}} ## are not fixed. They change with ## \phi ##.

Okay, thanks for your help.

Armani said:
(mentor note: thread moved from general to here hence no template)

Hi,

I need some help with converting this cylindrical vector: $$\vec A = \vec a_r(3*cos(\phi)-\vec a_{\phi}*2r+\vec a_z5$$ into the cartesian:

I have found these:
where

$$A_x =3cos^2(\phi)+2sin(\phi)*r\\
A_y=3sin(\phi)cos(\phi)-2cos(\phi)*r\\
A_z=5$$

Also
$$x=rcos(\phi)=3*cos(\phi)cos(\phi)=3cos^2(\phi)\\
y=rsin(\phi)=3cos(\phi)sin(\phi)\\
z=5$$

I am a bit stuck after this:
I know that i have to use this formula: $$\phi=tan^{-1}\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)$$ but i am not getting the right solution...
Can someone help?
If you apply what @Charles Link suggested, you will find that your first attempt was correct. Your 2nd approach only works for a position vector from the origin.

Chestermiller said:
If you apply what @Charles Link suggested, you will find that your first attempt was correct. Your 2nd approach only works for a position vector from the origin.
I think @Chestermiller is pointing out an error in the OP's work that I didn't spot on the first reading: the OP assumed the vector ## A ## is of the form ## r \hat{a_r}+...## so that he thought ## r=3 \cos(\phi) ## which is not the case. In any case, converting from cylindrical to Cartesian simply involves using vector formulas that can be googled. Anyone who has good command of trigonometry can derive the necessary vector formulas with very little effort. Otherwise, the simplest way to work a problem like this is to look up the coordinate conversion formulas which are often found in the back cover of E&M textbooks and other math books. No doubt a google of the topic would work equally well.

Charles Link said:
I think @Chestermiller is pointing out an error in the OP's work that I didn't spot on the first reading: the OP assumed the vector ## A ## is of the form ## r \hat{a_r}+...## so that he thought ## r=3 \cos(\phi) ## which is not the case. In any case, converting from cylindrical to Cartesian simply involves using vector formulas that can be googled. Anyone who has good command of trigonometry can derive the necessary vector formulas with very little effort. Otherwise, the simplest way to work a problem like this is to look up the coordinate conversion formulas which are often found in the back cover of E&M textbooks and other math books. No doubt a google of the topic would work equally well.
I agree that the method you suggested using the unit vectors will lead to the correct answer, as obtained by the OP with his first method.

Likes Armani and Charles Link

Related to Conversion of a vector from cylindrical to cartesian

What is the process of converting a vector from cylindrical to cartesian?

The process of converting a vector from cylindrical to cartesian involves using mathematical equations to determine the x, y, and z coordinates of a point in a three-dimensional space. This conversion is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

What is the difference between cylindrical and cartesian coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates use a combination of distance from the origin, angle from a reference axis, and height to locate a point in space, while cartesian coordinates use x, y, and z coordinates to locate a point. Cylindrical coordinates are often used to describe circular or cylindrical objects, while cartesian coordinates are more commonly used in everyday life.

What are the equations used to convert a vector from cylindrical to cartesian?

The equations used to convert a vector from cylindrical to cartesian are: x = r*cos(theta), y = r*sin(theta), and z = z. These equations represent the relationships between the cylindrical coordinates (r, theta, z) and cartesian coordinates (x, y, z).

How do you visualize the conversion of a vector from cylindrical to cartesian?

To visualize the conversion of a vector from cylindrical to cartesian, imagine a point located at a distance r from the origin, making an angle theta from the reference axis, and at a height z. The cylindrical coordinates (r, theta, z) can then be converted to cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) using the equations mentioned above.

In what situations would you need to convert a vector from cylindrical to cartesian?

Converting a vector from cylindrical to cartesian is necessary in situations where a point needs to be located in a three-dimensional space using cartesian coordinates. This can be useful in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics where objects and their movements need to be described in a three-dimensional space.