Vector field in cylindrical coordinates

In summary: E_{6x} = E_{6r} \cos \phi - E_{6\phi} \sin \phi E_{6y} = E_{6r} \sin \phi + E_{6\phi} \cos \phiIn summary, to plot a vector field in MATLAB using the quiver function, you need to determine the \hat x and \hat y components of the vector field in terms of cylindrical coordinates. The conversions from cylindrical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates are as follows: \hat x = \hat r \cos(\phi) - \hat \phi \sin(\phi) \hat y = \hat r \sin(\phi)
Les talons

Homework Statement

Sketch each of the following vector fields.
[itex] E_5 = \hat \phi r [/itex]
[itex] E_6 = \hat r \sin(\phi) [/itex]

I wish to determine the [itex] \hat x [/itex] and [itex] \hat y [/itex] components for the vector fields so that I can plot them using the quiver function in MATLAB.

Homework Equations

A cylindrical coordinate is given by [itex] (r, \phi, z) [/itex]
[itex] r = \sqrt[+]{x^2 + y^2} [/itex]
[itex] \phi = \arctan(y/x) [/itex]
[itex] z = z [/itex]
Transformation from cylindrical coordinates into Cartesian coordinates:
[itex] \hat x = \hat r \cos(\phi) - \hat \phi \sin(\phi) [/itex]
[itex] \hat y = \hat r \sin(\phi) + \hat \phi \cos(\phi) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] E_5 = \hat \phi r [/itex]
Since the given vector field [itex] E_5 [/itex] only has a [itex] \hat \phi [/itex] component,
[itex] \hat x = \hat r \cos(\phi) - \hat \phi \sin(\phi) = 0 \cos(\phi) - r \sin(\phi) = - \sqrt[+]{x^2 + y^2} \sin(\phi) [/itex]
Then I transformed [itex] \phi [/itex] in terms of [itex] x [/itex] and [itex] y [/itex] based on the definition of a cylindrical coordinate
[itex] \hat x = - \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} \sin(\arctan(y/x)) = \displaystyle \frac{-y \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} }{x \sqrt{1 +y^2 /x^2} } [/itex]
I followed the same approach for the [itex] \hat y [/itex] component
[itex] \hat y = \hat r \sin(\phi) + \hat \phi \cos(\phi) = 0 \sin(\phi) + r \cos(\phi) = \sqrt[+]{x^2 + y^2} \cos(\phi) [/itex]
[itex] \hat y = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} \cos(\arctan(y/x)) = \displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2} }{\sqrt{1 +y^2 /x^2} } [/itex]
Then
[itex] E_5 = - \hat x \displaystyle \frac{y \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} }{x \sqrt{1 +y^2 /x^2} } + \hat y \displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2} }{\sqrt{1 +y^2 /x^2} }[/itex]

Is this approach valid? Thanks for helping. I'll post my attempt for [itex] E_6 [/itex] in a little while.

I'm having trouble thinking about the vector field since I'm used to working in Cartesian coordinates, so I can't tell if this makes sense.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex] E_6 = \hat r \sin(\phi) [/itex]
[itex] \hat x = \sin(\phi) \cos(\phi) = \sin(\arctan(y/x)) \cos(\arctan(y/x)) [/itex]
[itex] \hat y = \sin^2(\phi) = \sin^2(\arctan(y/x)) [/itex]

If anyone happens upon this thread looking for help in a similar question, the correct conversions are as follows for the [itex] \hat x [/itex] and [itex] \hat y [/itex] components of [itex] \vec E_5 [/itex]:
[itex] E_{5x} = E_{5r} \cos \phi - E_{5\phi} \sin \phi [/itex]
[itex] E_{5y} = E_{5r} \sin \phi + E_{5\phi} \cos \phi [/itex]

and similarly for [itex] \vec E_6 [/itex] (or another vector in cylindrical coordinates)

Related to Vector field in cylindrical coordinates

What is a vector field in cylindrical coordinates?

A vector field in cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a vector quantity (such as velocity or force) at every point in space, using a cylindrical coordinate system. This system uses two coordinates: the distance from the origin (r) and the angle from the x-axis (θ), along with the z-coordinate, to specify a point in space.

How is a vector field represented in cylindrical coordinates?

In cylindrical coordinates, a vector field is typically represented as a vector function, with each component of the vector depending on the three coordinates (r, θ, z). This allows us to visualize the direction and magnitude of the vector at any point in space.

What are the advantages of using cylindrical coordinates to describe a vector field?

Cylindrical coordinates are particularly useful for describing vector fields that have a circular or cylindrical symmetry, such as electric or magnetic fields. In these cases, the equations that govern the vector field become simpler and easier to solve using cylindrical coordinates.

How are vector operations (such as divergence and curl) performed in cylindrical coordinates?

Vector operations in cylindrical coordinates are done using the appropriate transformation equations. For example, the divergence of a vector field in cylindrical coordinates is given by ∇·F = (1/r)(∂(rFr)/∂r) + (1/r)(∂Fθ/∂θ) + (∂Fz/∂z), where F is the vector function and the subscripts represent the components of the vector.

How can we convert a vector field from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

To convert a vector field from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates, we can use the following transformation equations: r = √(x2 + y2), θ = tan-1(y/x), and z = z. Then, each component of the vector field can be expressed in terms of r, θ, and z using these equations.