Convergence rate (with unknown exact solution)

In summary, the student is trying to find an approximation for the real value of the integral I for a function f(x) that cannot be evaluated analytically. They want to use the trapezium method with uniform steps for x. Then they need to compute the convergence rate.
fred_91

Homework Statement

I want to compute the following integral

[itex]I=\int_0^1 f(x) dx[/itex]

for a function f(x) such that the integral I cannot be evaluated analytically.
f(x) is a known function.
Therefore we want to obtain I numerically. To do this we want to use the Trapezium method with uniform steps for x.
Then after that we need to compute the convergence rate.

Homework Equations

Using the trapezium method, we will split the nodes for x using equidistant steps [itex]x_0,x_1,x_2,...x_N[/itex]
In general, we have
[itex]I=\int_a^b f(x) dx = \frac{b-a}{N}\left( f(x_0)+2f(x_1)+2f(x_2)+ 2f(x_3)+...+ 2f(x_{N-1}) +f(x_n) \right)[/itex]

Aitken's extrapolation formula can be written as:
[itex]\overline{I}=I_i+\frac{(I_{i+1}-I_i)^2}{2I_{i+1}-I_i-I_{i+2}}[/itex]
for 3 consecutive points: [itex]I_{i},I_{i+1},I_{i+2}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

In our case, a=0, b=1. We will take 3 cases for N: N=25, N=50, N=100.
Therefore, we will have 3 approximations: [itex]I_1, I_2, I_3[/itex] corresponding to N=25, 50, 100 respectively.

Now we can find a good approximation to the real value using Aitken's approximation:
[itex] \overline{I}=I_1+\frac{(I_2-I_1)^2}{2I_2-I_1-I_3}[/itex]

However, how does this help us to compute the convergence rate?

Any ideas or guidance is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is a 2 missing in the denominator of your first formula.

However, how does this help us to compute the convergence rate?
You could check the difference between the approximation and the estimated real value for N=25, 50, 100 and see if there is some clear trend (like 1/N, 1/N^2 or similar).

Thank you for your reply.

Which missing 2 do you mean? For the formula of the trapezium method?

Oh right, I see, you mean to compute:
[itex]|\bar{I}-I_1|[/itex], [itex]|\bar{I}-I_2|[/itex], [itex]|\bar{I}-I_3|[/itex] ?

fred_91 said:
Which missing 2 do you mean? For the formula of the trapezium method?
Right.

Oh right, I see, you mean to compute:
[itex]|\bar{I}-I_1|[/itex], [itex]|\bar{I}-I_2|[/itex], [itex]|\bar{I}-I_3|[/itex] ?
Right. It could give a hint about the convergence rate.

Oh right, I see the missing 2 :)

the formula should be:
[itex]I=\int_a^b f(x)dx=\frac{b-a}{2N}\left(f(x_0)+f(x_1)+f(x_2) + f(x_3)+...+f(x_{N-1})+f(x_N) \right)[/itex].

So, I could say that
[itex]|\bar{I}-I_1|[/itex] is an approximation of the error?

Thanks again.

and similarly for [itex]I_2, I_3[/itex].

fred_91 said:
So, I could say that
[itex]|\bar{I}-I_1|[/itex] is an approximation of the error?
Sure.

Related to Convergence rate (with unknown exact solution)

What is convergence rate?

Convergence rate refers to the speed at which a numerical method or algorithm approaches the exact solution of a mathematical problem. It is a measure of how quickly the approximation gets closer to the true solution.

Why is convergence rate important?

Convergence rate is important because it indicates the efficiency and accuracy of a numerical method. A faster convergence rate means that the method requires fewer iterations or computations to reach the exact solution, making it more efficient.

How is convergence rate calculated?

Convergence rate is typically calculated by the ratio of the error at one iteration to the error at the next iteration. This ratio is then raised to the power of the number of iterations, giving the overall convergence rate of the method.

What factors can affect the convergence rate?

The convergence rate can be affected by the choice of numerical method, the initial guess or starting point, the precision of calculations, and the complexity of the problem. In general, a more accurate and efficient method will have a faster convergence rate.

What is the relationship between convergence rate and error?

A higher convergence rate typically means a smaller error between the numerical solution and the exact solution. However, it is important to note that a fast convergence rate does not guarantee a completely accurate solution, as other factors such as numerical instability or round-off errors may still affect the final result.