Continuity and strictly increasing functions

In summary, the author tries to solve a problem where there exists a, b, c between 0 and 1. where 0 < a < b < c < 1. where f(0) < f(a) < f(b) and f(c) < f(b) < f(1). However, they assume that the function is not strictly increasing which is not true. They show that if [0,1] is an interval, then there exists a value between 0 and 1 that I will call a, and therefore there exists a value between a and 1 called b and then there is a value between b and 1 called c. Finally, they state that by assuming that the function is not strictly increasing, they
kingstrick

Homework Statement

Let f:[0,1] →ℝ be a continuous function that does not take on any of its values twice and with f(0) < f(1), show that f is strictly increasing on [0,1].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume that f is not strictly increasing on [0,1]. Therefore there exists a,b,c between 0 and 1. where 0 < a < b < c < 1. such that f(0) < f(a) < f(b) and f(c) < f(b) < f(1). By the intermediate value theorem there exist a x between (a,b) and a y between (b,c) for there exists a k where f(a) < k < f(b) and f(c) < k < f(b) and f(x) = k and f(y) = k. Contradiction Therefore f is strictly increasing on [0,1].

Does this proof work or am I missing something again?

Physics news on Phys.org
kingstrick said:
Therefore there exists a,b,c between 0 and 1. where 0 < a < b < c < 1. such that f(0) < f(a) < f(b) and f(c) < f(b) < f(1).

I don't think this is necessarily true. How do you conclude the existence of those a,b and c??

The idea of your proof is good though.

If [0,1] is an interval then there exists a value between 0 and 1 that I will call a, and therefore there exists a value between a and 1 since it is a interval which I call b and then there is a value between b and 1 called c as [b,1] is also an interval.

micromass' question seemed to be asking how you can select a, b and c to give the relationships you state for f(a), f(b) and f(c). Certainly there are non-monotonic functions that do not allow such a selection: ##x^2-0.5x##, for example.

Am I not allowed to assume and/or define their relationship? I mean for it to be non-mono there must be a point in the middle (not literally) of the interval where f(x) is either the min/max or at least curve up and then back down (or down then back up). So why can't I pick that number to be the value of f(b)?

Last edited:
Well, you have to define how you pick the points properly for a proof. And my example function ##x^2-0.5x## does not allow you to pick points in the way you defined them. Neither does ##1.5x-x^2##. So you have to deal with those possibilities.

I think you are on the right track, but you're not quite nailling down the proof yet.

kingstrick said:
Am I not allowed to assume and/or define their relationship?

You are allowed to define their relationship so long as their relationship holds for all non-monotonic functions in this case. Consider the example that Joffan posted. Making the selection you mentioned is not possible.

kingstrick said:
Am I not allowed to assume and/or define their relationship? I mean for it to be non-mono there must be a point in the middle (not literally) of the interval where f(x) is either the min/max or at least curve up and then back down (or down then back up). So why can't I pick that number to be the value of f(b)?

Essentially b is a local maximum in your proof. If a function goes down and then up, it has no local maximum, but the function isn't strictly increasing, So you can't assume there is a local maximum.

Instead of trying to pick three points, just pick two points that break the definition of increasing

Actually, scrub that. By all means look at those functions but only to see that there are alternative shapes you might need to think about in [0,1].

The basic problem as that you are picking three points, and you really only need to pick two, based on some interval where the function is not increasing.

[[ edit: :smile: as Office Shredder said ]]

Related to Continuity and strictly increasing functions

1. What is the definition of a continuous function?

A continuous function is a mathematical function where small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. In other words, there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph of the function.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if it is defined for all values in its domain and the limit of the function as x approaches a given value is equal to the function value at that point. Additionally, the left and right-hand limits of the function at that point must exist and be equal.

3. What is the definition of a strictly increasing function?

A strictly increasing function is a function where the output value increases as the input value increases. In other words, as x increases, the value of f(x) also increases, and there are no equal values between two different inputs.

4. How do you determine if a function is strictly increasing?

A function is strictly increasing if for any two input values, a and b, where a < b, the output values f(a) and f(b) satisfy f(a) < f(b). This means that as the input values increase, the output values must also increase.

5. Can a function be both continuous and strictly increasing?

Yes, a function can be both continuous and strictly increasing. A function that is continuous and strictly increasing will have a smooth, unbroken graph that increases in value as the input increases. An example of a function that is both continuous and strictly increasing is f(x) = x^2.