A question regarding continuous function on a closed interval

aalma
Homework Statement
Let ##f## be continuous on ##[a, b] ## and differentiable on ##(a, b)## and assume there is ##c\in(a, b) ## such that ##(f(c) - f(a))(f(b) - f(c)) <0## then there exists ##t\in(a, b) ## such that ##f'(t) =0##.
Relevant Equations
##(f(c) - f(a))((f)(b) - f(c)) <0##
##(f(c) - f(a))((f)(b) - f(c)) <0## tells us that there are two cases:

##f(c) >f(a), f(b) ##
##f(c) <f(a), f(b) ##.
I guess we need to define a new function here that let us use the Rolle's theorem..
But it is not clear enough how to do so.

Physics news on Phys.org
aalma said:
Homework Statement: Let ##f## be continuous on ##[a, b] ## and differentiable on ##(a, b)## and assume there is ##c\in(a, b) ## such that ##(f(c) - f(a))(f(b) - f(c)) <0## then there exists ##t\in(a, b) ## such that ##f'(t) =0##.
Relevant Equations: ##(f(c) - f(a))((f)(b) - f(c)) <0##

##f(c) >f(a), f(b) ##
##f(c) <f(a), f(b) ##.
I guess we need to define a new function here that let us use the Rolle's theorem..
But it is not clear enough how to do so.

Isn't [tex]
g: [a,b] \to \mathbb{R} : x \mapsto (f(x) - f(a))(f(b) - f(x))[/tex] the obvious candidate?

Likes aalma
pasmith said:
Isn't [tex]
g: [a,b] \to \mathbb{R} : x \mapsto (f(x) - f(a))(f(b) - f(x))[/tex] the obvious candidate?
Yeah, nut then ##g(a)=0=g(b)## and since g is continuos on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b) so by Roll's theorem there is ##t \in (a,b): g'(t)=0## but then how to use that ##g(c)<0##?

aalma said:
Yeah, nut then ##g(a)=0=g(b)## and since g is continuos on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b) so by Roll's theorem there is ##t \in (a,b): g'(t)=0## but then how to use that ##g(c)<0##?
You need ##f'(t)=0.## Differentiate ##g(x).##

Likes aalma
fresh_42 said:
You need ##f'(t)=0.## Differentiate ##g(x).##
Right, this gives ##g'(x)=f'(x)(f(a)-2f(x)+f(b))##. ##g'(t)=0## but how this says that ##f'(t)## must be 0? (How we use the assumption abou c?)

I haven't done the problem.

The idea seems to be to prove that there is at least a minimum or a maximum between ##a## and ##b.## That's Weierstraß's extreme value theorem. It is proven with sequences. I assume we are supposed to prove it differently. The existence of ##c## guarantees at least that ##f## isn't a constant function. We can further assume that ##f(c) > f(a)## and ##f(c) > f(b)## as the other case is very likely along the same line of proof.

Rolle gives us - excuse me that I check your calculation -
\begin{align*}
g'(x)&=f'(x)(f(b)-f(x)) -f'(x)(f(x)-f(a))=f'(x)(f(b)-2f(x)+f(a))\\
g'(\xi_1)&=0=f'(\xi_1)(f(b)-2f(\xi)+f(a))
\end{align*}
If ##f'(\xi_1)=0## then we are done. Otherwise,
\begin{align*}
0&=f(b)-2f(\xi_1)+f(a) \Longrightarrow f(\xi_1)=\dfrac{f(b)+f(a)}{2} <f(c)
\end{align*}
I would now repeat this process on ##[a,\xi_1].## We either find a value ##f'(\xi_n)=0## or ##\displaystyle{\lim_{n \to \infty}\xi_n=a.} ## This means ##\displaystyle{\lim_{n \to \infty}f(\xi_n)=f(a)} ## by continuity of ##f##.

We must now show that this cannot happen. Something must go wrong when ##c\not\in [a,\xi_n]## in our process anymore.

aalma said:

##f(c) >f(a), f(b) ##
##f(c) <f(a), f(b) ##.
Here’s a (non-mathematician’s) suggestion...

Consider, say, the first case where ##f(c) >f(a), f(b)##. (This corresponds to the existance of one or more maxima in the interval.)

For the purpose of explanation, suppose that ##f(a)>f(b)##.

Since ##f(x)## is continuous, there is some value of ##x## (say ##x=d##) such that ##f(d) = f(a)##.
##c## lies in the interval ##(a, d)##.

For the interval ##(a, d)##, ##f(x)## has equal endpoints, so Rolle’s theorem applies directly.

aalma said:
Right, this gives ##g'(x)=f'(x)(f(a)-2f(x)+f(b))##. ##g'(t)=0## but how this says that ##f'(t)## must be 0? (How we use the assumption abou c?)

If [itex]g'(\xi) = 0[/itex] then either [itex]f'(\xi) = 0[/itex] or [itex]f(\xi) = (f(b) + f(a))/2[/itex]. in the first case we are done. What is the value of [itex]g(\xi)[/itex] in the second case? Does the fact that [itex]g(c) < 0[/itex] allow you to find a smaller interval on which to apply Rolle's Thorem again?

Steve4Physics said:
Here’s a (non-mathematician’s) suggestion...

Consider, say, the first case where ##f(c) >f(a), f(b)##. (This corresponds to the existance of one or more maxima in the interval.)

For the purpose of explanation, suppose that ##f(a)>f(b)##.

Since ##f(x)## is continuous, there is some value of ##x## (say ##x=d##) such that ##f(d) = f(a)##.
##c## lies in the interval ##(a, d)##.

For the interval ##(a, d)##, ##f(x)## has equal endpoints, so Rolle’s theorem applies directly.
I think you would apply the Intermediate Value Theorem in this context. It states:

If ##f## is a continuous function whose domain contains the interval ##[c, b]##, then it takes on any given value between ##f(c)## and ##f(b)## at some point within the interval.

I agree to use IVT. This is one of my favorite applications of Rolle. I.e. to show that a differentiable function that changes direction must have zero derivative somewhere in between. It is a bit tedious to treat all cases, but the point is that a continuous function that changes direction on an interval must take the same value at some two distinct points.

Note the hypothesis here implies the function is not monotone on (a,b).

A nice corollary is that a differentiable function on an interval, with derivative never zero, must be monotone. People usually use MVT for this but this shows Rolle is enough.

Related to A question regarding continuous function on a closed interval

1. What is a continuous function on a closed interval?

A continuous function on a closed interval is a function that is defined and behaves smoothly over the entire interval without any breaks, jumps, or sharp changes in value. This means that the function is continuous at every point within the interval.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous on a closed interval?

To determine if a function is continuous on a closed interval, you need to check three conditions: the function is defined at every point within the interval, the limit of the function exists at every point within the interval, and the limit of the function as it approaches each point from the left is equal to the limit as it approaches from the right.

3. Why is it important for a function to be continuous on a closed interval?

Having a function that is continuous on a closed interval is important because it ensures that the function behaves predictably and smoothly over the entire interval. This property is crucial for many applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. Can a function be continuous on a closed interval but not on an open interval?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be continuous on a closed interval but not on an open interval. This can happen if the function has a discontinuity at one or more points within the open interval but is continuous at the endpoints of the closed interval.

5. What are some common examples of continuous functions on closed intervals?

Some common examples of continuous functions on closed intervals include linear functions, polynomial functions, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions. These functions exhibit smooth and predictable behavior over their respective intervals.