Considering withdrawing from Complex Analysis

In summary, the speaker is a math major struggling in their Complex Analysis class. They studied for 3 hours for a quiz on topology of the complex plane and got a score of 40-50%. They are worried about their upcoming test and are considering dropping the class, but are unsure if a withdrawal would be better than a potential low grade for their graduate school application.
Hercuflea
Hey everyone,

I'm a math major and I am having a lot of trouble in my Complex Analysis class right now. I studied for 3 hours today for our first quiz on topology of the complex plane and I got somewhere between 40-50%. I memorized all the definitions but screwed up drawing the regions. Our test is the next class. I need this class for applying to NucEng graduate school, but I'm worried I could get a C, D, or even an F. Would a W be better than a C or a D?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you need the class, I don't see how a W helps.

Related to Considering withdrawing from Complex Analysis

1. What is Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It involves the application of calculus to complex numbers and the study of their properties and behaviors.

2. Why would someone consider withdrawing from Complex Analysis?

There could be various reasons why someone would consider withdrawing from Complex Analysis. Some common reasons might include difficulty in understanding the concepts, struggling with the complex mathematical equations, or finding the subject uninteresting.

3. Is Complex Analysis a difficult subject?

Complex Analysis can be a challenging subject for some individuals due to its abstract nature and complex mathematical concepts. However, with dedication and practice, it can be mastered.

4. What are the applications of Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to solve problems related to electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, signal processing, and many other areas.

5. Can I withdraw from Complex Analysis and still pursue a career in science?

Yes, withdrawing from Complex Analysis does not necessarily mean giving up on a career in science. While it is a fundamental subject in mathematics, there are other branches and areas of science that do not heavily rely on Complex Analysis.