Conservation of Momentum Question

I think not.)In summary, an incompressible fluid of density ##\rho## flows steadily through a 2D infinite row of fixed shapes. The vertical distance between shapes is ##a## and the stations are defined as the space where velocity enters and exits. Velocity and pressure are constant along the stations and are given by ##v_1##, ##v_2##, ##p_1##, ##p_2##. The angle of the flow at station 1 is ##\beta_1## and at station 2 it is ##\beta_2##. The reactions ##R_x## and ##R_y## are necessary to keep one vane in place and can be calculated using
member 428835

Homework Statement

An incompressible fluid of density ##\rho## flows steadily through a 2D infinite row of fixed shapes. The vertical distance between shapes is ##a##. Define station 1 as the space where velocity enters and station 2 where it exits. Also, velocity and pressure are constant along stations 1 and 2, and are given by ##v_1##, ##v_2##, ##p_1##, ##p_2##. The angle the flow makes with the horizontal direction at station 1 is ##\beta_1##, and it is ##\beta_2## at station 2. Compute the reactions ##R_x## and ##R_y## necessary to keep one vane in place.

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

Horizontal forces at station 1 are ## F_{x1} = ap_1+\rho a^2v_1^2 \cos^2 \beta_1## (since 2D I assume pressure is force per unit line and density is mass/square unit). I only wrote ##a^2## to make sure the dimensions agree. I have no intuition as to why it should be there though, although I do understand it for the pressure. Horizontal forces at station 2 are ## F_{x2} = -ap_2+\rho a^2v_2^2 \cos^2 \beta_2##. Then the reaction would be ##R_x = F_{x1} - F_{x2}##. How does this look so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
I find the description much too vague. Is there a diagram with this? The horizontal is mentioned, so is one of the two dimensions vertical or are they both horizontal?

Here's the picture. Please let me know if I can be clearer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 6.48.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 6.48.31 PM.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 469
Yes, that certainly clarifies it.
Your work so far looks right to me, except that I see no reason for the extra factor of a. The dimensions were fine without it, on the basis that, as you say, force is per unit depth. I think your mistake is in also saying density is per unit area. It might help to introduce some arbitrary length in the direction perpendicular to the page.
I believe some simplification can be done. Since the flow is incompressible, there is a relationship between v1, v2, β1 and β2.

haruspex said:
Yes, that certainly clarifies it.
Your work so far looks right to me, except that I see no reason for the extra factor of a. The dimensions were fine without it, on the basis that, as you say, force is per unit depth. I think your mistake is in also saying density is per unit area. It might help to introduce some arbitrary length in the direction perpendicular to the page.
I believe some simplification can be done. Since the flow is incompressible, there is a relationship between v1, v2, β1 and β2.

Okay, so let's let ##W## be the width coming out of the page. Then a force balance implies ##R_x+p_1aW + \rho V_1^2 a W \cos \beta_1 = p_2aW + \rho V_2^2 a W \cos \beta_2##. Does this look correct? Here ##R_x## is the force exerted on the shapes.

Is the relationship you're referring to Bernoulli's?

joshmccraney said:
Here R_x is the force exerted on the shapes.
The way you have written the equation, it would be the force the shapes exert on the flow. Other than that, it looks right.
joshmccraney said:
Is the relationship you're referring to Bernoulli's?
No, it is the equation which expresses non-compressibility, i.e. volumetric flow out = volumetric flow in.

haruspex said:
The way you have written the equation, it would be the force the shapes exert on the flow. Other than that, it looks right.
Hmmm can you explain how you knew this? I'm wanting to know so I can do this on my own next time. Also, looking at the equation I wrote, shouldn't the pressure force at station two be negative when placed on the right side of the equation, since it is acting to the left, in the negative-x direction?

haruspex said:
No, it is the equation which expresses non-compressibility, i.e. volumetric flow out = volumetric flow in.
Do we need this since density, angles, and both velocities are given? Isn't conservation of volume ##\rho a W v_1 \cos \beta_1=\rho a W v_2 \cos \beta_2##?

joshmccraney said:
can you explain how you knew this?
Just look at the two pressure terms. p1 applies a force left to right, p2 applies a force right to left. The net force to the right is therefore the p1 term minus the p2 term.
joshmccraney said:
Do we need this since density, angles, and both velocities are given? Isn't conservation of volume ##\rho a W v_1 \cos \beta_1=\rho a W v_2 \cos \beta_2##?
Yes, that's the equation. As I wrote, it provides a simplification to the net horizontal force.

haruspex said:
Just look at the two pressure terms. p1 applies a force left to right, p2 applies a force right to left. The net force to the right is therefore the p1 term minus the p2 term.
Shoot, so I guess what I should have written is the total force exerted on the shapes equals the momentum force and the pressure force. Then we would have ##R_x = p_1 a W - p_2 a W + a W v_1^2 \cos \beta_1-a W v_2^2 \cos \beta_2##? This seems like I've written something wrong though since the momentum force at station 2 is going in the opposite direction as the pressure force at station 2. What are your thoughts?

haruspex said:
Yes, that's the equation. As I wrote, it provides a simplification to the net horizontal force.
Gotcha!

joshmccraney said:
the momentum force at station 2 is going in the opposite direction as the pressure force at station 2.
It is? The station 1 terms there are both positive, and the station 2 terms both negative. It all looks consistent to me.

haruspex said:
It is? The station 1 terms there are both positive, and the station 2 terms both negative. It all looks consistent to me.
Hmmmm, at station 2 I thought momentum was leaving to the right yet pressure was acting to the left. Is this true? If so, wouldn't they have opposite signs since they are acting in opposite directions?

Thanks for your help by the way!

First, I only just noticed that in going from post #1 to post #5 you dropped the powers of 2 on the cos terms. Is that a typo? I believe they should be squared. (If not squared, the simplification I mentioned is not that dramatic.)
joshmccraney said:
Hmmmm, at station 2 I thought momentum was leaving to the right yet pressure was acting to the left. Is this true? If so, wouldn't they have opposite signs since they are acting in opposite directions?

Thanks for your help by the way!
With the above corrected, there is no change to horizontal momentum, so it becomes academic - the terms cancel.
Overlooking that, the drop in horizontal momentum, will be momentum1-momentum2. That would be a result of a leftward force from the vanes. The corresponding rightward force the flow exerts on the vanes would therefore equal momentum1-momentum2.

haruspex said:
First, I only just noticed that in going from post #1 to post #5 you dropped the powers of 2 on the cos terms. Is that a typo? I believe they should be squared. (If not squared, the simplification I mentioned is not that dramatic.)
Yes, that is a typo. Thanks for pointing this out.

haruspex said:
With the above corrected, there is no change to horizontal momentum, so it becomes academic - the terms cancel.
Overlooking that, the drop in horizontal momentum, will be momentum1-momentum2. That would be a result of a leftward force from the vanes. The corresponding rightward force the flow exerts on the vanes would therefore equal momentum1-momentum2.
Okay, so that I understand you we have ##\Sigma {F} = m {a}## (since mass is not time dependent here) which implies the x-direction balance becomes ##-R_x + \rho a W v_1^2 \cos^2\beta_1-\rho a W v_2^2 \cos^2\beta_2 + p_1aW-p_2aW=0##. Conservation of mass implies flow in = flow out, which implies ##\rho a W v_1^2 \cos^2\beta_1=\rho a W v_2^2 \cos^2\beta_2##. This simplifies the equation to ##-R_x + p_1aW-p_2aW=0 \implies R_x=p_1aW-p_2aW##. This is what you were saying, right?

joshmccraney said:
Yes, that is a typo. Thanks for pointing this out.

Okay, so that I understand you we have ##\Sigma {F} = m {a}## (since mass is not time dependent here) which implies the x-direction balance becomes ##-R_x + \rho a W v_1^2 \cos^2\beta_1-\rho a W v_2^2 \cos^2\beta_2 + p_1aW-p_2aW=0##. Conservation of mass implies flow in = flow out, which implies ##\rho a W v_1^2 \cos^2\beta_1=\rho a W v_2^2 \cos^2\beta_2##. This simplifies the equation to ##-R_x + p_1aW-p_2aW=0 \implies R_x=p_1aW-p_2aW##. This is what you were saying, right?
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.
Cool! So how would we deal with the vertical force? I don't think pressure is considered, and conservation of mass implies vertical volumetric flow is zero too, right?

joshmccraney said:
Cool! So how would we deal with the vertical force? I don't think pressure is considered, and conservation of mass implies vertical volumetric flow is zero too, right?
There is a change to the vertical momentum of the fluid.

haruspex said:
There is a change to the vertical momentum of the fluid.
So I am now wondering if the correct conservation of volume constraint should instead be written as ##v_1 \cos \beta_1 + v_1 \sin \beta_1=v_2 \cos \beta_2 + v_2 \sin \beta_2##? If so then ##F_x## is not as simple, but then we have ##-F_y +a W \rho v_1^2 \sin^2 \beta_1-a W \rho v_2^2 \sin^2 \beta_2=0##, where I did not include pressure since I think it acts only horizontally. What do you think?

joshmccraney said:
So I am now wondering if the correct conservation of volume constraint should instead be written as ##v_1 \cos \beta_1 + v_1 \sin \beta_1=v_2 \cos \beta_2 + v_2 \sin \beta_2##?
By what reasoning?

haruspex said:
By what reasoning?
Shoot, now I'm confusing myself. Perhaps you could explain to me why this is not correct? Sorry for dragging this out, I just really want to understand this.

joshmccraney said:
Shoot, now I'm confusing myself. Perhaps you could explain to me why this is not correct? Sorry for dragging this out, I just really want to understand this.
Consider the flow in. If the speed is v1, how would you calculate the volumetric flow? What do you need to multiply by?

haruspex said:
Consider the flow in. If the speed is v1, how would you calculate the volumetric flow? What do you need to multiply by?
Would have to be the two space dimensions orthogonal to velocity (in this case ##a## and ##W##). Then volumetric flow is ##a W v_1##.

joshmccraney said:
Would have to be the two space dimensions orthogonal to velocity (in this case ##a## and ##W##). Then volumetric flow is ##a W v_1##.
a is not the width orthogonal to v1. Consider the angle.

haruspex said:
a is not the width orthogonal to v1. Consider the angle.
Shoot, yea I made a typo. Should be (in the x-direction) ##a W v_1 \cos \beta_1## at station 1 and the y-direction should be ##W v_1\sin\beta_1## but what length to introduce? I assume this is what you were getting at? Would we just define a length from station 1 to station 2, call that length ##H##. Then ##H W v_1\sin\beta_1##.

joshmccraney said:
Should be (in the x-direction) ##aW v_1 \cos \beta_1## at station 1 and the y-direction should be ##aW v_1\sin\beta_1##
Right, but the y direction is not relevant here. We just want the volumetric flow rate through each station, which is the horizontal component.
Not sure what you are asking about a length. The expression already has the right dimensions for volumetric flow.

haruspex said:
Not sure what you are asking about a length. The expression already has the right dimensions for volumetric flow.
Yea, I was asking about how to perform a mass balance in the ##y## direction. Would it just be with velocity and not pressure since pressure acts horizontally? In other words, ##-F_y + aW\rho v^2_1\sin^2 \beta_1-aW\rho v^2_2\sin^2 \beta_2=0##?

joshmccraney said:
Yea, I was asking about how to perform a mass balance in the ##y## direction. Would it just be with velocity and not pressure since pressure acts horizontally? In other words, ##-F_y + aW\rho v^2_1\sin^2 \beta_1-aW\rho v^2_2\sin^2 \beta_2=0##?
Yes, depending on how you are defining Fy. Is that the force the flow exerts on a blade (Ry) or the force a blade exerts on the flow?

I thought it was the force the blade exerts on the flow (from how I set it up). You agree?

joshmccraney said:
I thought it was the force the blade exerts on the flow (from how I set it up). You agree?
Yes.

Could you explain why these velocities don't cancel out like they did in the ##x## direction? We know ##A W v_1 \cos \beta_1=A W v_2 \cos \beta_2##. Why is this not true for the ##y## component?

joshmccraney said:
Could you explain why these velocities don't cancel out like they did in the ##x## direction? We know ##A W v_1 \cos \beta_1=A W v_2 \cos \beta_2##. Why is this not true for the ##y## component?
In the x direction, we know that the volumetric rate of flow into the blade system from the left must equal the flow out on the right. In the y direction there is no requirement that volumetric rate of flow up the left side of the blades must equal that on the right side.

haruspex said:
In the x direction, we know that the volumetric rate of flow into the blade system from the left must equal the flow out on the right. In the y direction there is no requirement that volumetric rate of flow up the left side of the blades must equal that on the right side.
Ok, I think I have it! I wrote up a proof, starting with the momentum equation, assuming incompressible, steady, non-viscous flow and neglecting body forces. I'll attach it since typing it took some time. Let me know what you think, as I have one question with what I wrote.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 2.03.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 2.03.40 AM.png
    94.7 KB · Views: 404
joshmccraney said:
Ok, I think I have it! I wrote up a proof, starting with the momentum equation, assuming incompressible, steady, non-viscous flow and neglecting body forces. I'll attach it since typing it took some time. Let me know what you think, as I have one question with what I wrote.
Yes, that all looks correct to me.

haruspex said:
Yes, that all looks correct to me.
Awesome, thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

I get the opposite signs than you have obtained for the components of the external force necessary to hold the vane in place.

Chestermiller said:
I get the opposite signs than you have obtained for the components of the external force necessary to hold the vane in place.
Good point. I read the diagram as indicating Rx and Ry are the forces the flow exerts on the vanes, and did not notice that wording.

<h2>What is the conservation of momentum?</h2><p>The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any external forces acting on the system. This means that the total momentum before and after a collision or interaction between objects must be the same.</p><h2>Why is conservation of momentum important?</h2><p>The conservation of momentum is important because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in a system. It allows us to analyze and calculate the velocities and directions of objects before and after collisions or interactions. This principle is also essential in fields such as engineering, where it is used to design and optimize systems such as rockets and vehicles.</p><h2>What are the different types of momentum?</h2><p>There are two types of momentum: linear momentum and angular momentum. Linear momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity, while angular momentum is the product of an object's moment of inertia and angular velocity. Both types of momentum are conserved in a closed system.</p><h2>What are some real-life examples of conservation of momentum?</h2><p>One example of conservation of momentum is a game of billiards. When the cue ball hits the other balls, the total momentum of the system remains constant, even though the individual balls may have different velocities and directions. Another example is a rocket launch, where the rocket's momentum increases as it expels exhaust gases in the opposite direction.</p><h2>How does the conservation of momentum relate to Newton's Third Law?</h2><p>Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, they exert equal and opposite forces on each other. The conservation of momentum is closely related to this law, as the total momentum of a system must remain constant even when there are equal and opposite forces acting on different objects within the system.</p>

Related to Conservation of Momentum Question

What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any external forces acting on the system. This means that the total momentum before and after a collision or interaction between objects must be the same.

Why is conservation of momentum important?

The conservation of momentum is important because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in a system. It allows us to analyze and calculate the velocities and directions of objects before and after collisions or interactions. This principle is also essential in fields such as engineering, where it is used to design and optimize systems such as rockets and vehicles.

What are the different types of momentum?

There are two types of momentum: linear momentum and angular momentum. Linear momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity, while angular momentum is the product of an object's moment of inertia and angular velocity. Both types of momentum are conserved in a closed system.

What are some real-life examples of conservation of momentum?

One example of conservation of momentum is a game of billiards. When the cue ball hits the other balls, the total momentum of the system remains constant, even though the individual balls may have different velocities and directions. Another example is a rocket launch, where the rocket's momentum increases as it expels exhaust gases in the opposite direction.

How does the conservation of momentum relate to Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, they exert equal and opposite forces on each other. The conservation of momentum is closely related to this law, as the total momentum of a system must remain constant even when there are equal and opposite forces acting on different objects within the system.