Conservation of momentum in relativistic disintegration

In summary: It does seem that you have a sign error in the last but one calculation, as others have pointed out. But the real problem may be further back.In summary, the conversation discusses the study of a photon disintegrating into one electron and one positron in the presence of a heavy atomic core. The goal is to find the final momentum of the atomic core using equations for conservation of energy and momentum, as well as the relationship between energy and momentum for a massless particle. However, there appears to be a sign error in the calculations, as a negative momentum is obtained, indicating a negative energy.
Frank Einstein

Homework Statement

Hi everybody, I was studyng a photon disintegrating in one electron and one positron in the presence of a heavy atomic core; I want to find the final momentum of the atomic core

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy: Eγ=2me+Sqrt(Mn2+Pn2)
Conservation of momentum Pγ=Pn
Relation between the energy and momentum of a maseless particle Pγ=Eγ

The Attempt at a Solution

From the conservation of energy: (Eγ-2me)2=Mn2+Pn2; and since Pn=Eγ, operating after developing (Eγ-2me)2, I obtain Pn=4me-(Mn2/me). If I introduce the values in units of atomic mass, I obtain a negative value of Pn, the momentum of the atomic core.
Can anyone please tell me what am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Frank Einstein said:
I obtain Pn=4me-(Mn2/me).
I get a different equation. Please post your working.

haruspex said:
I get a different equation. Please post your working.
This is what I have calculated:

I start from Eγ=Pn and Eγ=2me+Sqrt[Mn^2+Pn^2]

Eγ-2me=Sqrt[Mn^2+Pn^2]

(Eγ-2me)^2=Mn^2+Pn^2

(Eγ)^2+4(me^2)-4meEγ=Mn^2+Pn^2. Then, (Eγ)^2 on the left and Pn^2 on the right cancel each other.

4me^2-4meEγ=Mn^2

4me^2-Mn^2=4meEγ=4mePn

Pn=(4me^2-Mn^2)/me=4me-(Mn^2)/me

Frank Einstein said:
4me^2-Mn^2=4meEγ=4mePn

Pn=(4me^2-Mn^2)/me=4me-(Mn^2)/me
Fine until the last step. However, correcting it will not fix your sign problem, so the error must be much earlier, in one of your initial equations. I am not a nuclear physicist, so cannot comment on those.

Frank Einstein said:
Relation between the energy and momentum of a massless particle Pγ=Eγ
To be more correct, in units where c=1 and dealing with massless particles, |P| = E. If you got a negative momentum then you must have had a negative energy. If you have a negative energy then something does not add up.

I am having a horrible time trying to decrypt the ASCII math in the original post without a cheat sheet for the variable names.

Related to Conservation of momentum in relativistic disintegration

1. What is the concept of conservation of momentum in relativistic disintegration?

The concept of conservation of momentum in relativistic disintegration states that the total momentum of a system before and after a disintegration event remains constant.

2. How does relativistic disintegration differ from classical disintegration?

Relativistic disintegration takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, while classical disintegration does not. This means that relativistic disintegration involves higher velocities and energies.

3. Can the conservation of momentum be violated in relativistic disintegration?

No, the conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated, even in relativistic disintegration events.

4. What is the role of conservation of momentum in understanding relativistic disintegration?

The conservation of momentum is crucial in understanding the outcomes of relativistic disintegration events, as it allows us to calculate the velocities and energies of the resulting particles.

5. How is the conservation of momentum applied in practical applications of relativistic disintegration?

The conservation of momentum is applied in various practical applications, such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactors, to control and predict the outcomes of relativistic disintegration events.