Special relativity momentum and energy conservation

In summary, the problem involves two identical particles colliding head-on and forming a single new particle. By using conservation of momentum and energy, we can determine the mass of the new particle. The velocity can be treated as a vector and the Lorentz velocity transformation may be used. It is helpful to consider the centre-of-momentum frame. The mass of the new particle will not necessarily be twice the mass of the original particles, as kinetic energy can be converted to mass in a relativistic collision.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Two identical particles of mass m travel towards each other at speed v; they combine and form a single new particle. By employing conservation of momentum and conservation of energy, what is the mass of this new particle in

Homework Equations

Relativistic momentum and total energy , possibly lorentz velocity transformation

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost to where to start with this, because of two reasons. I can see if I need to use a frame of reference, I not sure if the v<<c and do I take the velocity as a vector?

I know the momentum and total energy are consevered in relativity but in the question I see that if the final momentum is equal to the sum of the initial surely this 0 because they are moving at the same speed and they are the same mass, so how can they even move at a speed after the collision. My lecture has not explained this very well in his notes and I am very lost could someone please help me.

Also tell me what the latex tags are for the physics forum. Big thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:

Homework Statement

Two identical particles of mass m travel towards each other at speed v; they combine and form a single new particle. By employing conservation of momentum and conservation of energy, what is the mass of this new particle in

Homework Equations

Relativistic momentum and total energy , possibly lorentz velocity transformation

I am completely lost to where to start with this, because of two reasons. I can see if I need to use a frame of reference, I not sure if the v<<c and do I take the velocity as a vector?

I know the momentum and total energy are consevered in relativity but in the question I see that if the final momentum is equal to the sum of the initial surely this 0 because they are moving at the same speed and they are the same mass, so how can they even move at a speed after the collision. My lecture has not explained this very well in his notes and I am very lost could someone please help me.

Also tell me what the latex tags are for the physics forum. Big thanks in advance.

I think it's safe to assume that "towards each other" means a head-on collision. So, momentum before the collision is 0, as you suspected.

Latex in line ##E = mc^2## or isolated: $$E = mc^2$$

Taylor_1989 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Something to think about to clarify your thinking on the velocity and Lorentz transform: would the answer be any different if you were to use a reference frame in which one of the particles is at rest?

phinds said:
Something to think about to clarify your thinking on the velocity and Lorentz transform: would the answer be any different if you were to use a reference frame in which one of the particles is at rest?

Personally, I would prefer the centre-of-momentum frame for his one!

Thank for the response guy, I just had another look and it dawned on me. I mean momentum would be 0 and then I could total energy of the system is equal to the rest energy hence \(\displaystyle E=mc^2[\math]\)

Taylor_1989 said:
Thank for the response guy, I just had another look and it dawned on me. I mean momentum would be 0 and then I could total energy of the system is equal to the rest energy hence \(\displaystyle E=mc^2[\math]\)
\(\displaystyle

You have to enclose the math in side two # or two $
eg:
#`# e = mc^2 #`#
or $`$ e = mc^2 $`$

just don't put ` in between.It is to stop the rendering of math.\)

Likes Taylor_1989
Taylor_1989 said:
\(\displaystyle

No. If the collision is perfectly inelastic (all kinetic energy converted to mass) then the mass afterwards would NOT be ##2m## in the relativistic case. (In the classical case we would not have conservation of energy because mass end energy are not equivalent in that regime.)\)

Related to Special relativity momentum and energy conservation

1. What is the theory of special relativity?

The theory of special relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, describes how the laws of physics apply in frames of reference that are moving at constant velocities relative to each other. It is based on the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does special relativity affect momentum?

Special relativity introduces the concept of relativistic momentum, which takes into account the effects of high speeds on an object's momentum. As an object approaches the speed of light, its relativistic momentum increases significantly compared to its classical momentum. This is due to the fact that as an object's velocity increases, its mass also increases according to the famous equation E=mc^2.

3. What is energy conservation in special relativity?

In special relativity, energy conservation is still a fundamental principle, but it is modified to account for the fact that energy and mass are equivalent. This means that energy can be converted into mass and vice versa. The total energy (including both rest energy and kinetic energy) of a system is always conserved, even in cases where mass is created or destroyed.

4. How does special relativity explain the twin paradox?

The twin paradox is a thought experiment in which one twin stays on Earth while the other travels at high speeds through space. According to special relativity, the traveling twin will experience time dilation, meaning that time will pass slower for them compared to the twin on Earth. This results in the traveling twin aging less than the twin on Earth, creating the paradox.

5. Can special relativity be applied to everyday life?

Yes, special relativity has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in GPS systems, particle accelerators, and medical imaging devices. It also helps us understand the behavior of matter at high speeds, which is important for technologies like nuclear power and space travel.