Confusion regarding to polar form representation of AC quantity

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion of writing an AC voltage source in polar form, specifically the preferred phase angle in electrical engineering practice. The question arises of whether to use 255.96◦ or -104.04◦, and the response is that from an EE perspective, phase is typically measured starting at the real axis and rotating counter-clockwise, making 255.96◦ the preferred angle. However, when comparing phase relationships between two waveforms, it is more common to use angles between 0 to +180 degrees and 0 to -180 degrees.
mdnazmulh
I'm sure my question is very simple to most of u guys. But I have the following confusion.
Let's say we have an AC voltage source in a circuit. In rectangular form it's phasor form is
v= -4 - 16 j .
I want to write this phasor in polar form. Well, The phasor is in 3rd quadrant of complex plane.
It's magnitude comes out to be 16.49
For phase angle,
[tex]\phi[/tex] = arctan (-16/-4) = 75.96◦
To shift 75.96 degrees from 1st quadrant to 3rd quadrant I can approach in 2 ways. like
[tex]\phi[/tex] = 75.96+ 180 = 255.96◦
or,
[tex]\phi[/tex] = 75.96- 180 = -104.04◦

Thereby in polar form, v can be written like either v= 16.49[tex]\angle255.96[/tex] or, v= 16.49[tex]\angle-104.04[/tex].
From mathematical point of view both the polar forms of v are ok.
My question is that from electrical engineering viewpoint which polar form is to be written i.e. which phase angle is preferred in practice 255.96◦ or -104.04◦?

Engineering news on Phys.org
mdnazmulh said:
I'm sure my question is very simple to most of u guys. But I have the following confusion.
Let's say we have an AC voltage source in a circuit. In rectangular form it's phasor form is
v= -4 - 16 j .
I want to write this phasor in polar form. Well, The phasor is in 3rd quadrant of complex plane.
It's magnitude comes out to be 16.49
For phase angle,
[tex]\phi[/tex] = arctan (-16/-4) = 75.96◦
To shift 75.96 degrees from 1st quadrant to 3rd quadrant I can approach in 2 ways. like
[tex]\phi[/tex] = 75.96+ 180 = 255.96◦
or,
[tex]\phi[/tex] = 75.96- 180 = -104.04◦

Thereby in polar form, v can be written like either v= 16.49[tex]\angle255.96[/tex] or, v= 16.49[tex]\angle-104.04[/tex].
From mathematical point of view both the polar forms of v are ok.
My question is that from electrical engineering viewpoint which polar form is to be written i.e. which phase angle is preferred in practice 255.96◦ or -104.04◦?

From the EE point of view (at least mine), you always picture phase starting at the real axis, and rotating counter-clockwise. So which answer would that give you?

From the EE point of view (at least mine), you always picture phase starting at the real axis, and rotating counter-clockwise. So which answer would that give you?
Well according to your statement, I have to prefer 255.96◦ as phase angle of the voltage source. Now the question rises is that phase angle preferred in EE practice?
I had to ask it because so far in those books of EE that I've been studying, I have not seen any AC voltage/current in polar form whose phase angle is that much large like 255.96◦. By the way I'm now at the beginning of 2nd year of EE course. I haven't come across a lot of circuit analysis books in 1st year. Those books I was studying always have kept phase angle of any AC quantity in the interval of -180[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\phi[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]180. So, if I follow those books then I would have to select -104.04◦.

This thing is confusing me. Mathematically both phase angles' terminating line indicates the same phasor. But I want to know in the practice of electrical engg. field which phase angle is preferred by the engineers?

When you are comparing the phase relationship of two waveforms you would normally compare them as 0 to +180 degrees and 0 to -180 degrees.

For example, if a voltage waveform is to the right of the corresponding current in a circuit (as seen on an oscilloscope display), it is said that the current is "lagging " the voltage and this is given a negative angle depending how far out of alignment the two sinewaves are.

See the diagram on the following page:
http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/ACCircuit/PhaseAngle.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank u so much vk6kro. Your link which explained phase angle in such a simple manner helped me a lot. Thank u again.

Related to Confusion regarding to polar form representation of AC quantity

What is the polar form representation of an AC quantity?

The polar form representation of an AC quantity is a way of expressing the magnitude and phase of an alternating current using complex numbers. It is represented in the form A ∠θ, where A is the magnitude and θ is the phase angle.

How is the polar form different from the rectangular form representation?

The polar form is different from the rectangular form representation in that it uses complex numbers and expresses the magnitude and phase of the AC quantity, whereas the rectangular form uses real numbers and expresses the amplitude and phase shift of the quantity.

Why is the polar form preferred over the rectangular form for AC quantities?

The polar form is preferred over the rectangular form for AC quantities because it simplifies complex calculations involving AC circuits and makes it easier to analyze the behavior of the AC quantity. Additionally, the polar form is more accurate in representing the true nature of AC circuits.

What is the significance of the magnitude and phase in the polar form representation?

The magnitude in the polar form represents the amplitude or strength of the AC quantity, while the phase represents the time delay or phase shift between the voltage and current. These two components are essential in understanding the behavior of AC circuits and determining the power and energy transfer in the system.

How is the polar form used in calculating impedance and admittance?

The polar form is used in calculating impedance and admittance by converting the complex numbers into their rectangular form, performing the necessary calculations, and then converting back to the polar form. This allows for easier manipulation and analysis of the AC circuit.