Confused about Future: Seeking Advice

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's internal conflict between pursuing a degree in chemical engineering for financial stability and pursuing their passion for physics. The speaker's family's financial struggles and their desire to support them after graduation are driving factors in their decision. They are considering the possibility of getting a master's degree in both fields, but acknowledge the challenges of entering a physics graduate program with a chemical engineering undergraduate degree. Ultimately, there is no easy solution and the options have their own advantages and disadvantages, with the academic physics route not being the most advisable for financial security.
deuce123
I'm currently at war with myself. I'm pursuing chemical engineering as of now, mainly because of two reasons. The two reasons consisting of me wanting too have some knowledge in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. The other of course is money. Money because of me needing too support my family later on after I graduate. My family struggles to the point where we make it on a month to month basis, but always stressing about the future, and how we'll support ourselves. From that, I've always had a passion for physics, and wanting too even pursue my knowledge and hopefully get a phD someday. But I don't think its possible., since after graduation I'd have too just straight into work. I've been thinking and getting a masters degree in physics, and Chem eng. is possible after graduation, but I'd much rather pursue physics and get a Phd, but in my current position it seems highly unlikely, and almost impossible. If anyone can give me some advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no easy, absolute correct solution here. There are just different options with advantages and disadvantages, but many of them can be made to work.

If you were to transfer into a physics major, you would probably get the education you want, but without the same kinds of professional options and opportunities when you graduate compared to a chemical engineer. You'll still have options and opportunities. Some people take the fact that engineers tend to have more options to mean that physics graduates have none, but on average physics graduates do tend to end up in well-paying jobs. For those without PhDs though, it's rare for them to be directly "doing" physics.

You would also be in a much better position to pursue graduate studies in physics if you study physics. It's likely going to be tough to enter a physics PhD or MSc program with a chemical engineering undergraduate degree - probably not impossible, but a lot harder than with a physics degree. A lot will depend on the courses that you take through your chemical engineering program. If you go to graduate school you'll be getting some money, probably not enough to support a family on though. Do that for 4-6 years, then you can make a little more money as a post-doctoral fellow for another few years, and only after that will you be eligible to compete for any tenure-track positions. The academic physics route is generally not advisable for someone who places a high priority on financial security and income.

Likes vela

Related to Confused about Future: Seeking Advice

What is the best way to plan for my future?

The best way to plan for your future is to start by identifying your goals and interests. From there, you can research different career paths and education options that align with your interests. It is also important to create a timeline and set realistic short-term and long-term goals to help guide your decisions.

How do I make a decision when I am unsure about my future?

When making a decision about your future, it is important to gather as much information as possible. This can include talking to people in different fields, doing research, and seeking advice from trusted mentors or career counselors. It may also be helpful to make a pros and cons list to weigh your options.

What if I change my mind about my career path in the future?

It is completely normal to change your mind about your career path as you gain new experiences and insights. It is important to remember that your future is not set in stone and you have the ability to make changes and pivot if needed. Keep an open mind and continue to explore different opportunities.

What steps can I take to prepare for my future?

There are several steps you can take to prepare for your future. These include setting goals, creating a plan, seeking education or training, gaining relevant experience through internships or volunteer work, networking, and continuously learning and adapting to new opportunities.

How can I stay motivated and confident about my future?

Staying motivated and confident about your future can be challenging, but there are ways to maintain a positive mindset. It is important to focus on your strengths, celebrate your achievements, and surround yourself with supportive and encouraging people. Remember to also take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.