Computer engineering or electrical engineering to physics?

In summary, the person is currently a computer engineering student in their second year and is considering pursuing postgraduate studies in physics or a related field. They are wondering if a degree in electrical engineering would be more beneficial for this goal. They also mention a thread discussing the possibility of getting a Ph.D. in physics with a non-physics bachelor's degree. They have already looked into this but still have a question about the relation between electrical engineering and physics.
MarwanAq
I am currently a computer engineering student , in my second year to be precise.
I was just wondering if I could continue my postgraduate studies in physics or anything similar ,
and will I be better off with a degree in electrical engineering ?.
like is electrical engineering closer to physics ?.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Computer engineering or electrical engineering to physics?

1. What is the difference between computer engineering and electrical engineering?

Computer engineering focuses specifically on the design and development of computer systems and their hardware and software components. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. Computer engineering is a subset of electrical engineering, with a focus on computers and their related technologies.

2. Which field is better suited for a career in physics?

Both computer engineering and electrical engineering have areas that can be useful for a career in physics. Computer engineering skills may be more relevant for researchers using computer simulations to model physical systems, while electrical engineering skills may be more valuable for developing and using experimental equipment and devices.

3. Is computer engineering or electrical engineering more math-intensive?

Both fields require strong math skills, but computer engineering typically requires more advanced math courses, such as discrete mathematics, linear algebra, and probability theory. Electrical engineering may focus more on applied mathematics courses, such as calculus and differential equations, but may also require some knowledge of discrete mathematics and statistics.

4. Can a degree in either field lead to a career in physics?

While a degree in computer engineering or electrical engineering may not be specifically required for a career in physics, the skills and knowledge gained in these fields can be valuable for certain areas of physics research and experimentation. Additionally, some universities may offer joint programs or concentrations in both engineering and physics.

5. What are the job prospects for computer engineering and electrical engineering graduates in the field of physics?

The job market for both computer engineering and electrical engineering graduates is generally strong, with demand for skilled professionals in a variety of industries. In the field of physics, graduates with a background in either field may find opportunities in research and development, instrumentation and equipment design, data analysis, and other related areas.