Computational Mechanics vs. Structural Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between studying computational mechanics (CM) as a mechanical engineering (ME) graduate student or structural engineering (SE) as a civil engineering (CE) graduate student. CM covers a broader range of topics and requires a deeper understanding of math compared to SE. SE is more focused on specific areas such as pre-stressed concrete structures. CM also requires more graduate level math courses than SE."
MechanicalEngr
Hello. I am currently a mechanical engineering junior at the University of Kentucky. I am beginning to consider graduate school. I know I want to study applied mechanics, but am unsure of whether I should study CM as a ME grad student or SE as a CE grad student. What is the difference between the two? Which would you expect to be more mathematically intensive? I love math, and have taken a year long sequence in real analysis as elective... more math the better. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Computational mechanics is the application of computational methods to solving problems in all branches of mechanics. CM would range from orbital dynamics to fluid mechanics, structures, etc. Structural engineering is a much narrower field than CM. Due to the variety of topics covered by CM, this field would IMO require a much broader and deeper understanding of math than SE.

Yeah, I have dug a little deeper and it is apparent by course titles. A course title for SE might be "pre-stressed concrete structures" while most titles for CM are along the lines of "Foundations of Solid Mechanics". I also noticed that CM requires at a minimum 3 graduate math classes while SE requires nothing past undergrad(calc 1-4 and 300-400 level elective). They are vastly different. Bring on the tensors!

Related to Computational Mechanics vs. Structural Engineering

1. What is the difference between Computational Mechanics and Structural Engineering?

Computational Mechanics is a branch of engineering that uses numerical methods and computer simulations to analyze and solve problems related to mechanics, while Structural Engineering is a branch of civil engineering that focuses on the design and analysis of structures such as buildings, bridges, and tunnels.

2. Which one is more important in the field of engineering?

Both Computational Mechanics and Structural Engineering are equally important in the field of engineering. While Computational Mechanics helps in understanding the behavior of complex systems and predicting their response, Structural Engineering is crucial in designing safe and efficient structures.

3. Can Computational Mechanics be used in Structural Engineering?

Yes, Computational Mechanics can be used in Structural Engineering to analyze and design structures. It allows engineers to simulate real-world conditions and test different design scenarios to find the most optimal solution.

4. What are the main applications of Computational Mechanics?

Computational Mechanics has a wide range of applications in various fields, including aerospace, automotive, biomedical, and civil engineering. It is commonly used to analyze and design structures, predict the behavior of materials, simulate fluid flow, and optimize designs.

5. Is knowledge of both Computational Mechanics and Structural Engineering necessary to be a successful engineer?

Having knowledge of both Computational Mechanics and Structural Engineering can be beneficial for an engineer, but it is not always necessary. Depending on their specialization and field of work, an engineer may only need to have a deep understanding of one of these fields. However, having a basic understanding of both can be helpful in interdisciplinary projects and collaborations.