Is structural engineering worth it?

In summary, the speaker is a third-year student pursuing a dual degree in construction management and environmental engineering. They are interested in a career with a high income and quality of life and are debating between a structural engineering and construction management career. They are considering switching to a structural engineering track, but it may add an extra semester or two and the classes will be in a language they are not fully fluent in. They are wondering if they can still become a licensed structural engineer if they stay in their current track. The speaker is studying in Israel and is from Canada. The requirements for licensure as a structural engineer vary by country.
TNesher
Hi,

Right now I am in my 3rd year of a dual construction management and environmental engineering degree. I have an interest in building things (both design & construction), but more important to me is a career with a high income and quality of life. I am debating between a structural engineering (SE) and construction management (CM) career. Can you tell me which is better?

If a structural engineering career is better then I would consider switching out the rest of my environmental classes and take the structural engineering half-track instead. But since I am so far in my degree, taking structural might add an extra semester or two. And the classes will be in Hebrew, which I am not fully fluent in. Therefore my grades might drop (I am currently a deans list student).

If I stay in my construction management & environmental civil engineering track, can I still become a licensed structural engineer in the future?

I am studying in Israel - at the Technion Institute of Technolony - but am from Alberta, Canada

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... Tell you which is better to get you your high income and quality of life. And don't give you an open ended answer.

I can't imagine why you are not getting more responses.

TNesher said:
If I stay in my construction management & environmental civil engineering track, can I still become a licensed structural engineer in the future?

I am studying in Israel - at the Technion Institute of Technolony - but am from Alberta, Canada

As far as licensure as a structural engineer is concerned, the requirements vary from country to country. You need to check with licensing authorities in the locale where you want to practice.

Related to Is structural engineering worth it?

1. Is structural engineering a lucrative career?

Yes, structural engineering is a highly lucrative career. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for structural engineers in 2020 was $93,720. This can vary depending on location, experience, and industry.

2. What degree is required to become a structural engineer?

To become a structural engineer, you typically need at least a bachelor's degree in civil engineering or a related field. Some employers may also prefer or require a master's degree or other advanced education.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in structural engineering?

Some important skills for a career in structural engineering include strong mathematical and analytical skills, attention to detail, problem-solving abilities, and knowledge of engineering software and tools. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as structural engineers often work in teams and interact with clients and other professionals.

4. Is structural engineering a challenging field?

Yes, structural engineering can be a challenging field. It requires a strong understanding of complex mathematical and scientific principles, as well as the ability to solve unique and often difficult problems. Additionally, the responsibility of ensuring the safety and stability of structures can add to the challenge of the job.

5. What are the job prospects for structural engineers?

The job outlook for structural engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 3% from 2019 to 2029, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is about as fast as the average for all occupations. The demand for structural engineers is expected to be driven by the need for infrastructure improvements and new construction projects.