Compress Electrons: Is it Possible?

• Thread starter cas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary: The general misconception is that particles are made of smaller particles ... They are not: They are made of different energy states of the same particle ... Particles are not the result of energy; energy is the result of the particle.Ray.In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is possible to compress an electron and what would happen if it were compressed. The consensus is that it is not possible to compress an electron due to its fundamental nature. Some participants mention the Compton length of an electron and its relationship to its mass, but others argue that this is not relevant to the size of an electron. There is also a brief mention of the Pauli Exclusion Principle and its role in compression. The conversation also touches on the idea of electrons
cas
Does anyone know if it is possible to compress an electron. If it is, what would happen.

Physics news on Phys.org
cas said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to compress an electron.

It is not.

Zz.

I suppose yes.
The Comptonlenght of a free electron certainly is smaller than the Comptonlenght of a neutron in which it is contained. So just capture a free electron and it will be compressed! Pm: Comptonlenght of a particle is inverse proportional to its mass.

The "Compton wavelength" has nothing to do with the size of an object.

It's not a well-stated question. To talk about an electron, you need descriptions from quantum mechanics; concepts such as "the volume of a particle" are not defined.

hurk4 said:
The Comptonlenght of a free electron certainly is smaller than the Comptonlenght of a neutron in which it is contained.

Neutrons do not contain electrons.

I think hurk4 was dealing with neutrons and electrons Compton lengths in a more general way!

However, electron as a particle has a linear dimension of about
[tex]10^{-18}m[\tex], that is better instrumental error which it's
ever been found with. Naturally that electron didn't have a precise
momentum!

Just a thought. Doesn't compressing electrons violate the Pauli Exclusion Principal ?

Best Regrads

Modey3

Compression of electrons

Meir Achuz said:
The "Compton wavelength" has nothing to do with the size of an object.

Ever heard of the Plancklenght where its Schwarzschildradius is assumed to be equal to its Comptonlenght?
Free particles with a mass less then the Planckmass only have a Comptonlenght I suppose. Can you give a better guess of its size?

To Modey3: I think Pauli exclusion principle doesn't play any role. I supposed compression should be only spatial. I don't believe other configurational informations (i.e. spin orbitals) take any meaning here.

Electron can't be compressed, but it's lengnth can change (Get less) when moving in very high speed's which tends to the speed of light
(1/(1-(v^2/c^2))^(1/2)L=L'

That's in relativity theorem

jtbell said:
Neutrons do not contain electrons.

Indeed I have read know ("facts and mysteries inelementary particle physics" page 25) by Martinus Veltman) that if a neutron decays it dis appears and that new particles are created (a proton , an electron and a neutrino). But why than ever speak about quarks where the never appear as single particles?

kind regards

Because one CAN detect the signatures of their existence in particle colliders!

Zz.

How would one even begin to "compress" a fundamental particle such as an electron?!
I don't see how that's possible. Being "fundamental" there are no secondary/tertiary/so on... components to compress.

Compressing an electron ...

1. As in a black hole, singularity ...?

-- or are singularities really one charge radius big ...?

2. As in an electron orbital, mass-energy less than 511KeV by photon emission ...?

3. As caught between converging electromagnetic shockwaves ...?

4. As passing through a medium of high index of refraction ...?...

What do you want to mean, "to compress an electron" ...? Increase mass-energy; decrease; creaseless; laterally, tunneling; longitudinally; flatter...?

5. As the electron radius is hundreds times larger than the γ-ray of equal energy, converging γ-rays equalling two electrons (one anti) must be a highly-compressed equivalence ... Is that compressed enough?
__

6. Why do you insist on jumping new-theory that neutrons do not contain the electron they absorbed to emit, that sounds so presumptuous on that we define as an electron...?- Where does the definition terminate so long as it remains in the same place and is extractible, induced to emission, by neutrino-strike ... or naturally eventually by its half-life ...?

We could equally say electrons in atomic orbitals are not electrons until they are removed, because they have different mass-energies or do not exist at all energies that electrons are capable-of...

Or, Where does the electron go in a deuteron?-- If there is no electron in the deuteron then there is no neutron nor proton, because the electron is shared ... as meaningfully as defining an atomic electron cloud ...

It's nice to recognize additional properties in particle-conjunction, fusion, but the particle-vs.-wave theory is so obsolete it's not even classical but cavemanical...

Ray.

Last edited:
RaymondKennethPetry said:
6. Why do you insist on jumping new-theory that neutrons do not contain the electron they absorbed to emit, that sounds so presumptuous on that we define as the electron...?- Where does the definition terminate so long as it remains in the same place and is extractible eg. by neutrino-strike...?

Could you please point to me the physics (citing a paper would be good) that produces the theory that a neutron has in it an electron? After you do that, then explain to me the fallacy of the weak interaction.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Could you please point to me the physics (citing a paper would be good) that produces the theory that a neutron has in it an electron? After you do that, then explain to me the fallacy of the weak interaction.

Zz.

There are lots of experiments that have not been done or are extremely difficult to cite (even by Internet search) because they did not ask the questions I asked: Myself, I haven't even found proton-electron collisions creating neutrons releasing neutrinos ... I know of nuclear EC ... and even proton-proton collisions produce electrons via Z's ... Collision experiments done in high energy physics boost the incident particles above activation energies: and whatever mass-energy mode is there, by however much mass-energy, results in interesting products ... I'm not suggesting the neutron is not a distinct particle; I'm just saying it's not so distinct as to label a deuteron a new particle too: Both are still fusions of protons and electrons, that can come apart to the original constituents ...

(I think the general confusion is that electrons are small enough mass-energy that it's become fashion to consider them secondary particles resulting from higher energy interactions, instead of elemental.)

Other experiments to try: 1. Collision of a neutron and an electron: Does it stick (It certainly does not repel), and what's its Beta-decay rate: how long does it last in attoseconds (I expect it's less stable than the neutron lasting 614 sec. halflife)? They did it for H-4, Why not negaton-1 (not a negatron)? 2. Collision of a proton and an antielectron: Is there a p++ particle, and how long does it last in attoseconds before shattering in pion-kaon-Z-electron spray?

Ray.

Last edited:
RaymondKennethPetry said:
There are lots of experiments that have not been done or are extremely difficult to cite (even by Internet search) because they did not ask the questions I asked: Myself, I haven't even found proton-electron collisions creating neutrons releasing neutrinos ... I know of nuclear EC ... and even proton-proton collisions produce electrons via Z's ... Collision experiments done in high energy physics boost the incident particles above activation energies: and whatever mass-energy mode is there, by however much mass-energy, results in interesting products ... I'm not suggesting the neutron is not a distinct particle; I'm just saying it's not so distinct as to label a deuteron a new particle too: Both are still fusions of protons and electrons, that can come apart to the original constituents ...

(I think the general confusion is that electrons are small enough mass-energy that it's become fashion to consider them -secondary- particles resulting from higher energy interactions, not elemental particles.)

Other experiments to try: 1. Collision of a neutron and an electron: Does it stick (It certainly does not repel), and what's its Beta-decay rate: how long does it last in attoseconds (I expect it's less stable than the neutron lasting 614 sec. halflife)? They did it for H-4, Why not negaton-1 (not a negatron)? 2. Collision of a proton and an antielectron: Is there a p++ particle, and how long does it last in attoseconds before shattering in pion-kaon-Z-electron spray?

Ray.

So to cut the crap, you have NOTHING, no experimental evidence, no theoretical foundation, to contradict such claims against the Standard Model, which DOES have PLENTY of experimental evidence.

May I sugest, before you go any further, that you REVIEW the PF Guidelines that you have agreed to, and in particular, the overly speculative post.

Since there has been no more development on this thread other than this, I'm closing it (it has gone off-topic). If anyone else here wishes to continue responding to the OP, please PM me and I'll reopen it.

Zz.

Related to Compress Electrons: Is it Possible?

1. Can electrons be compressed?

Yes, electrons can be compressed, but only to a certain extent. According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, the position and momentum of a particle (such as an electron) cannot be known simultaneously. Therefore, compressing electrons too much would violate this principle.

2. Why do we want to compress electrons?

Compressing electrons can have various applications in technology, such as in data storage and transmission, creating more efficient electronic devices, and improving performance in particle accelerators.

3. How is it possible to compress something as small as an electron?

Electrons are not physical objects that can be compressed like a gas or liquid. Instead, they are described as wave-like entities with a probability of existing in a certain location. Compressing electrons involves manipulating their wave function and reducing their spatial distribution.

4. Are there any challenges in compressing electrons?

Yes, there are several challenges in compressing electrons. One of the main challenges is overcoming the repulsive forces between electrons, which can cause them to repel and resist compression. Another challenge is maintaining the compressed state, as electrons tend to quickly spread out due to their high energy.

5. Could compressing electrons lead to new discoveries in physics?

Yes, compressing electrons has the potential to lead to new discoveries in physics. By studying the behavior of compressed electrons, we can gain a better understanding of quantum mechanics and possibly uncover new phenomena and principles in the microscopic world.