Composition of 2 Boosts in Special Relativity

In summary, the composition of two boosts without the rotation that is induced by combining them is not a simple addition of the boost speeds. Two boosts in the same direction result in a single boost, but the relationship between the speeds is more complex. Rotations and boosts are not commutative, and the order in which they are applied affects the result. The use of gyrovector spaces to compose boosts into a pure boost may be interesting, but it is not necessary to understand special relativity.
OniLink++
Most of what I've learned about Special Relativity is self taught using Google and Wikipedia because I'm still in high school, so forgive me if I'm saying something wrong.
Does anyone have the exact equation for the composition of two boosts, without the rotation that's induced by combining two boosts (according to what I've read, a boost followed by a boost is not a pure boost but a boost followed by or preceded by a rotation, which makes sense to me because of effects like relativistic aberration). The article mentioned gyrovector spaces being used to compose two boosts into a pure boost, but I can't find any information on gyrovector spaces. Would anyone mind explaining this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
OniLink++ said:
Most of what I've learned about Special Relativity is self taught using Google and Wikipedia because I'm still in high school, so forgive me if I'm saying something wrong.
Does anyone have the exact equation for the composition of two boosts, without the rotation that's induced by combining two boosts (according to what I've read, a boost followed by a boost is not a pure boost but a boost followed by or preceded by a rotation, which makes sense to me because of effects like relativistic aberration). The article mentioned gyrovector spaces being used to compose two boosts into a pure boost, but I can't find any information on gyrovector spaces. Would anyone mind explaining this to me?

Two boosts in the same direction obvious equals to just a single boost in the same direction. Although, the relationship between the boost speed is not simply: [itex]v \neq v_1 + v_2[/itex].

Any general Lorentz transformation is a rotation + a boost: you first orient your axis along the direction of the moving object, then boost into its frame.

I was pondering something like this in posts 12 and 13 of https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=430956" From what I am able to gather, neither rotations nor boosts are commutative. But two rotations amount to a single rotation in another direction. Likewise, two boosts amount to a single boost in another direction.

If you have motors powering rotations on different axes, it appears to be rotating along several axes at once, but in reality, at any given time, the central object is only rotating along one axis. (that is, unless my conclusion in post 13 from the other thread is somehow flawed.)

Last edited by a moderator:
OniLink++ said:
Does anyone have the exact equation for the composition of two boosts, without the rotation that's induced by combining two boosts.

Equation 11.98 in Classical Electrodynamics by J.D. Jackson (third edition) has three boosts. But I'm not in the mood to type the whole thing in right now.

It looks commutative, but I think in the following sense: If the rapidities are figured in the original reference frame, then they can be applied in any order (right, forward, up). But if the rapidities are figured in the reference frame of the body which is accelerating, in order (right, forward, up) I don't think the operations are commutative.

For instance, if you do a rapidity change of (right 5, forward 5, up 5) That is effectively rotating to point a certain direction, and then accelerating that way in one boost. But if you consecutively execute rapidity changes (right 5) then (forward 5), then (up 5) in your space-ship, this will have a significantly diferent result

OniLink++ said:
The article mentioned gyrovector spaces being used to compose two boosts into a pure boost, but I can't find any information on gyrovector spaces. Would anyone mind explaining this to me?
I strongly doubt that learning about gyrovectors will make it easier to learn special relativity, but if you're interested just out of curiosity, I would guess that this book is the place to start. I haven't read it myself.

Related to Composition of 2 Boosts in Special Relativity

1. What is the composition of two boosts in special relativity?

The composition of two boosts in special relativity is a mathematical operation that combines the effects of two separate boosts on an object's velocity. This is necessary because in special relativity, velocities do not simply add together like they do in classical physics.

2. How do you calculate the composition of two boosts in special relativity?

To calculate the composition of two boosts, you first need to determine the velocities of the object in each boost's frame of reference. Then, you can use the Lorentz transformation equations to calculate the object's velocity in the combined frame of reference.

3. Why is it important to understand the composition of two boosts in special relativity?

Understanding the composition of two boosts is crucial in special relativity because it allows us to accurately predict and calculate the behavior of objects moving at high velocities. This is important in many fields, including particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering.

4. Can the composition of two boosts ever result in a speed greater than the speed of light?

No, the composition of two boosts will never result in a speed greater than the speed of light. According to special relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit for all objects, and no amount of boosting can surpass it.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the composition of two boosts in special relativity?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of the composition of two boosts in special relativity. These include particle accelerators, GPS systems, and spacecraft navigation. Understanding the effects of boosts on an object's velocity is crucial in these applications to ensure accurate and precise measurements and calculations.