Complexity of Algorithm to calculate number of nodes in a binary tree

In summary: CN is equal to the number of nodes in the tree, which is n. Therefore, the complexity is O(n). In summary, the function CN has a time complexity of O(n) in terms of the number of nodes.
Chinta
I guess this is the first question on partly CS topic in this forum. But I think you guys will be able to help me.

I have an algorithm which goes as follows:

int CN(struct node *node)
{
if(node==null)
return 0;
return 1 + CN(node->left) + CN(node->right);
}

My question is that how to calculate the complexity of the above code and what is the complexity in terms of number of nodes n.
The answer that I'm guessing is O(nlogn). But the answer is given as O(n); I'm clueless how to approach to get O(n)?

Technology news on Phys.org
Chinta said:
I guess this is the first question on partly CS topic in this forum. But I think you guys will be able to help me.

I have an algorithm which goes as follows:

int CN(struct node *node)
{
if(node==null)
return 0;
return 1 + CN(node->left) + CN(node->right);
}

My question is that how to calculate the complexity of the above code and what is the complexity in terms of number of nodes n.
The answer that I'm guessing is O(nlogn). But the answer is given as O(n); I'm clueless how to approach to get O(n)?

Lets assume this is a binary tree, and we have decided on worst case. Suppose that \(t(n)\) is the worst case time for a tree of \(n\)-nodes, then strong induction can be used to show that \(t(n) \in O(n)\) using the fact that \(t(n)=k+t(a)+t(n-a-1)\) for some constant \(k\) and \(a\) nodes in the r-tree and \(n-a\) in the l-tree.

That is we are not going to calculate the complexity we are going to prove it is \(O(n)\).

CB

As you said that let's assume this as a binary tree, then we have a=(n/2) and (n-a-1)=(n/2)-1.
Then T(n) can be written as follows:

T(n)=T(n/2) + T{(n/2) -1} + k
=2*T(n/2) + k
as a result of which
T(n)
∈ O(n) .

But in the worst case is "k" not a linear function of n? Assuming each addition takes constant time c, in the worst case it can become "c*(n-1)" [because #additions=(n-1) in worst case,where n = #nodes] whence-forth this recurrence becomes T(n)=
2*T(n/2)+k=2*T(n/2) + c(n-1) => T(n) O(nlogn).

I don't know whether this explanation is right or not..please help!

Last edited:
CaptainBlack said:
Suppose that \(t(n)\) is the worst case time for a tree of \(n\)-nodes, then strong induction can be used to show that \(t(n) \in O(n)\) using the fact that \(t(n)=k+t(a)+t(n-a-1)\) for some constant \(k\) and \(a\) nodes in the r-tree and \(n-a\) in the l-tree.
In order to prove that t(n) is O(n) by induction on n we need to consider some different property P(n); then we prove ∀n P(n) by induction, and "t(n) is O(n)" is going to be a simple corollary of ∀n P(n). This is because we cannot say, e.g., t(0) is O(n): for such statement we have to consider a complete function, not just its individual value. We can, for example, say that there exists a constant C such that t(n) <= C * n.

Chinta said:
As you said that let's assume this as a binary tree, then we have a=(n/2) and (n-a-1)=(n/2)-1.
The fact that the tree is binary does not mean that both subtrees have an (almost) equal number of leaves.

Chinta said:
But in the worst case is "k" not a linear function of n? Assuming each addition takes constant time c, in the worst case it can become "c*(n-1)" [because #additions=(n-1) in worst case,where n = #nodes]
What do you mean by an addition?

I would first prove that the body of the function CN is executed exactly n times where n is the number of nodes. This can be proved by strong induction n as CB said. Each execution of CN, given the results of the recursive calls, takes a constant time, from where it follows that there exists a constant C such that t(n) <= C * n.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
In order to prove that t(n) is O(n) by induction on n we need to consider some different property P(n); then we prove ∀n P(n) by induction, and "t(n) is O(n)" is going to be a simple corollary of ∀n P(n). This is because we cannot say, e.g., t(0) is O(n): for such statement we have to consider a complete function, not just its individual value. We can, for example, say that there exists a constant C such that t(n) <= C * n.

I did not want to be too specific, but what I envisaged for the induction step is the assumption that there is some constant \(C\) such that for all \(n\le N\) for some \(N \in \mathbb{N} \) we had \(t(n)<Cn\). Then when we choose any \( C\ge k \) induction on \(N\) should do the trick, since then we would have proven that there exists a \(C\) such that \(t(r)<C\times r\) for all \(r \in \mathbb{N}\).

CB

Last edited:
I am not concerned about the inductive proof. All I want to know is that whether the constant "k" will be there or not? Because there are (n-1) additions being performed for the statement 1 + CN(node->left) + CN(node->right) and assuming each addition takes "c" unit time then we are getting c(n-1) instead of the constant k in the recurrence t(n)= k+t(n-a)+t(n-a-1). That is what leads to O(nlogn) time,otherwise the time is linear i.e. O(n).

Another thing is that in the worst case the binary tree would have been a full binary tree,in which the number of nodes in the left tree and right tree would almost be the same resulting to "a=n/2" almost.

Help me if I'm wrong somewhere!

Last edited:
Chinta said:
I am not concerned about the inductive proof. All I want to know is that whether the constant "k" will be there or not? Because there are (n-1) additions being performed for the statement 1 + CN(node->left) + CN(node->right) and assuming each addition takes "c" unit time then we are getting c(n-1) instead of the constant k in the recurrence t(n)= k+t(n-a)+t(n-a-1). That is what leads to O(nlogn) time,otherwise the time is linear i.e. O(n).

Another thing is that in the worst case the binary tree would have been a full binary tree,in which the number of nodes in the left tree and right tree would almost be the same resulting to "a=n/2" almost.

Help me if I'm wrong somewhere!

The constant represents the overheads and common operations of counting a root node and calling the counting routine with the left and right subtrees.

Untill proven otherwise tiy do not know that the worst case timing of an n-node tree is for a full tree.

CB

So is k a constant at all or a linear function of n?

Chinta said:
So is k a constant at all or a linear function of n?

It is a constant (it does not depend on n since all you are doing is some pointer manipulation and calling functions etc).

CB

Many thanks...I had a wrong concept about this thing. You made it clear.

(Whew)

Related to Complexity of Algorithm to calculate number of nodes in a binary tree

What is the complexity of an algorithm to calculate the number of nodes in a binary tree?

The complexity of an algorithm to calculate the number of nodes in a binary tree is O(n), where n is the number of nodes in the tree. This means that the time needed to run the algorithm increases linearly with the number of nodes in the tree.

Why is the complexity of this algorithm O(n)?

The complexity is O(n) because in order to calculate the number of nodes in a binary tree, we need to visit each node once. Since there are n nodes in the tree, the time complexity will be directly proportional to n.

Is there a more efficient algorithm to calculate the number of nodes in a binary tree?

Yes, there are more efficient algorithms such as using a recursive function or keeping track of the number of nodes while inserting or deleting nodes in the tree. These algorithms have a time complexity of O(log n) or O(1) respectively.

How does the complexity of this algorithm compare to other algorithms for binary trees?

The complexity of this algorithm (O(n)) is considered to be in the middle range. There are algorithms with better time complexity such as O(log n) for searching and sorting in a binary tree, and there are algorithms with worse time complexity such as O(n^2) for deleting a node from a binary tree.

Can the complexity of this algorithm be improved?

Yes, the complexity of this algorithm can be improved by using more efficient algorithms or by optimizing the current algorithm. However, the time complexity of O(n) is already considered to be quite efficient and may not need further improvement in most cases.