Complex Frequency Derivation-Magically Appearing "j"s

In summary, complex frequency is a mathematical concept used in electrical engineering and signal processing to represent oscillations in a system, consisting of a real and imaginary part. The letter "j" is used to represent the imaginary part in order to avoid confusion with current symbol "I". "J"s are not magical but rather a fundamental part of the representation and used to simplify calculations. This concept can be applied to any type of signal and has practical applications in analyzing and designing filters, understanding system behavior, solving equations, and in control systems and signal processing.
biker.josh07

Homework Statement

From Hayt "Engineering Circuit Analysis". I'm just wondering how the imaginary "j" multipliers appeared.
upload_2017-12-21_1-58-48.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

DSC_0068.JPG

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-21_1-58-48.png
    upload_2017-12-21_1-58-48.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 915
  • DSC_0068.JPG
    DSC_0068.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 679
Physics news on Phys.org
biker.josh07 said:
From Hayt "Engineering Circuit Analysis". I'm just wondering how the imaginary "j" multipliers appeared.
I think that the "magic" involved was a printer's error. Looks like a typo in the text to me.

Likes scottdave

Related to Complex Frequency Derivation-Magically Appearing "j"s

1. What is a complex frequency?

A complex frequency is a mathematical concept used in electrical engineering and signal processing to represent oscillations in a system. It consists of two parts: a real part (ω) and an imaginary part (jω), where j is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What is the significance of "j" in complex frequency derivation?

The letter "j" is used to represent the imaginary part of a complex frequency. In electrical engineering, it is a common practice to use "j" instead of "i" to avoid confusion with the symbol for current (I). Therefore, in complex frequency derivation, "j" is used to indicate the imaginary component of the complex frequency.

3. How do "j"s magically appear in complex frequency derivation?

"J"s do not magically appear in complex frequency derivation. They are a fundamental part of the mathematical representation of complex frequencies and are used to simplify calculations and analysis of signals and systems.

4. Can complex frequency derivation be applied to any type of signal?

Yes, complex frequency derivation can be applied to any type of signal, including continuous-time, discrete-time, and digital signals. It is a versatile mathematical tool used in various fields of engineering.

5. What are some practical applications of complex frequency derivation?

Complex frequency derivation has several practical applications, including analyzing and designing filters, understanding the behavior of systems with feedback, and solving differential equations in circuit analysis. It is also used in the design of control systems and in signal processing applications such as Fourier transforms and frequency domain analysis.