KCL with phasors: how to proceed knowing effective values

In summary, the problem involves three sinusoidal currents with the same frequency converging at a circuit node, with known effective values for two of the currents. Using Kirchhoff's Current Law and converting to phasors, we can express the equation as a sum of complex exponentials. However, this is not necessary to find the interval of values for the effective current of the third current. By considering the maximum and minimum values for i3, we can determine the phase difference between any two currents and thus obtain the interval of values for I3ef.
Granger

Homework Statement

I have the following problem. Consider a circuit node where 3 sinusoidal currents with the same frequency converge, i1 i2 and i3. Knowing that the effective values of i1 and i2 are I1ef=1A and I2ef=2A. What can we say about I3ef:

Options:
$$(a)1A \leq I_{3ef} \leq 3A$$
$$(b)0 \leq I_{3ef} \leq 3A$$
$$(c)2A \leq I_{3ef} \leq 3A$$

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
My attempt:
So using KCL we have:
$$i_1+i_2+i_3=0$$

Using phasors
$$\overline{I_1}+\overline{I_2}+\overline{I_3}=0$$

where $$\overline{I_i}=I_ie^{j\phi_i}$$

Then
$$I_1e^{j\phi_1}+I_2e^{j\phi_2}+I_3e^{j\phi_3}=0 $$

Because $$I_i=I_{efi}\sqrt{2}$$ then:

$$I_{ef1}\sqrt{2}e^{j\phi_1}+I_{ef2}\sqrt{2}e^{j\phi_2}+I_{ef3}\sqrt{2}e^{j\phi_3}=0 $$

Now I'm stuck in this. I don't know how should I proceed from this to obtain the interval of values for I3ef. I think the complex exponentials are what is bothering me. Can someone help me?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you don't need complex exponentials here. Just think about the case where you'll get maximum and minimum values for i3.
What should be the phase difference between any two currents in that case?

Related to KCL with phasors: how to proceed knowing effective values

1. What is KCL with phasors and how is it different from regular KCL?

KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) with phasors is a method used to analyze electrical circuits in the frequency domain. It involves representing all voltages and currents as complex numbers known as phasors, which take into account the magnitude and phase of the signals. This is different from regular KCL, which deals with instantaneous values in the time domain.

2. How do I calculate effective values in KCL with phasors?

To calculate effective values in KCL with phasors, you need to convert the complex phasor values to their equivalent RMS (root mean square) values. This can be done by taking the square root of the sum of squared magnitudes of the phasors.

3. What is the procedure for solving a circuit using KCL with phasors?

The first step is to convert all voltages and currents in the circuit to their corresponding phasor values. Then, apply KCL at each node in the circuit, taking into account the direction and magnitude of the phasors. Use complex algebra to solve for the unknown phasor values. Finally, convert the phasor values back to their equivalent RMS values to obtain the effective values.

4. What are the advantages of using KCL with phasors?

KCL with phasors allows for easier analysis of circuits in the frequency domain, as it eliminates the need to deal with complex trigonometric functions. It also allows for the use of complex algebra, which simplifies the calculations. Additionally, it provides a more accurate representation of the behavior of circuits at different frequencies.

5. Can KCL with phasors be used for any type of circuit?

Yes, KCL with phasors can be used for any type of circuit, as long as the voltages and currents involved are sinusoidal. It is particularly useful for analyzing AC circuits, such as those used in power systems, audio equipment, and communication systems.