Complex analysis book with lots of solved problems?

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with learning complex analysis and looking for textbooks with solved problems. Some recommendations were Complex Analysis by Serge Lang, Schaum's Outline of Complex Variables, and Problems and Theorems in Analysis II by George Polya and Gabor Szegö. Other suggestions were A Collection of Problems on Complex Analysis by Volkovyskii Lunts, and Aramanovich. The student was also advised to solve problems on their own before looking at the answers and to be cautious of mistakes and different methods.
stgermaine
Hi. I am taking complex analysis over the summer and I am having a difficult time learning the concepts. I've tried reading several dfiferent textbooks, and though they sometimtes state the same theorem using different wording, different arguments, etc, I am still having a hard time understanding it.

I often learn best when I solve problems that use concepts, but a lot of these textbooks do not have many problems or detailed step by step solutions.

What are some good complex analysis books with many solved problems?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Be sure to solve problems on your own before looking at the answers and watch out for mistakes and strange methods.
Complex Analysis by Serge Lang has a solution book Problems and Solutions for Complex Analysis by Rami Shakarchi.
There are some humorous reviews on amazon and

Schaum's Outline of Complex Variables is worth a look.

Problems and Theorems in Analysis II: Theory of Functions. Zeros. Polynomials. Determinants. Number Theory. Geometry by George Polya and Gabor Szegö is a classic, the problems are hard though. I forget which volume has most of the complex analysis stuff.

There are many more choices without many solved problemssuch as A Collection of Problems on Complex Analysis by Volkovyskii Lunts, and Aramanovich.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Complex analysis book with lots of solved problems?

1. What is the best complex analysis book for beginners?

The best complex analysis book for beginners is "Complex Variables and Applications" by James Ward Brown and Ruel V. Churchill. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject with clear explanations and plenty of solved problems.

2. How many solved problems are typically included in a complex analysis book?

The number of solved problems included in a complex analysis book can vary, but most books will have at least 100 solved problems. Some books may have up to 500 or more solved problems.

3. Are there any complex analysis books with step-by-step solutions?

Yes, there are many complex analysis books that include step-by-step solutions to help readers understand the problem-solving process. Examples of such books include "Schaum's Outline of Complex Variables" by Murray Spiegel and "Complex Analysis: A First Course with Applications" by Dennis G. Zill and Patrick Shanahan.

4. Can I find complex analysis books with online resources or practice problems?

Yes, many complex analysis books come with online resources such as additional practice problems, interactive quizzes, and video tutorials. Some examples of such books include "Complex Analysis" by Theodore W. Gamelin and "Complex Variables for Scientists and Engineers" by John D. Paliouras.

5. What is the level of difficulty of complex analysis books with solved problems?

The level of difficulty of complex analysis books with solved problems can vary. Some books are designed for beginners and start with the basics, while others are more advanced and assume some prior knowledge of the subject. It is important to choose a book that matches your level of understanding and mathematical background.