Complete theromodynamics book?

In summary, there are several recommended books for thermodynamics including Kittel and Kroemer's Thermal Physics, Reif's Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics, Landau and Lifsh*tz's Statistical Physics part 1, Adkins' Equilibrium Thermodynamics, Kestin's A Course in Thermodynamics, and Zemansky's Heat and Thermodynamics. Some of these books may have old-fashioned notations, but they provide a thorough understanding of thermodynamics. It is important to specify whether you are looking for a thermodynamics book, a thermal physics book, or a statistical mechanics book as they have subtle differences.
pivoxa15
I have used Shroeder's Intro to Thermal Physics but found it a bit non rigorous and uncomplete. It tries to cover every aspect of thermal physics in a non detail fashion. Does anyone know of any good thermodynamics book that covers the thermodymaics very completely and clearly?

Physics news on Phys.org
My suggestions would be either Kittel and Kroemer's Thermal Physics or Reif's Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics.

I second these recommendations.

las3rjock said:
My suggestions would be either Kittel and Kroemer's Thermal Physics or Reif's Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics.

The former looks a bit old with notations that seem too old and students these days not used to them.

Kittel/Kroemer looks old-fashioned compared to Reif?! :bugeye: My next suggestion would be Landau and Lifsh*tz's Statistical Physics part 1, but we're rapidly moving out of undergraduate territory and firmly into graduate territory.

Also, can you specify whether you want a thermodynamics book, a thermal physics book, or a statistical mechanics book? I know they sound like they're all the same thing, but there are subtle differences. My first two suggestions were for thermal physics, but I have some different suggestions if you're looking for thermodynamics.

las3rjock said:
Kittel/Kroemer looks old-fashioned compared to Reif?! :bugeye: My next suggestion would be Landau and Lifsh*tz's Statistical Physics part 1, but we're rapidly moving out of undergraduate territory and firmly into graduate territory.

Also, can you specify whether you want a thermodynamics book, a thermal physics book, or a statistical mechanics book? I know they sound like they're all the same thing, but there are subtle differences. My first two suggestions were for thermal physics, but I have some different suggestions if you're looking for thermodynamics.

Now having seen Reif, they both seem old fashioned. I am looking for an indepth thermodynamics book with newish notations.

Hmm, I'm not sure what new notations are. The notations used in the books, as well as in current papers on, e.g., non-equilibrium statistical mechanics, are pretty much unchanged from the days of Boltzmann and Gibbs.

For thermodynamics, I would recommend Adkins' Equilibrium Thermodynamics. Another book that has been mentioned in a different thread in this forum is Kestin's A Course in Thermodynamics. The classic introductory text is Zemansky's Heat and Thermodynamics, but it's probably not as modern as you would like.

Related to Complete theromodynamics book?

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the properties of matter and energy, and how they interact with each other. It is the study of the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy.

2. Why is thermodynamics important?

Thermodynamics is important because it helps us understand and predict how energy can be transformed from one form to another. This knowledge has practical applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology.

3. What is included in a complete thermodynamics book?

A complete thermodynamics book typically covers topics such as the laws of thermodynamics, thermodynamic processes, thermodynamic systems, and heat engines. It may also include discussions on specific applications, such as refrigeration and power generation.

4. How does thermodynamics relate to other branches of science?

Thermodynamics has connections to many other branches of science, including physics, chemistry, engineering, and biology. It provides a framework for understanding energy and its interactions in various systems.

5. Is thermodynamics a difficult subject to learn?

Like any scientific subject, thermodynamics can be challenging to grasp at first. However, with patience and practice, anyone can understand the basic concepts and applications of thermodynamics. It is a fundamental subject in many fields, so it is worth the effort to learn.